Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #1  

Smitty8466

Hi! I'm looking to upgrade my JD4500 to something I can do more farming with. I've narrowed my choices to the Kubota M9000 or a JD 5525.

I've spent quite a bit of time researching each machine and a little time driving each one. To me, there is no clear winner.

The Kubota has marginally better hp/lift capacity.

The Deere has better "ergonomics" but it's a "new" design - including some engine tweaks.

The Kubota is a tried and true design but is certainly a little dated.

How does everyone feel about having lots of electronics as part of the tractor - particularly from a longevity perspective? I plan on having this tractor for a long time. The Kubota has a nice hydro-shuttle transmission. To get this on the Deere you have to go to the e-Hydro Power Reversr with e-FWD as well. To me, this means that two key systems are being controlled by switches/processors. Is this going to be a problem in the long term?

Of course, the Deere is also ~$2500-$3000 more than the Kubota.

The Deere dealer is nearby (15 minutes). The Kubota dealer is 35 minutes away.

In either case, I'll be buying a Quicke Q940 FEL. I've found it to be more robust than the Deere 542 and Kubota does not offer a self-leveling loader for the m9000.

Anyone have any thoughts that would tip the scale one way or the other?

Thanks!

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #2  
I vote M9000, as you say it is a proven design. The old 5000 series Deere had a Yanmar chassis, a Deere engine, and was assembled in the US. Is the new 5000 different? That doesn't make it bad, but it doesn't make it "updated". Do not get mesmerized by electronic functions, some are necessary and others are not, and some electric fuctions have become trouble shooting nightmares
Chuck M.

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #3  
The 5x20 and 5x00 series never had a Yanmar chassis. The chassis for the 5000 series has always been a Deere design. The new 25 series is very nice. I tryed one out this weekend and if we can make the deal I'm going to trade my 5303 on a 5325. The ergonomics are outstanding. The SCV's now have the 7000 series couplers which are beyond compare in this range. Virtually no chance of contamination and hooking up and unhooking are a breeze. The nose is extended to help with stability. Very nice. Fit and finish is great. The new engines are much quieter. Overall a very, very nice upgrade from the 20 series.

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #4  
My first assumption is electronics simplify, automate & give limp home (partial functionality) options.

However in a tractor a mouse ate wire causing intermittents could be difficult to troubleshoot - especially after the warranty expires & the tech is head scratching while the meter is running on your dime.

I use a tractor about 150 hours a year. This leaves 61,170 hours a year for stuff to happen.

About 25% of that time I'm outside the tractor anyway not in it. If I put a pile of seat time on it then best ergos would be a higher priority.

I treated the new utility tractor buy as a safety expense to get work done. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #5  
I have a M6800 and a JD5210. I have driven a JD5520 a couple of hours. Both the JD and Kubota have their good points and you want go wrong with either. It is hard to beat the green, but boy do I like the Kubota. I have no experience with the new JD line out.

If I were to pick between the two I believe I would go with the Kubota unless you go up to the JD 6000 line and then it would be JD, but a lot more expensive.

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #6  
Smitty, I'd have to vote M9000 course I'm partial I own a new one as of November, The truth is I'm a tractor newbie but very meticulous in my research and I still have to side with the dealer makes the tractor. Now I'm going to get a whole slew of guys saying yeah but after 3 years it makes no difference. I say horse apples, I'm in this for the long haul and my dealer is also they've been in the business since 1948. Which doesn't make a hill of beans since they could go out of business tommorrow but it does not seem like that at all. I have access within 30 miles or less to every tractor I've ever seen mentioned on this site and I went to them all and test drove all the big 3 tractors in the size I wanted and also most of the other brands. The Kubota just seemed like it operated easier for me and the dealer was truly interested in my best interest. As a matter of fact last week I got a Hay King disc harrow from him and many people on the site said I would need a cultipacker also in order to get the seed in at the right depth, I went and talked to my salesman and he said no he would not sell me a cultipacker or any other type of roller with the rocks out here he said it wouldn't do a good job to start with and besides I'm planting wildlife food plots and whether I get 50% germination or 80% the deer and turkey will be just as happy. He said keep your money and put it in good seed and fertilizer. He doesn't sell either, now I'm convinced that all my research was not a waste of time I think I found the last honest salesman on the planet.
As for your predicament I say go to both make your best deal, hang out around their service department, those guys love to talk, watch what they're doing and how they are doing it. If they are equal get the cheapest one if not buy from the folks doing the right thing with all their customers not just the guy in there wanting to spend $30K+. If you hang around long enough and just pay attention you'll find a lot out about the dealer that they don't advertise. I really did do this and it probably sounds stupid but prior to this I'd never owned a tractor but I am the CEO of a small printing company and I can read people quite well. I wear jeans to work every day and I own 1 suit its my wedding and funeral attire. I have managed to learn a lot about tractors with all my research but I learned a lot more about the dealers around me and the kind of people they are, I like to deal with winners and Kubota was the one for me but it was based mostly on the people because frankly I really am color blind I don't know if you know about the t.u. VS TEXAS A&M rivavlry but A&M's color is Maroon and t.u. is burn't orange they tell me dang near the color of my tractor now if I can find a good paint shop my life is complete.
Steve

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #7  
I can't say anything about the Kubota except I'm sure they are good machines. If you are getting a cab model, ask around if the AC is adequate in the summer.

We have a 5420 with E/powerreverser and I love it. The ergonomics along with the isolated platform make it a dream to drive. I feel totally comfortable doing dirtwork within an inch of my new home with the smooth clutch/tranny feel. The power steering is so smooth and easy as with the FEL joystick operation (which is far superior to the one on my 4310).

I'm going to make a bunch of people mad here but, it really makes driving a smaller tractor across a bumpy field seem like a pain in the you know where. THERE IS NO COMPARISON to a compact tractor.

I say drive them both at least 3 times before you make up your mind. And, like mentioned above, check out the service dept. and parts. Deere has online parts lookup and ordering.

Good luck...Kyle

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #8  
Hey Smitty
Could you tell us about what kind of money you are talking about? A few months ago when I was pricing a Kubota M9000 and a green machine they were not even close.I live in north west Illinois.
Thanks

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #9  
You didn't say if you were looking at cab models or not. I own a Kubota M9000, Hydraulic shuttle, cab, LA1251A loader.

I am not familiar with the Quicke loaders, but if you are getting a cab model, I would want to see how the joystick mounts inside. The one for the Kubota is quite nice and I like the adjustments. When adjusted the way I like it, it makes disembarking from the right side challenging. I don't know if this is typical for a tractor or not. I also tried to look up the weight specs for the Q940. From what I can tell, its not clear to me how it could be more robust with its weight. I can vouch for the LA1251 being a strong loader. If you intend to use it at full capacity, I recommend evaluating this closely.

I am also curious if you have ever used a self leveling loader. I haven't. As I understand this, it is implemented with a mechanical override in the joystick (maybe not on a JD). I did not think I would like this, but I haven't used one of Kubota's. I have been thinking about designing a microprocessor controlled self leveler for grins with some nice features.

At some point I would like to hear more about the inferior ergonomics of the Kubota. I think they are very good. In the beginning I thought they were strange. But after using I find everything is right there. Maybe it depends on how one is using the tractor.

I think electronics on a tractor are good. Electronics can offer some nice productivity gains. Major manufactures are better at building the most robust units. I have seen some pretty impressive things that JD was working on. I remember years ago, folks had the same concerns about cars.

I don't think I helped with the weighting. I do like the M9000. Of course until now I didn't realize I was driving an old looking tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The cab is really nice, quiet, and comfortable. On the hot days we have had, anything above minimum will freeze you. The new Series III really beefed up the AC. Ask me in August. When I was looking I found a lot bigger price difference than you are describing.

/ Need Advice: Kubota M9000 or JD 5525 #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How does everyone feel about having lots of electronics as part of the tractor )</font>
In the case of Deere the electronics help find the problem with fault codes, at least on my 4310. No matter what there are way more electronics on my automobiles than on the tractor and they hold up fine.
Ergonomics are also very important.
As far as price, if the Deere is $3000 more and you own it 20 years, that's $150 a year. Is it worth an extra $150 a year?