Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors

/ Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors #1  

baray

Very new to this! Just purchased 5.5 acres. Mostly grassy with some brush. Also have two new horses. The land has genle slopes in spots. My question is what type of equipment do I need to maintain the field? Not sure how much the horses will eat down. Looking for the cheapest most reliable way out. Attachment capability would be nice, but not a MUST. If I could, I would use a post hole digger, a bucket in front to move sand, dirt, and manure, and maybe a blade to smooth the driveway. Any help would be appreciated. Afterall, Im very very new to this. North Central Texas area.

/ Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors #2  
You have a lot of need for attachments, whether you know it or not right now.

5.5 acres for me would be the thin line between sub and compact tractoring.........although if I were to move to 5.5, my wife would never let me get another new tractor.

With no hills to speak of or slopes that are "really sloping" I would probably go with compact. Implements are going to be coming, no way around it. The horses will help with pasture grooming, but you may want to drag it sometime. You may want a garden or 2 and a tiller will be welcome.

What does the owner have now? What are the building plans, landscaping plans, Lots of work will follow.

As for color, I am partial to Orange, but that is not as important as dealer, deal, service, trust, availability during down time, implement purchase verses renting, and mobility of the equipment to the dealer for service.

Good Luck with whatever and remember photos are nice and we love them on here. Nothing like a new tractor to spruce up the site

/ Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors #3  
Your going to need a york rake before anything else. Those horses will make quite a mess in no time. Is you land cross fenced? Do you have a "throw away" pasture?

I use my rake more than *any* other implement. I just may "reseed" my lawn again this year! Rake it!

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors #4  
I would guess you would want to look at something in the 20-35 HP range. MFWD, FEL and CAT I 3 pt. with some type of EZ hitch system. I'm getting lazy as I get older, I like hydro as opposed to gear. Try to do some thinking/planning now regarding whether or not you wil need HYD ports out the back for atachments. Thinking about attachments; 5-6 FT finish mower, Post hole digger, drag harrow, 5-6 FT Rear blade and possibly a Rotary mower for rough stuff if you need it.

My guess is eventually you will add a smaller unit dedicaed to "lawn mowing."

As far as brand goes; I go with the main brands mostly, but have had alot of fun with some of the "pond crossers."

/ Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors #5  
budget budget budget.....we (unfortunately) need to know how much you are prepared to spend....if you are broke you could try to mow those fields with an old garden tractor...not a good way to do it, but it has been tried before....one time I mowed a 2 acre former corn field with a 48" belly mower on a garden tractor. Notice I said 'one time'....after the 100th rock went banging out of the mower stalling the motor I cried uncle and bought a proper tractor.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No doubt, a small compact or sub compact with loader would be perfect - cost starting at $13,000 new with loader and rear blade, you would also need the rake and a brush mower.....but......what were you thinking of spending?

/ Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors #6  
Welcome to the board.

It boils down to how much of your money are you willing to let us spend??? We're pretty good at it.

I generally believe in getting the right tools to do a job. Cutting a 5-1/2 acre pasture with a garden tractor is going to be hard on you and the machine. You'll likely be replacing that garden tractor in a few years, so I'd go for a sub-compact like the Kubota BX or equivalent from the start or even a small compact in the +/- 25hp range, 30 hp max. That'll get you a machine that you can actually do some work with, that'll take some abuse and give you the option to add good quality attachments as you need them in the future. Believe me, when you see what one of those little machines is capable of, you'll want to add "stuff" to make life easier and get things done faster.

Now, initially this is a lot more expensive way to go than the garden tractor route but the economics are such, that if you keep the subcompact for 10-15 years you'll come out ahead. By that time you'll probably be on your 3rd expensive garden tractor.

From an ownership satisfaction standpoint, I don't think there is any comparison, the subcompact/compact wins every time. These little machines are just so darned useful, especially as you get older and your back gets weaker.

/ Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors #7  
the economics are such, that if you keep the subcompact for 10-15 years you'll come out ahead. By that time you'll probably be on your 3rd expensive garden tractor.
=============
Not so sure about that.
I have a 39 yr. old Bolens I bought new in 1966.
Wonder If My new Kubota will last that many years ?

BUDGET HOMES CO.

/ Advice on Garden / Compact Tractors #8  
I'd have to agreee with those who are recommending that you not go the garden tractor route. You'll beat it (and yourself) to death in no time.

A smaller compact would be great if you can afford it. A subcompact would save you some money and still be able to do the jobs you need done. Another alternative is to buy an older 2WD tractor, such as a Ford 8N with a loader. They're quite a bit cheaper than going new, and still have the ability to use some implements on the 3 point hitch. You lose some traction over 4WD, but it's manageable with the right tires and ballast, if your terrain and soil conditions aren't too challenging.

John Mc