Mahindra Vs. Kioti

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #1  

craigw

Tractor
CK20 HST
All,

Looking on buying my first tractor and have it narrowed down between the Mahindra 2615 HST and the Kioti CK 30 HST. Test drove both and they feel very similar. Price is almost identical. Tractor with FEL, 60" box scrapper and 60" Bush Hog. I have 3 acers, 2 acers are a pasture. I will be using it for landscaping around the house we just built as well as taking care of the pasture and mowing. My concern is that will the Mahindra have enought power or should I just go with the Kioti? The Kioti weights almost 600 lbs. more that the Mahindra. My property (No. Calif. ) get very wet in winter, but very hard clay and hardpan in the summer. So I guess the question is lighter tractor with less HP (Mahindra) or heavier tractor with 4 more HP (Kioti).

Thanks for all the great posts,
Craig

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #2  
For 3 total acres, I would seriously consider downsizing to the CK20 or the Mahindra 2015. I think you may regret buying a fairly large tractor for that size property. After you are done with your landscaping projects you will have a large tractor that won't be very easy to use for the smaller jobs when the trees and shrubs start to fill in. A 20hp class machine can easily do the mowing chores. Both brands are good quality, which dealership do you like better? Which machine feels better to you?

Heck, you might even want to consider a Sub-CUT like the BX series Kubotas, GS Massey or TZ New Holland. All are capable and all are excellent at mowing.

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti
Thanks for the responce,

Do you think the the Kubota BX can really do all that. My concern is the pasture, not really the grass around the house. I would really like to have a BH and would add one down the road on the Kioti or the Mahindra. Can the BX really work on the box scrapper, bush hog etc...or is it a electronic wheelbarrow with a lightweight digging attactment? Not to flame BX owners, but once you buy, it would suck to keep thinking, I should have gone with more HP.

Craig

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #4  
If you don't think you'll be needing it for anything else, then I would have to agree with Bob and go with the 20HP'ish tractor.

I have just shy of 4 acres and my CK20 has done everything I've asked without any grunting what-so-ever. Also, by getting the CK20, the money difference will get you quite a few implements.

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #5  
Craigw,

I would test both the Kioti and the Mahindra models that you want. You know your property better than any of us, and if you want a larger tractor then by all means go for it!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I only have 9 acres and use a 65HP tractor!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Could I get by with a 20HP or 30HP tractor? Probably. Am I going to? Absolutely not!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good luck on your decision, RedDog

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #6  
I sure wouldn't tell Bob this but he does have a pretty good idea there. You have two jobs that may require two tractors to do each job perfectly. Well we all can't afford two tractors so you need to buy based on what you will be doing for the long haul. It may require at first even renting out a tractor to do what you won't be doing much. But you have to be the one to make up the final decision here. Weight for finish mowing may be a factor also with the heavier rigs. I finish mow with a New Holland TC29D and I do have to watch it on wetter days.

murph

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #7  
I agree with Bob for the most part. Any of those he mentioned would do what you want/need to do, probably with no problem.
However, you can buy a CK20, a small frame CUT that has a position control 3pt hitch, not a 1/4 inching 3pt like the BX for more accurate placement of implements, a full category 1 hitch, not a limited as on the BX (some implements just don't fit well because of the smaller size), and the cost of the CK20 with a loader and a backhoe and a brush mower would be just a bit more than a BX.
You'd be getting a machine that isn't terribly heavy, but heavier, has higher clearance, more lift capacity on the loader and the 3pt, a sloped hood and curved arm loader. Just a lot more tractor and it'll do everything you want and more.
I maintain 2,4, and 5 acres as well as jobs for a few neighbors who have large pastures, and the CK20 is all I really need.
Would I rather have the CK30? Sure, but I don't NEED it.
But as for your choices, the Mahindra or the CK30 would do you fnie. I know both models, and of course, prefer the CK30 because of all it offers over the Mahindra. But if they're really close, I believe the Kioti is a better offer. John

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #8  
<font color="red">

Do you think the the Kubota BX can really do all that. My concern is the pasture, not really the grass around the house. I would really like to have a BH and would add one down the road on the Kioti or the Mahindra. Can the BX really work on the box scrapper, bush hog etc...or is it a electronic wheelbarrow with a lightweight digging attactment? Not to flame BX owners, but once you buy, it would suck to keep thinking, I should have gone with more HP. </font>

Midwest makes some great box blades at modest prices. They make 3 versions, the 15 series for SUB-Compacts, the 20 series is Standard duty and the 30 series Heavy Duty. Many folks find the 15 series to be suitable for more small frame CUTs in addition to Sub-CUTs which will attest to their robust designs. I've seen my neighbor do some amazing things with his BX1500 and his 48" box blade on 4 acers of land, including grooming his gravel drive for 8 years, cutting drainage swales in hard clay soil, etc.

As for regretting the lack of HP a BX might offer, I'd point out that that most of the BX class of machine has more HP than either the Mahnidra 2015 or Kioti CK20. And if you are a real HP junkie who only needs a small tractor (like I am), then take a look at the New Holland TZ26, it is a Sub-CUT with a 26hp engine. But I honestly don't see that you need it.

As for cutting the pasture, my suggestion would be to rent a 48" rotary cutter, cut it down, then maintain it with your finish mower and it will actually turn into a lawn. By keeping it mowed, the weeds will die off and the natural prairie grasses will fill in. You could overseed it with turf grass if you felt you wanted to speed the process of creating the lawn. Most of my lawn is simply reclaimed prairie, I knocked it down and then maintained it with a finish mower. Works great.

Now I am NOT a fan of the little backhoes, but there are many folks here on TBN who love them. I personally don't think they are capable enough to justify the cost, mine sits unattached most of the time and I typically rent a BIG one when I need to get some real work done. But that disclaimer aside, there are lots of folks here who have done amazing things with small backhoes. A 30hp class tractor is going to have a backhoe sized at about 7' to 7.5', one of the smaller units might only get you a bh with 6.5' but it will still dig a good size hole, just a little bit slower.

Don't underestimate the small tractors, HP is more of an issue with the PTO powered implements than with most anything else. And also understand that there are many people who would maintain a 3 acre property with nothing more than a Sears garden tractor. So from that perspective, a Sub-CUT or a small frame CUT is going to be a huge leap up in capabilities. A 20hp diesel Sub-CUT or small frame CUT will easily pull a 25hp garden tractor around the yard as if nothing is attached to the rear of the machine. Don't confuse high HP gas engines with diesel torque provided by a modest size diesel.

I would also suggest one thing. Get a 60" Mid Mount Mower, you'll find it easy to learn how to use and just rent the rotary cutter for one day to knock down the 2 acres. You'll save a bunch of money by not buying the rotary cutter, and the MMM will easily maintain the pasture and turn it into yard quicker than you realize.

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #9  
Keep in mind that most higher HP subCUT's have the same powerplant used in their small frame CUT cousins (i.e. JD2210 & 4110, BX22 & B1700, etc.) Engine HP\torque is not an issue with these subCUT's. The only real handicap of the subCUT class is ground clearance. On the other hand, if you add a BH to a CUT, the clearance advantage is lost due to the low hanging subframe. When I considered that a comparably equipped BX22 TLB was over $4,000.00 cheaper than a CK20 or B7500, I went with the BX.

/ Mahindra Vs. Kioti #10  
To expand a smidge on what Bob said about backhoes, Mahindra sizes a 7.5' hoe for their 2015 20HP tractor. I have not seen a manufacturer hoe like this on any other machine in this class size. If you need a backhoe with all the reach you can get and are going to size it down to the small-chassis CUT, the Mahindra may be a better choice. When comparing the specs for the Kioti CK20 and Mahindra 2015, I don't think you will find any other two machines so closely matched as these two are. As you may have picked up by now, I am agreeing with the others in saying that a small-chassis machine may be better. Whichever you decide on, you are getting a winner. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif