Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA #1  

newcountry

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota BX2230
I've gone from looking for a big garden tractor to the sub-compact arena and now I'm down to three. I've got at least one bid for the above three and will post at the bottom. Have not ridden the CC or NH yet, loved everything but the hydrostatic pedal (same as on the NH, like a teeter-totter /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). I've already kicked the JD 2210 off the island b/c price (Only price yet that I've haggled on and still more than these three)and I really can't understand the placement of the joystick placement for FEL on the JD, it's completely in the way if I want to get off on that side /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. It just wasn't as comfortable riding as the Kubota, IMO.

My closest Kubota dealer also carries CC and JD, and says hands down Kubota is the best in sub-compact arena. Different salesman told me the same when I was looking at garden tractors. That carries a lot of weight to me. He's also got the highest bid for the Kubota, hope he'll match b/c they've worked with my wife's family for couple generations. Unfortunately, don't like the closest CC dealer much. And will go ride the NH if there's enough positive opinion on them here.

OK, prices -
Kubota BX2230 w/ FEL and 60in MM $13,245.00 ($14,100 from preferred dealer)
Cub Cadet w/ FEL, 60in MM, and box blade (Land Pride) $13,500.00
NH TZ24DA w/ FEL and 60inMMM $14,692.00. Interestingly enough, I was inquiring about the TZ22 and he gave me the same price for both. Ideas on why that may be?

None of these have been negotiated, just initial inquiries.

So, decent prices for starting? Any ideas on a reasonable amount to take off List price? How about the NH, is it any better, worse, same as the Kubota - I just started looking into this one? I don't know why, but I still like the Cub, I can't seem to mark it off the list yet.

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA #2  
Not a bad price on the Cub, although I could tell you more if you were to break the prices down for me...but from what I can tell its not bad.

Cub actually has a comparison of these two units on their web site. Cub has better loader lift capacity, equals the Kubota in lift capacity 24" aft, and weighs a little more (which is a good thing). Hydraulic flow between the two units is equal. Kubota has marks for slightly larger fuel tank as well as having wet brakes (which is a huge plus).

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA #3  
Take a hard look at the New Holland or the Case Ih Subcompact. They are the same tractors with the exception of the trim and the color. Here are a few things you can compare to the other brands. Notice that the CNH product (Case New Holland) has a full set of instruments along with a high capacity charging system as standard equipment. The curved boom front loader and sloped nose improve visibility. The cast iron rear end is of more conventional design. BX owners that will have to replace their brakes one day are in for an ugly job. The entire transaxle (aluminum) must be removed from the machine and disassembled in order to replace them. The Three Point arms on the CNH are parallel to each other and will handle a wider array (but not all) of cat. 1 implements than the BX. Kubota lovers don't take this personally, the BX is a great machine. Kubota basically invented the sub-compact tractor, but that just made it easier for others to improve on the design. Good Luck with your decision......Tractorman

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA #4  
newcountry, this may be a little off topic in that it doesn't relate specifically to your questions. As someone who bought a subCUT about a year and a half ago and now find myself kicking myself just a tad, are you sure you don't need a backhoe? I don't kick myself daily, but once every couple weeks. I didn't even consider it initially, but now kinda wish I had. Best of luck with your quest, whichever way you end up going...

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Not a bad price on the Cub, although I could tell you more if you were to break the prices down for me...)</font>

This was a package deal from the dealer, he didn't break it down for me. Glad to hear it's decent.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Cub actually has a comparison of these two units on their web site. )</font>

I've probably looked at that before, I'll go check it out again. Thanks for the info.

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA
Tractorman, thanks for the great info on the NH/Case, I'll have to check if there's a local Case dealer. My grandpa was a HUGE Case guy, he would've loved for me to have one (kind of like NH, didn't know they made anything in this class). In any event, I'll at least stop by NH dealer before deciding, you make some good selling points.

You mentioned about Cat 1- are all these listed as limited Cat 1, because I don't see that mentioned on the specs of these tractors, only the JD 2210 did that I looked at. And what do you look at to determine that?

Fun, I have not found anything I'd use a backhoe for, but you're right, I may find something. I'm new to this land with lots of trees and brush. Cost is a huge factor as I'm already extending myself as it is. But I can add one later or as aftermarket.

One last question I meant to add on a previous post - All the dealers I've spoken to have said the low profile bar tires won't tear up my grass. As I'm just starting a lawn from scratch I'm concerned about this. Shouldn't I be getting turf tires? How badly will this affect my ability to load and pull attachments?

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA #7  
Your kubota quote sounds typical of most I've seen. Low 13's but you should at least get a 50 hr service or maybe a few hundred more off on that if you try.

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA #8  
two years ago I looked at the CC5234D and gas version versus the Kubota BX2200. I thought the CC was a bigger tractor and I liked the way it "felt". I wasn't fond of all the plastic but that is merely a personal preference.

I went with the BX mostly because it was established. No one had a 5234. Searching the CC forum here turned up hardly any hits. I couldn't get any feedback on service, quality, etc. So I went with the BX.

If I was buying today I would look hard at the CC again.
And your quote seems very fair. 2 years ago for the same set up minus the boxblade I was quoted $14,000.
Phil

/ Kubota BX2230 vs. CC 5234D vs. NH TZ24DA #9  
We have a dealer in central NY who sells all three, the Kubota BX, the Cub 5000 series, and the Case DXE's (The red versions of the NH TZ). I purchased a snowblower from him last fall and I had a chance to look at the sub-compacts side by side while I was there. It's pretty obvious that Case and Cub took aim at the Kubota and tried to make theirs just a tad "better", but the differences are so small as to be, in my mind, inconsequential. The 3pt hitches on the Cub and the Case are supposed to be full cat 1, but with all the new implements coming out that are sized for sub-compacts, like KK's 'XP' line, that might not be much of an issue. I just don't see the difference in lift capacity to be an issue for a tractor that size... they'll all lift a full bucket of whatever you're going to put in there. The control layouts are all a little different, one may feel more natural to you than another, and that's a matter of personal preference. Find the dealer you like best and buy the one he sells.

As far as the industrial tires, that's what I have on my tractor and they don't seem to bother my yard at all. I do take the loader off every time I mow. It only takes a couple minutes and takes alot of weight off the steering tires. You're also less likely to hit something, like say... one of your wife's prize pear trees, if it's not on there. Not that I did that, mind you. Nope, must have been a giant mutant woodpecker or something.