Tractor Sizing Another needing advice on size

/ Another needing advice on size #1  

orangeguy2

I'm trying to convince myself into replacing my riding mower with a subcompact tractor. Looking at New Holland TZ18 or 22DA, Case DX18 or 24E, and Kubota BX1830 or 2230. I've read and seen enough to see that it is a personal choice amoung brands. I need to know if these tractors will handle the dual purposes I have. I only mow abt. 3/4 of an acre of flat lawn, along with a hundred feet or so of road frontage. I'm planning to thin a small (1/2 ac) wooded area and will eventually need to mow in there also. My old 8N died, and I also need the capability to groom my 500' gravel drive, with ocassional light grading required to repair washed out areas. I'd rather not add the expense of a fel up front, though I may add one later. I have existing cat1 equipment, scrape blade etc... but don't believe it will be compatable even with pins reversed. Anyone with a subcompact offering comments would be welcome.

/ Another needing advice on size #2  
Well, I don't own a subcompact, but I'm going to comment anyway. You may find that the next size up, a small frame CUT such as Kubotas BXXXX series or Kioti's CK20 or LB 1914 or any of the other comparables will be in the same price point as many sub-cuts, but you'll get better clearance (good for when you're clearing the wood), and more lift capacities. Also, this will provide a litte more weight for more traction.
Sub-cuts can do an awful lot, but for just about the same price, I'd prefer the larger frame models. Kubota's lighter ladder frame may be the best for your mowing experience if you have a lot of clay soil. Any would be okay in mostly a sandy/loam soil. John

/ Another needing advice on size
Perhaps a little expanding. I was speaking of a new growth wooded area. The entire area was a tobacco field 8 years ago with only small pines, cedars and sweet gums growing there. We live in a watershed and were required to let the area revert when we built our home. So the ground is level and the trees are small and could be dragged by my lawnmower. I don't intend to clearcut, only to open up the view somewhat, and I'll certainly need to mow until the trees grow and shade the area. My main concern is the drive. I don't want to be in the position to be forced to borrow or rent every time my drive needs maintenance beyond spreading gravel, which again, I'm sure my mower could do with a cat 0 hitch and lighhtweight blade. Yes I do have some clay in the soil, but it is rich red clay which is fairly easy to work. I believe a full cut would be far too much to mow the small area I have, and I don't anticipate adding any acreage. If a sub cut isn't up to the drive, I'll likely try to find another antique farm tractor for that use, and move up to a better Kubota or Deere mower.

/ Another needing advice on size #4  
In that case, a sub-cut should do fine for what you need to do. I've read posts from others who maintain large drives with them just fine. I was only concerned that you may need more clearance, but sounds like you don't really. the subs will do very much more than you need, so should be a good choice. Between the Kubota, NH and Massey, I think I'd go for Masseys because they have a full position control on the 3pt and most cat. 1 implements will fit without modification. John

/ Another needing advice on size #5  
Like KiotiJohn, I wonder if something just a tad larger than a subcut might not be the better choice for you.

One important reason is that you already have implements that would probably work on a very small CUT, but that might not work well on a subCUT.

The small CUTs mow well and give a larger 3PH and a bit more ground clearance, and I think they probably pull better too.

I have a Kubota BX2200, and like it for what it is. But I don't like the skimpy (might as well say it that way, I believe it) 3PH. A slightly larger tractor would be better all around for me, but is not necessary since I have a larger than the BX that I can use when necessary.

It costs more to go bigger, but as you spend more you seem to get a lot more pounds of steel per dollar spent.

Let us know what you decide... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Another needing advice on size #6  
For the price of the two tractors you mentioned.. the tz 18 or a 22da.. etc.. you could have your 'dead' 8n completely showroom rebuilt by a place like ncomplete.com.. end then have a tractor that looked and ran like new would last another 50 ys, and is more tractor than you were originally looking at replacing it with.. etc.

Soundguy

Henro, KiotiJohn, thank you for the advice. I am going to seriously look at the smaller cut's for the reasons stated. I didn't realize that the smallest were only a couple hundred pounds heavier than the scut's I mentioned. I agree it would be advantageous to be able to use my existing equipment, though I am considering a fel also, though I'd never really be able to justify it's cost. I'll let you know if I ever make it to the back yard to dig up my money jar, and make a purchase.

OK, I came across a used MF1020, low hrs., great metal, good mechanical for $3900. Should I jump on this and go buy a good mower? This will likely be a rhetorical question by the time it's answered.

/ Another needing advice on size #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( OK, I came across a used MF1020, low hrs., great metal, good mechanical for $3900. Should I jump on this and go buy a good mower? This will likely be a rhetorical question by the time it's answered. )</font>
don't know enough about the model, but the price sure is inexpensive if it's in good shape. Just make sure you're not buying something that's going to need a few thousand in repairs.
I hope it's a 4x4 in case you want to add a FEL, because that's not a heavy tractor and you'll have difficulty pushing a FEL on two wheel drive.
John

Good thing I have patience. Before I could purchase the MF, I talked to a friend who was borrowing a JD 850 with loader to landscape around his home. He told me the owner was planning to buy new and wanted to sale for $4300 with a tiller included. Guess what; He decided not to sell and now the MF is gone. Can you believe, two really great opportunities, and I missed both. The owner supposedly has another JD for sale, don't know the model, I'll check out tomorrow. I'll probably continue this foolishness until the 0% financing deals end, and then decide to buy new.