Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD?

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Why don\'t Manufacturers post pricing like JD?

OK, so maybe JD's online retail prices are quite high but,
AT LEAST THEY POST THEM ONLINE They let you add attachments and price them out too.

When I was comparison shopping, It annoyed me that most of the manufacturers state "Call your dealer for pricing". I have one thing to say to those who don't list pricing. WAKE UP!!! It is the age of the internet and shoppers are more saavy and want to save time and gas.

Maybe some have changed their policy (and enlighten me if they have). But Kubota pricing was usually only available in a roundabout way thru Carvers websight. And I thank him for this as I'm sure he's had issues with Kubota over his website pricing.

I just can't see enough disadvantage to posting prices as to the advantages of offering them online. Maybe they are actually worried about competing same brand dealers getting into a bidding war. So what???

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #2  
Re: Why don\'t Manufacturers post pricing like JD?

If you want to save time and gas, why not just call the dealer for a quote?

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #3  

I believe John Deere posts their list pricing which pretty much means nothing when you get to the dealer stage. No one is going to buy at list. I could care less what the manufacture says we should pay for the tractor. We don't got and buy on a car based on the manufactures suggest retail price. So no, I don't care about internet pricing.

murph

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #4  

I think the mfg that post list prices, (I believe Deere the only one) is actually a good thing.. At least you have a target to shoot by. Up here, no one knows because dealers call their own prices and this is wrong too,.. At least the Deere dealers are kept in check, the others have the attitude " what ever the market bears plus another 30%"..

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( OK, so maybe JD's online retail prices are quite high but,
AT LEAST THEY POST THEM ONLINE They let you add attachments and price them out too.

When I was comparison shopping, It annoyed me that most of the manufacturers state "Call your dealer for pricing". I have one thing to say to those who don't list pricing. WAKE UP!!! It is the age of the internet and shoppers are more saavy and want to save time and gas.

Maybe some have changed their policy (and enlighten me if they have). But Kubota pricing was usually only available in a roundabout way thru Carvers websight. And I thank him for this as I'm sure he's had issues with Kubota over his website pricing.

I just can't see enough disadvantage to posting prices as to the advantages of offering them online. Maybe they are actually worried about competing same brand dealers getting into a bidding war. So what??? )</font>

I was recently shopping for a new tractor and ended up with a New Holland. But along the way the fact that JD has the online configurator, online manuals, online parts catalogs and ordering, etc, really swayed me toward buying a JD tractor. Partly because of the readily available information, and partly because they provided hours of online entertainment, I literally sold myself a new JD. Unfortunately, the local dealers un-sold me. When it comes down to it, nothing a manufacturer does can make up for dealer shortcomings. (This goes for all brands, not just JD.) But I do wish New Holland would put more resources online.

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #6  

<font color="blue"> I could care less what the manufacture says we should pay for the tractor. We don't got and buy on a car based on the manufactures suggest retail price. </font>

Murph, a suggested retail price gives you a starting point.

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #7  

<font color="red"> But I do wish New Holland would put more resources online. </font>

Heck I wish New Holland had a decent website, it is darn near useless. Want to see LARGE pictures of any NH . . . don't check their site. Want to see GOOD pictures of each model, from different angles . . . don't check their web site. Want to see COMPLETE specs for their machines . . . don't check their web site. Same goes for sister-company Case/Farmall. Although if you are dilligent, you can paste together a decent idea of their CUTS by comparing both websites. It is a darn shame that you can get more information from a CNH brochure than you can from their combined websites! Kubota's is a bit better but I think still lacking. JD is the website that is far and away the best of any brand I have looked at. Mahindra and Kioti have pretty good sites but no pricing. Cub Cadet's site does provide list pricing (at least it did last time I looked), but not on the attachmets and no way to get a configured price like JD does.

The other complaint I have with the websites that have "comparision" pages so you can compare to competitors brands is that the comparisons are often very limited and in some cases compare their brand to a competitors DISCONTINUED model (in one case I found a site [minor brand website] that compared its tractor to another tractor that had been discontinued 3 or 4 years prior!)

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #8  

I have found that the JD site is good at giving one an idea of the high end list price. I have found great value in TBN members listing state sites that disclose their purchasing power with tax payer money to understand the lowest price possible. I think these 2 extremes give me a framework for understanding price quotes. The changing $ valuation with respect to other currencies does provide some challenge to tractor companies with a large proportion of dependence for offshore builds or parts. This is not mean't to be an excuse for them just a factor. I can also tell that some companies have variable website support and thus quality of information at their websites. I have found that JD gets high marks for configurator feature & price and tractor data. I have to give them avg. marks for data on their implements. No body is perfect but more information is good and making it intuitive to search quickly makes it even better.

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD? #9  

I agree CNH's wesbites are lacking a lot. But they do give prices for the tractors. I haven't found any for attachments on their site. It is a rather round-about way to get the prices, though. You have to use their product advisor. When the advisor lists the results, MSRP is also given for the machines. Case has their Farmall Advisor tool and NEw Holland has their Product Counselor tool. Both are exactly the same.

/ Why don't Manufacturers post pricing like JD?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you want to save time and gas, why not just call the dealer for a quote)</font>

I'm very busy during the weekdays, I don't have the luxury of time to be calling dealers waiting for them to figure in all my prefered options.

Murph,
The MSRP is a valuable starting point for anyone. What kind of deal you get is another issue.