What to expect from a dealer when buying?

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #1  

Bob_Skurka

Just out of curiosity but what should be expected from a dealer when buying a tractor in terms of training?

I ask this because I read a thread where someone asked what the little mark on the RPM gauge means. Any experienced user would know that is the 540 RPM marker, but that obviously is not something that the user knew.

So for a dealer to be considered a "good" dealer, what do you expect?

When I purchased my NH, the sales rep brought it to the house, spent about 30 minutes with me outside showing me how to check the oil, pointing out filters, teaching me how to start it, fold the ROPS, etc. After spending that 30 minutes outside with me, we went to the kitchen and sat at the table for about another 30 minutes where we went over the manual page by page, discussed service, operating safety, etc. Then we went over the warranty book. After all that we went back outside and he had me start the tractor up, operate the controls and drive it around all while under his supervision.

Now at the time he delivered the tractor, I was actually outside working on another tractor in the driveway and a third was clearly visible in the garage bay next to the brand new one. So he obviously knew I knew at least something about tractors, while I obviously did not have complete knowledge of the new one.

So based on your experiences, what SHOULD a dealer do? Or perhaps what do you WISH your dealer would have told you, but didn't???

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( what SHOULD a dealer do? )</font>

Bob, first off, I think the dealer (salesman) should know his product. At the very least, he should have read the Operator's Manual himself. I think he should also strongly recommend that the buyer read that manual. But then I think he has to "play it by ear" because I'm sure some people who buy a new tractor don't want to spend a lot of time with a dealer/salesman telling them what they already knew. On the other hand, I think he should take as much time as the customer wants to go over everything. I bought both of my Kubotas from the same salesman and he delivered them in person. He did not appear to be in any hurry, so we drank coffee, visited, and he answered any questions I had.

The only thing I can think of that he might have done better was to warn me about how easy it is to turn the tractor over with a FEL. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif When I bought the B7100, I'd never used a tractor that small, and the first time I used it with a bucketful of gravel, I gave myself a good scare (didn't turn it over, but came closer than I ever want to again). /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #3  
Bob,

When I purchased both my TC21D and my TC29D my dealer had a check list he had to go over with me on. I believe this check list is in the back of the operators manual. It took him about 30 minutes both times. When done I had to sign the form. This form is then sent in to New Holland for record. This is a requirment by New Holland I am told.

In fact because I already knew most of it being around tractors most of my life the delievery/going over the check list was boring. I just wanted to get on the seat and do something.

murph

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So based on your experiences, what SHOULD a dealer do? Or perhaps what do you WISH your dealer would have told you, but didn't??? )</font>

My dealer went over the basics on my two tractors, including the line on the rpm guage on my B7500 and the instrument panel on my L3130. Usually I ask enough questions when "looking" that I have pretty much everything answered by the time it gets delivered anyway.

Now... what do I wish he would have told me when I got my first tractor? I wish he had said that there was a screen in front of the radiator that needed cleaned when brush hogging high weeds /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif While I was keeping the grill clean, I had no knowledge of this screen until I opened the hood to see what all the steam was about /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
As you an tell, I normally don't read the owner's manual unless I'm looking up something. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #5  
I received my tractor delivered by the truck driver. The salesman didn't go over anything with me, but I would have been either bored or a bit insulted if he had.
I did read the manual, skipping over the boiler-plate safety 'crap' that dulls ones senses and may cause one to miss the few important things under safety, such as tipping over.
But, when I helped out on some neighboring farms, and was asked to use the big new tractors, with 6 plows, etc and huge discs, or huge grain drills, I always asked for the manual to read about the tractor and equipment. Learned things the farmer didn't know.
For the most part, I didn't buy the tractor I have now without knowing a lot about it, and poked and pulled, removed and replaced about everything I could to see where everything was at.
But as Bird said, the salesman needs to be clever enough to feel out the needs of the customer. But then, some customers would take being told as a direct insult, and get PO'd, I'm sure. Tough to satisfy all. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PS I consider my dealer and salesman as 'very good'.

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #6  
My dealer went over all the basic stuff. He told me how to detach the loader and 3pt implements, but we didn't actually do it. He knew I'd never owned a tractor, so no guessing was involved. I guess the only thing I'd like to have done was take the loader off and put it back on with his help. I guess I could have asked and I'm sure he would have obliged.

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #7  
<font color="blue">Just out of curiosity but what should be expected from a dealer when buying a tractor in terms of training? </font>

When I bought my first "real" tractor in 2002 I guess I did not give me dealer a chance to tell me what he would do to educate me, as I asked him up front if he would do what I wanted/needed. He was willing to. So it is not really clear to me how much he contributed in addition to what I felt I needed.

Before delivery, I stopped at the dealers and following the salesman's directions with my own hands, while he was watching, I took off and re-installed the loader, backhoe, and rear finish mower. I played with the backhoe, after putting it back on by myself, and got used to the functions, although it was on concrete and I did not dig with it.

All questions I could think of were answered, and while I don't remember exactly, I am sure some/much advice was offered at the same time.

I was not rushed. The salesman/manager was willing to take all the time I wanted to answer all my questions. I'm sure he spent about an hour with me, and I was there longer than that doing what I thought I needed to do, to make sure when I was "home alone" with the tractor I would be able to take off and put back all attachments without problem.

One thing I don't think was covered much was safety/dangers related to tractor operation. It would probably be good practice for dealers to take time to stress tractor safety and safe operation. Things like how wise it is to shut off the engine when hooking up to the PTO. And how this minimizes the risk of something bad happening, although some do hook up with the engine running...safe operation on slopes...and so on.

All in all, I think my dealer did what I would expect a dealer to do.

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #8  
While he may have mentioned this, (we went over ALOT), Pointing out looking hard to spot grease certs would be handy.

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Things like how wise it is to shut off the engine when hooking up to the PTO. And how this minimizes the risk of something bad happening, although some do hook up with the engine running...)</font>

Well I'm one of those /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif If you are the only person around and the tractor is on neutral with brakes on and the PTO disengaged, engine is running, how can the the TPO sudenly engage itself and cause you arm? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hypernix

/ What to expect from a dealer when buying? #10  
<font color="blue"> If you are the only person around and the tractor is on neutral with brakes on and the PTO disengaged, engine is running, how can the the TPO sudenly engage itself and cause you arm? </font>

Hypernix,

Chances are it won't. But the fact is that mechanical things do fail in ways that are not always predictable.

The only way to be sure that the PTO shaft will not for some unknown/unexpected reason start spinning on its own, is to turn the engine off. No power source, no movement of the shaft...

If the engine is not running, it is very unlikely that the shaft will turn no matter what happens. Even this is probably not certain. Some tractors with gear drive might. if left in gear with the PTO engaged. actually cause the PTO shaft to turn, if the tractor were parked on a slope and it started to drift down the slope, due to the operator forgetting to set the brakes...so he could be run over AND wrapped up at the same time! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Generally speaking though, if the engine is not running no matter what happens the PTO shaft will not likely start turning...just like when no shells are in the gun, no matter what happens it is unlikelly that a bullet will come out of the barrel and harm someone.

It's just playing the odds in one's favor...nothing more than that. We all take our chances in different ways on different days...