Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #11  
I have 8.5 acres and just finished moving about 25 ton (ton = yard) of gravel with my 410 loader. Just started doing all my trails, about an hours' worth+ walking them. Only took me about 2 hours with the JD. Used to do them with my walk-behind Gravely. Same trails took about 4 to 5 hours with it.

I test drove a 2210, 4010, B7510 and BX1830. I liked the 4010 the best. A friend gave me an old soil ripper off his old JD M and helped me adapt it to 3 pt hitch. I've since used this tool for soil ripping the garden and then bought 2 huge 16" disc hillers and made raised rows for my garden with them mounted on the soil ripper 2x2 bar. Don't think the 2210 would have worked for this tool, and it would have taken a bunch longer moving the gravel, as it only lifts 650# vs. 850# with the 410 loader. Same story for the 3 pt hitch. The 2210 is way over-powered for what it can do with its ground clearance and weight. Implements for 2210 & 4010 are the same, because they're the same weight. You get nothing for the extra hp other than paying $300 more for it, which is cheaper than the 4110 hp increment.

Price was same on 4010 as for a B7510. A 4110 would have been $2,000 more. It's a nice machine. I just don't need that much more (2 hp & 20% higher flow on the hydros, separate power steering pump).

Ralph

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Two words should help you decide... 'Trade Deficit'.

If you care go green if not...

For me the color was easy. I'm still working on the model but am leaning toward the JD 3520 w/ 300cx, Deere 665 tiller, Deere MX-5 rotary, Frontier GM1072R mower, Frontier BB1060 Box, and Frontier SS1079P speader to maintain about 10 acres.

)</font>

You might find this speech from the Chairman and CEO of Deere and Co. to be interesting reading, and educational!

Globalization

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #13  
Funny but as I read it he was speaking at what college? where? he mentioned engineers and employees.

What college does Kubota support? where is it? where do they hire engineers?

If I buy from an American company it is much more likely that the overhead expenses will be distributed in the United States. That more of the companies employees will be hired in the US. That more of a percentage of the dollars I spend will remain in the US economy. One more job for an American and their family is enough for me.

But by all means find any way you can to weaken the economy you depend on. It is only one tractor, it doesn't really matter does it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Funny but as I read it he was speaking at what college? where? he mentioned engineers and employees.

What college does Kubota support? where is it? where do they hire engineers?

If I buy from an American company it is much more likely that the overhead expenses will be distributed in the United States. That more of the companies employees will be hired in the US. That more of a percentage of the dollars I spend will remain in the US economy. One more job for an American and their family is enough for me.

But by all means find any way you can to weaken the economy you depend on. It is only one tractor, it doesn't really matter does it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

)</font>

"Globalization affects virtually everything we do at John Deere — from supplier sourcing, to manufacturing processes, to recruiting highly-skilled men and women from all over the world. In addition to these direct impacts, the indirect effects to our farmer customers are enormous.

Today, we ship combines made in East Moline, Illinois to the former Soviet Union, Chinese combines to the Middle East, Brazilian combines to Europe, and German and Indian tractors to the U.S. In fact, to be competitive, we produce a tractor in Augusta, Georgia that is assembled largely with parts received from 12 other countries! And in Waterloo, Iowa, one of every four tractors produced at that plant is exported from the United States to any one of more than 110 countries on six continents."

Robert W. Lane, Chairman and CEO, Deere & Co.

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #15  
One job for an American is enough reason to me, my guess is that means little to you. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #16  
Does Kubota count as American?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Kubota Manufacturing of America
Headquarters: Gainesville, Georgia, U.S.A.

Kubota Manufacturing of America (KMA) was formed in 1988 as Kubota’s North American manufacturing base. KMA manufactures and assembles Kubota lawn tractors, zero-turn mowers, sub-compact tractors, loaders, backhoes and other implements. The company employs 1200 workers. Two master buildings offer 616,000 square feet of manufacturing space. Today, one-third of all Kubota branded equipment sold in the United States is manufactured or assembled at its 151-acre Gainesville, Georgia facility.
)</font>

(emphasis added.)

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have 8.5 acres and just finished moving about 25 ton (ton = yard) of gravel with my 410 loader. Just started doing all my trails, about an hours' worth+ walking them. Only took me about 2 hours with the JD. Used to do them with my walk-behind Gravely. Same trails took about 4 to 5 hours with it.

I test drove a 2210, 4010, B7510 and BX1830. I liked the 4010 the best. A friend gave me an old soil ripper off his old JD M and helped me adapt it to 3 pt hitch. I've since used this tool for soil ripping the garden and then bought 2 huge 16" disc hillers and made raised rows for my garden with them mounted on the soil ripper 2x2 bar. Don't think the 2210 would have worked for this tool, and it would have taken a bunch longer moving the gravel, as it only lifts 650# vs. 850# with the 410 loader. Same story for the 3 pt hitch. The 2210 is way over-powered for what it can do with its ground clearance and weight. Implements for 2210 & 4010 are the same, because they're the same weight. You get nothing for the extra hp other than paying $300 more for it, which is cheaper than the 4110 hp increment.

Price was same on 4010 as for a B7510. A 4110 would have been $2,000 more. It's a nice machine. I just don't need that much more (2 hp & 20% higher flow on the hydros, separate power steering pump).

Ralph )</font>

Hi Ralph,

I'm pretty sure what your saying regarding the capacity the 410 loader on you machine is not entirely accurate. The flow rating, PSI of the hydrolic's make the difference not HP and the 410 is rated at its max capacities on the 4110-4115 models. The 4010 is almost the same as the 2210, and when the 410 is used, gives almost the same lift limits (620 to 650 lb range).
My neighbor has a 4010 and a 410, its not nearly as strong as my 4100 (same spec as a 4110). I have lifted items he could not and with less effort.

Ducati

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does Kubota count as American?
</font><font color="blueclass=small">(
Kubota Manufacturing of America
Headquarters: Gainesville, Georgia, U.S.A.

Kubota Manufacturing of America (KMA) was formed in 1988 as Kubota’s North American manufacturing base. KMA manufactures and assembles Kubota lawn tractors, zero-turn mowers, sub-compact tractors, loaders, backhoes and other implements. The company employs 1200 workers. Two master buildings offer 616,000 square feet of manufacturing space. Today, one-third of all Kubota branded equipment sold in the United States is manufactured or assembled at its 151-acre Gainesville, Georgia facility.
)</font>

(emphasis added.) )</font>

Which company hires more Americans? Who's GDP do the earnings affect?

Though the lines are getting grayer if you buy from a foreign company you will add more to the Trade Deficit and thus weaken our economy.

If you just think about the CEO, CFO... and their multi million dollar salaries, who's economy will that be added to? How about the board of directors and their millions? How about all the support staff for the companies officers? The overhead and profit collums are where the difference lies send it away or keep it at home that is the choice you are making.

As for the globalization of manufacturing the big companies are close equal (still think Deere has the edge) as far as parts and assembly it's past that where the difference lies. A difference that is significant enough for me, too bad it's not for you. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #19  
firtol88,

And anyone else really....

This is a tractor site. We love to talk tractors.

Not sure it matters to most here who makes them if they are here in this country. I could be wrong.

But I think I am right in saying that worrying about where they are made, or how many jobs may be lost for whatever reason, belongs somewhere else.

Here we are intersted in how well a tractor performs, works, whatever.

THe other stuff can be debated forever.

Let's let that debate go on somewhere else. It does not help anyone here really...this is a tractor site...whoops...guess I already said that... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #20  
It’s always good to see another member from Oregon. I can recommend Mid Valley tractor in Eugene Oregon. They were really good to me with their pricing. They are a high volume dealer of Kubota and Polaris. They specialize in the smaller hobby farm equipment but gave me a great price on my M9000.

I believe the size you are looking at is a good fit. 4wd comes in really handy in the mud of western Oregon. I’m not sure if you’re on the east or west side of the state but I kind of assumed the wet west.

I personally would strongly consider the hydrostatic transmission for your uses. You will find it easier to navigate in small areas close to houses. Other than this recommendation go to the dealer, kick some tires, take some drives, compare features and comfort, then see what kinds of pricing they come up with. Let them know you’re a seriously looking and will be shopping around. My experience with the local JD dealer was the like the other poster. They didn’t consider me a serious buyer. This was their mistake. I’m over it now because I have friends that have been treated very well by this same dealer but I still remember feeling like a little kid that had got the brush off by the adult.

Good Luck
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.