Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #1  

oregon2

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI am looking at new tractors- have only a JD dealer and a Kubota dealer in my town, so my choice has to be one or the other as local servicing is important to me. Both have excellent reputations- so no advantage either way there. Use will be: small acreage to mow (with pull behind rotary cutter- about twice a year- mostly flat, but some slopes around pond embankment), and moving topsoil, bark mulch, and gravel for landcaping. I have been considering the following: JD 2210 or 4010 or 4110 or the Kubota B7510 or B7800. Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Here are some more specifics: Thanks for helping out a "newcomer". More particulars- I own 10 acres of which 1 acre is taken up by house, shop, and bass pond. The other nine are hayed once a year by another party. Before they come to hay I need to perimeter mow around pond and house and shop for fire consideration- say two times before haying takes place- about 3 hours of mowing each time. The other task is rock, topsoil, and bark mulch moving- not more than 40 yards a year and seldom have to move it more than 50 yards from dump spot. I don't want to buy more tractor than I need, nor do I want to buy too small and wish I had something bigger. Hope that helps.

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #2  
WELCOME TO THE FORUM /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif BUT HARD TO ANS YOUR QUESTION. you might want to fill in your profile a bit to give us a better idea of you acreage and area.

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #3  
One is not better than the other. I guess I would go with the one that you feel is the best dealer. And also which one do you feel the most comfortable with.

murph

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #4  
We've owned several Kubota tractors. We started out with a 1953 Harry Ferguson, moved to a Kubota L2850 and then to a larger L3250. We just sold our L3250 and are waiting for our new M6800 to be delivered sometime next week. As you can probably tell from the long line of Kubota tractors we've owned and will own, our farm is very pleased with them.

That being said, I've driven several older large John Deere tractors (up to 110 hp) and just recently a 4210 and a 4110. The 4110 was equipped with the eHydro transmission while the 4210 was not. The John Deere's really impressed me. Luckily for me, local dealer support has always been in favor of the Kubota, which is why I buy orange.

In the end, a tractor is a very personal piece of equipment. You really need to go out there, find out which tractor fits you and which dealer is going to be the one to earn your business. In my area, you can generally buy a Kubota spec’ed out to match a John Deere for thousands less. Plus, in my area (notice the caveat), the Kubota dealer is much more willing to work with someone buying a smaller tractor.

The John Deere dealer doesn’t even want to talk to you unless you are plunking down $85,000+.

Now, go find that 4110 with the eHydro and give it a test-drive. Then try out the Kubota B7510. After driving both, I think you’ll know which color suits you best. And who better to decide then yourself? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #5  
oregon 2 -

I think we all need to know just a wee bit more in regards to what "small acreage" means?

How much (yards / toms?) of gravel / mulch do you need to move? How many times per month (year)?

Just trying to get a better idea of what your needs might be...

If - for example - you regularly mow less than 1 acre, and move 10 yds of mulch / season - a subCUT like the JD 2210 or BX 2230 might be fine...

But as you go up with mowing area / amount of mulch or gravel goes up - then the other models would start to get more attractive.

I think we just need some more info to help you make a better decision.

Cheers,

Dan

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #6  
It seems you may be asking two questions:

One is "what tractor is best for me, size wise?"

The other is "What tractor of the two is best?"

As Murf said, neither is best, both are great.

As another poster said "Give us more specific info on your exact needs..." (sorry, only one window open at them moment, don't remember who said that... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

Either color is good. Tractors get smaller as you get used to them...try them both out as see which you like the best. Go with your gut, and you will not be disappointed I'd bet.

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As another poster said "Give us more specific info on your exact needs..." (sorry, only one window open at them moment, don't remember who said that... )
)</font>

hey Bill i think it was both me and DanR67 that mentioned that, you must be suffering from diesel fumes or 1 too many of HOSSE"S BURGERS /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Tractors get smaller as you get used to them...try them both out as see which you like the best. Go with your gut, and you will not be disappointed I'd bet. )</font>

Excellent observation and the best advice.

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #9  
oregon2,

Since I steered you to this forum, the guys here are looking for things like: acreage, and what you intend to do with it; slopes; ponds; and special needs like driveway/roads, drainage ditches, logging, farming, snow removal etc. If you give a bit more information, they will have lots of comments and suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Recommendations for 1st time buyer- JD and Kubota #10  
Two words should help you decide... 'Trade Deficit'.

If you care go green if not...

For me the color was easy. I'm still working on the model but am leaning toward the JD 3520 w/ 300cx, Deere 665 tiller, Deere MX-5 rotary, Frontier GM1072R mower, Frontier BB1060 Box, and Frontier SS1079P speader to maintain about 10 acres.

Status
Not open for further replies.