NH TN75A torque vs. Kubota M9000 torque.

/ NH TN75A torque vs. Kubota M9000 torque. #1  

Osconda

Silver Member
Texas, Williamson County (aka Texas Hill Country)
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA, delivered 05/25/2005
Although the engines in these two tractors are quite a bit different in size, the smaller TN75A engine is very close to the torque of the much larger M9000. HP on the Kubota is quite a bit higher though. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine, at least for a second, to consider the TN75A in his tractor shopping as he might save some money.

I see the Kubota has 4 cyl. instead of 3 like the NH. So does the horsepower really matter that much is the torque is almost the same? Wouldn't it be the torque at the PTO that counts instead of the HP? What is the advantage of HP here in this case? Here's the numbers:

New Holland TN75A
Torque Rise: 38.6
Cu. In.: 179
Max Torque: 202.2 lb.ft @ 1392rpm
RPM rating: 2300
PTO HP: 62

Kubota M9000
Torque Rise: 31.9
Cu. In.: 202
Max Torque: 209.8 lb. ft. @ 1500 rpm
RPM rating: 2600
PTO HP: 80

/ NH TN75A torque vs. Kubota M9000 torque. #2  
It *is* torque at the PTO that counts, unfortunately for your efforts the Kubota has a lot more torque than that model NH.

Torque = (hp*5252)/rpm.

So, since the PTO rpm is the same (540) - the PTO torque (not the engine crankshaft torque) difference is just as big as the hp difference you list. NH = 603 lb-ft, Kubota = 778 lb-ft. (29% greater than the NH)

The NH has a better % rise, but it's still working with less torque than the Kubota. The Kubota doesn't post as big a difference at the crankshaft - but since it's turning faster it gets/needs more gear reduction (aka torque multiplication) by the gearing in between.

/ NH TN75A torque vs. Kubota M9000 torque. #3  
I'm sorry too but the M9000 and the TN75 are simply much different sized tractors. The TN is quite compact in person, short in length and height and fairly narrow. The M9000 is a big unit.

The difference is much more apparent in the cab models as the M9000 towers over the TN75.

I believe the weight is similar so some tasks would be nice on a TN whereas for ride and stabilty the Kubota would be a bit nicer.

I don't have numbers handy, this is just going by my experience sitting in them. A neighbour has a nearly new M9000 cab model.

/ NH TN75A torque vs. Kubota M9000 torque.
Thanks for the responses. I just couldn't understand how the numbers added up. I know the TN75A is in a different category than the Kub. but I'm not sure my friend needs that much tractor.

I think the next closest tractor in New Holland's line to the M9000 would be the TL90. But the TL90 weighs almost a ton more than the Kub. What would be a more equitable comparison from New Holland and John Deere? I think Deere may be too pricey, though.

/ NH TN75A torque vs. Kubota M9000 torque. #5  
Careful on the weights in ag tractors, are you comparing a cast rim NH to a steel rim Kubota? Both companies offer a lot of tire / rim combos. The cast rims on the bigger Kubota's add like 900 lb a side. These are the wheel centres of the rims, not bolt on weight.

I know NH is specific with their weights in the detailed specs but Kubota has always been vague. They recently got their act together on CUT's and now list curb weight. They used to list shipping weight as the rims and tires are added in North America.