Urgent: Help with Title for Compact tractor

/ Urgent: Help with Title for Compact tractor #1  

project_X

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L235DT and L225
Hi There,
I have found a tractor that I am going to purchase, it is SCUT made in the 80s. In order to bring the tractor in to Canada (and out of the US). US customs is requesting the original title. Does anyone have one of these for their tractor? The customs officer said to go to the DMV and get a title from them, do they do that in the US? Any ideas or suggestions? Would you have title for a garden tractor?

Please help, thanks,

Rob

thanks,
Rob

/ Urgent: Help with Title for Compact tractor #3  
No titles, but maybe the cert. of origin. I have no idea where you'd get that from. I would think that an original sales ticket, or bill of sale would do.
John

/ Urgent: Help with Title for Compact tractor
bczoom, what did you serach under, I used title and I never got the Ownership title?

/ Urgent: Help with Title for Compact tractor #5  
I think "tractor title" and "certificate or origin". I used the advanced search page and went back a year.

How would one prove the owned a tractor? I can get a bill of sale from the seller, but he doesn't have on that proves he owns it. I've spoken with this guy at length, and I'm sure he legitimately purchased the tractor, but simply does not have the records.

Thanks,
Rob

/ Urgent: Help with Title for Compact tractor #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I can get a bill of sale from the seller, but he doesn't have on that proves he owns it. )</font>

I'm pretty sure you're legally covered if you get a bill of sale from him.
I've never heard of a title or such for a garden tractor. Like John said, a bill of sale "should" be all you need to get it across the border.

/ Urgent: Help with Title for Compact tractor #8  
Unless you are going to bring the tractor back to the US. US Customs does not care what you bring into Canada. Did you mean Canadian Customs?

As a matter of fact, US customs does care. The Canadian customs has no problem. The US side wants to have proof that it is not a stolen tractor or a tractor with a lien against it leaving the country. You need to send the original (no faxes) of the appropriate docs to the US customs 72 hours prior to crossing.

Anyways, after my 2nd conversation with the NY DMV and 4 conversations with the customs agent at the border, I finally convinced them that all that was available was a Bill of Sale for the 1983 tractor. I should be bringing my "new to me" 1983 Yanmar home on Sunday.

Thanks,
Rob