Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #1  

dknarnd

Gold Member
Tractor
JD1010, JD B, TC40A (new)
Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro\'s and con\'s

Have started my research on tractors and really would like to hear the good and bad of these two different transmissions. Other than the old man ease of use factor why select hydrostatic? To me it seems like a more high maintenance option over the life of a tractor. Will it still work like new 30 years from now without some sort of rebuild?

I like gears /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #2  
Re: Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro\'s and con\'s

Hydrostatic vs. Manual is probably one of the most heated discussions that gets started here at the TBN site from time to time. And it's purely a personal decision at best.

Try the search feature for hydrostatic within the past year and you'll bring up all kinds of arguments from the past.

I'm not going there myself........

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #3  

It will still be working doing the same thing 30 years from now, but most likely the owner won't.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #4  

I have 8 hours on my NH TC40DA, so I can only give my first impressions of hydrostatic vs. gears. My old tractor was a Ford 4000, with a five speed. I am still learning to drive the hydro. But after 8 hours I am hooked. I spent 3 hours this weekend mowing part of our pasture. With the same old mower, I seem to be cutting (no pun intended) my mow time by a considerable amount (1/3 to 1/2 based on my experience this past weekend). I just set the motor RPMs to get 540rpm to the mower and adjusted my ground speed to exactly what the field would allow. The field looks great. Nice even cut everywhere. That comes from going fast where I could and slowing when I needed to. This all happened without searching for just the right gear/rpm combination.

Granted, a 5 gear transmission doesn't compare to the 8-12 modern CUT. And I have already learned that driving a hydrostat is different than using gears. But you couldn't get me to go back!

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #5  

As Mike said ,it has been a hot topic many times. AS for MY personal prefference, i like hydro 1) FOR old man ease of use /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif 2) for being able to creep with high Rpm

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #6  

If someone has statistics on the percentage of failures of HST units vs gear drive's that would good stuff and put much of the discussion to bed..................I'd dare say

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #7  

I had reservations about buying a tractor with a HST. I wondered whether it will last as long as the rest of the tractor. I've talked to friends who work with heavy equipment and tractor operators that do contract tractor work (ie many many hours) and the comments are always positive.

I took the leap and purchase a 40HP HST tractor. After using the tractor for snow removal, grading and skidding logs I can say I am very happy with the HST. The conversation with the contract tractor operator on the durability of his HST tractors helped me make my decision. I have an old ford with gears and a new one with HST. HST is my personal preference. Hope that helps.

Just my two cents.

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If someone has statistics on the percentage of failures of HST units vs gear drive's that would good stuff and put much of the discussion to bed..................I'd dare say )</font>

Good thought ...but the old saying "Figures don't lie, but liar's figure" comes to mind.

My brother has a 30 yr old Bolens hydro tractor. He's went thru 2 motors. Now the mowing deck is rusted thru ...but he still uses it for blade work and such. Hydro is fine. He's never had a problem with it.
I've been on these forums a few years now, and my memory sure is not perfect ...but I do not remember any transmission problems mentioned by any CUT owners. Be it Hydro or gear.

I think the best way to decide is to try em both out. Lots of gear uses have switched to hydro, but lots also like the extra HP and enjoy their gear tractors. One size (type) does not fit all. But, I like hydro. Just my personal preference.

Moon of Ohio

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #9  

I moved from gear to hydro. I like it a lot, my favourite is it staying put when your foot is off the pedal. Very little of our property is flat enough for the tractor not to roll when the clutch is pushed in, the hydro makes setting the parking brake and turning it off in gear to hold it a thing of the past. Great when logging where you are on and off the machine.

/ Hydrostatic vs. Manual pro's and con's #10  

Hydro. The Deere dealer told me they will outlast gear transmissions, but that you'd likely never wear either out. I bought a NH TC40DA instead however because of price, features, dealer...etc. I LOVE it. My die hard gear head Deere friend vowed he'd never geta hydro, but after driving mine only uttered a four letter expletive, wishing his recent purchase had been hydro. Drive them. If you do bucket work a lot and mow a lot, hydro is my choice. Hands down.