Best Tractor for wooded mountain land

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #1  

Vas

Tractor
none yet
I'm looking for tractor recommendations for use on 29 acres at 9,000 ft in Northern New Mexico. The extent of my knowledge is from reading TBN for a couple months and reading part of Muhammed's book. I mention the altitude as I've read another thread discussing 3% loss of hp per 1000ft, and 1% loss w/ turbo.

At the risk of providing too much information here are the particulars. The property is steep and fairly rocky, 20 acres are overgrown mixed conifer forest with some aspens thrown in, 9 acres are meadows. The access roads are steep and rocky (see picture). I'm looking for a tractor for small road making and road maintaining tasks like smoothing, cutting, grading, and plowing. I've been doing a lot of thinning and would like a tractor to help skidding, moving, and lifting logs. During mud season or heavy snows I would see using it (while pulling a trailer) for transport into the property. The roads are steep and rough enough I would also like to use the tractor for moving myself and equipment around the property. Lastly, I'm thinking eventually I would do dirt work associated with building a home (I'm not sure if the amount of dirt work will justify a BH). A lot of folks here need to do mowing or brush cutting, I don't need to mow or brush cut.

This is a 2nd property that I will mainly be working on during the weekends and eventually building a home, my current home is 3hrs drive away. I currently have a 40' storage unit for storing equipment. Anything I buy would ideally fit in the 8'x8' door. There are so many big trees I'm initially thinking of building a home-built log cabin. Currently I access the upper meadows in my small nissan pick-up. Every time I do it to haul up equipment for camping and thinning the forest I realize it is too rough and steep (see attachment) to continually drive up and I need to do something better. My current thinking is building a garage at the bottom and ideally using the same tractor to access the upper meadows pulling up an equipment trailer. At this point the property is a hobby, so I'm enjoying doing a lot of the work myself. That being said as I look to buy a tractor if I'm thinking I will do things where I should really be hiring a professional people's advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Attachments

• 657236-access road.jpg
    657236-access road.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,025
   / Best Tractor for wooded mountain land
Picture of middle meadows. Woods a really overgrown and need to be thinned.

Attachments

• 657238-middle meadow cropped.JPG
    657238-middle meadow cropped.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 789
   / Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #3  
I would consider the Power track that is rated for STEEP slopes.

There was a thread about a year ago that I think should be recommended reading for you. I think that person wanted to do work on even more severe slopes and finally decided on a power track, with dual wheels that was rated for slopes up to 45 degrees if I remember right.

I did not bookmark the thread. Maybe someone else remembers it and can point to it.

A search of the archives might turn it up as well...if I stumble on it I will post the link.

Anyway...if nothing else this is a start...

Even a slight slope (15 to 20 degrees) feels real scary on a normal tractor (at least for tractor wimps like me... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). If slopes are to be worked...probably will pay to get a tractor designed to operate on them.

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #4  
Henro, I remember the thread, the guy was trying to restore woodland with natural habitat? He needed to take out trees and put in different varieties? I think you are correct on his choice too, one of the big Power Tracs with dual wheels and the weight transfer system. Seems to me it was less than a year ago.

The only thing I would be concerned about with the PT is the engine at the altitude. The first thing I thought when I started reading the thread was TURBO-diesel due to the power loss at altitude. I'd be looking for something in the 40-ish HP range with a turbo.

I'm pretty sure that Deere claims their turbo engines don't drop the 1% per 1000 feet, and I've read where regular diesels lose more than 3% but I don't the facts about either.

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #6  
Power Trac would be the deal. www.power-trac.com But pulling a trailer with one requires some welding. Check out the Power-trac section of this site. You can find everything there.

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #7  
Very nice place Michael. I don't think of the picture you show as having a particularly steep road (although pictures can be deceiving) and since it's benn dozed and all you need to do is more or less maintain it, I would opt for a traditional tractor over the Power Trac unless your going to start going up the non dozed hills in which case, you may find yourself in trouble on most anything once you start moving or pushing heavy objects and considering the lack of experience I think you seem to be indicating. I would definitely look at a turbo charged diesel. If you find you need a road made, I would consider hiring a guy with a small dozer to come in and cut it. Save the wear and tear on a compact. With the rocks you have, its rough on either end of a compact. As far as logging it goes, I know nothing about that and perhaps why folks are recommending the Power Trac. Out here, when it gets steep, they helicopter all the logs out.

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land
Henor/Bob - Thank you for the information. I was not familiar with power trac I will check them out. I did an initial look at their website, it is really nice that they include standard pricing and options. The only reference to angle seemed to be "wheel articulation" which steers both the front and rear wheels and "oscillation" which would definately help on uneven ground. I will check out the TBN power trac forum.

I had been thinking turbo diesel and have done some web-looking of JD CUTs with turbo, as of yet I have not found manufacturers claims on power drop with altitude for turbo and non-turbo. I'll talk with some local dealers to see what they say. The idea of >3% drop in power per 1000 ft for non-turbo starts getting a little worrysome. It seems if for example I were to decide I need the equivalent of 40 hp I would buy something with 60 hp. But then I would have the equivalent of 40hp in the weight of a 60 hp tractor. Anyone know if there are after-market turbos or is it an option many manufacturers offer in a new tractor?

Rat- good advice. The grade on the existing road is probably 15 degrees on average 10-20 ft sections up to 25 degrees . Your advice to hire a dozer where needed makes sense. I was thinking a traditional tractor as you suggest...Is it safe to assume a 25-40 hp CUT will be able to pull say a 1000 lbs trailer up an access road that a small 2wd pick-up will make it up (barely).

Thank you again for the advice.

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #9  
I agree with what Rat said. Get all roads made with a dozer.
My friend had some similar (beautiful) land near Ruidoso. I have many fond memories of the area.
Look at JD 3720 for the smallest frame size I'd recommend. Otherwise, look into the 4520 and 4720 for the bigger frame. Definitely turbo charged diesel.
Tractors are not so stable due to the weight being carried up high. If your tasks involve grades over 20 percent, you'll feel more comfortable on a power trac made for slopes.

/ Best Tractor for wooded mountain land #10  
Vas,

Whichever machine you choose your going to have a blast playing with it on that incredibly beautiful land.
Good luck in your choice and good for you.
-Terry