Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore?

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #1  

Cityboyfarmer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200D; JD 5205 MFWD w/522 Loader
It seems like there is no longer a true American tractor. Most come here on a ship these days it looks like. Even the John Deere utility tractors are assembled in India. I guess we really are a global economy now.

So far as I can tell, the over-all quality of new tractors seems to be very good. Most folks here at TBN seem happy with their machines regardless of country of origin.

I have learned a lot from reading all this excellent knowledge, experience and info here at TBN. I'm going wait a few more weeks before I purchase and look at a few more manufacturers now before I decide.

So the question I have for everyone interested in responding is:

What ultimately moved you in your decision to purchase the brand you chose? Features, price, dealer, quality, other?

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #2  
I bought my JD 5420 about 2 years ago and one of the deciding factors was the sticker that says Assembled In America. I know it has lots of foriegn made parts but at least it was put together in the USA. I was also considering a NH and went to each dealer and sat on each tractor I was considering. The JD just fit me better.

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #3  
I bought a New Holland because it fit me better and the dealer was head and shoulders above any of the other dealers in a hundred mile radius. It's been almost two years and I still couldn't be happier with my decision to purchase the New Holland from Hendrix Tractor.

Now about your original question. I believe that there are tractors still made here but nothing in the HP range even close to what we deal with on this site.

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #4  
The only tractors I can think of that are made in the US are specialty tractors like Power Trac, Steiner and Ventrac. The smaller sizes (the ones we play with) of Big 3 tractors are, for the most part, assembled in the US from parts that come from Japan. JD and Case New Holland do make some farm equipement here, they also make equipement in other parts of the globe too.

Probably the closest thing to an American tractor you can get would be any of the JD tractors as that company is American owned.

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #5  
The majority of the Case New Hollands are made in Racine Wisconsin. Yes some of the parts and imported in but the machines are all put together in Racine. When I was at my dealers a few weeks ago buying my tiller I asked my dealer how much of the Boomers are made in the USA. He told me the only thing that is imported on the Boomers is the motor which is made by Shibura. He told me everything else comes from within the USA. Well this comes from a salesman. But even a poster above said John Deere. John Deeres larger tractors are made in the US but the compact are not from my understanding.

Now all of the above is hearsay. I have no proof but only what I was told. I did not read any of the information anyplace but again hearsay.

murph

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #6  
The John Deere Tractors seem to be the most built in the US. Many of the others are assembled here, but John Deere has many models which now even have an engine built here in the US. Last fall (2004) John Deere started phasing out the Yanmar engine on the 4310 and up. They switched to an engine made in Cedar Falls Iowa and shipped to Georgia to assemble. So as Bob said, John Deere likely is the closest to an American made tractor.

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #7  
city boy farmer
Totsy over to August, GA and tour the Deere plants making the 4000's and the 5000's before making too many statements about "Deere". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Must be pretty close to you.

When through with that tour, drop by the Deere plant in Waterloo, IA and watch the assembly lines turning out big tractors there, and then over to the engine plant between Waterloo and Cedar Falls along highway 20.

Then up to Horicon, WI to go through the huge production of the lawn and garden tractor lines (I think there almost 100 makes and models of various descriptions coming out of Horicon). It is very impressive, and includes the 4X gators.

When tractors are sold world-wide, parts and fabrication becomes part of the company structure, business, and the 'politics' of selling goods in those countries.
Let us know what you find on your visit to Augusta. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last time I was in Augusta, they were working 3 shifts to produce the 4000's and turning out 45,000 tractors a year, in a plant that was originally set up and planned to make an expected 13,000 a year. In a couple years time, the 4x10 series took over that plant, and kicked out the 5000 line that was moved to a new plant across town. Not sure what the logistics are now with the new 4X20 line, but know they have Deere engines in them.
I expect the other tractor brands do assembly in the USA too, along with plants world wide.
Quality, dealer, green paint, features, price were the things that twisted my decision to buy what I have. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #8  
Well written "beenthere".

Cityboy, this type of post almost always opens up a can of worms around here.

Fortunately, most of the "veterans" on this board recognize this and help dispel myths.

Yes JD is globally sourced. Please go to Augusta and take the tour, give us a report back on your findings if you can too.

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Last time I was in Augusta, they were working 3 shifts to produce the 4000's and turning out 45,000 tractors a year, )</font>

Tell 'em to work 4 shifts! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm planning on placing an order for one of the new 4000 series tractors with the JD factory cab. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Tell them to hurry when you are there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Are any tractors made in the U.S. anymore?
beenthere,

I did not intend to start any flames with my statement. Let me clarify my point a little better. Last night I was on the John Deere web site and noticed that the 5003 series tractors were manufactured in India. That got me to wondering if there is a true 100% American tractor out there. I was simply soliciting anyones thoughts who cared to respond. Anyway, I'm leaning green right now, but I'm open to quality, value and price regardless of the manufacturer.

Now as to Augusta, which is about 3 hours away from where I live now, I know that fair city quite well. My wife went to college there and that is where I courted her. Spent a whole bunch of time in Augusta. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I also well know about the JD plant there, including some folks that work there. When you were there, did you go to the riverwalk? My favorite place there was the King George Pub. Great memories. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do agree that John Deere is probably the most American tractor we have. My brother works for AGCO and told me if I bought anything green he would disown me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The problem with AGCO is there are no dealers close to me. Most of their products are made overseas too. AGCO is huge! They even own Cat now.

At any rate I wasn't trying to stir anything up. Just pondering & posting.