Tires

/ Tires #1  

tarious

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3320
First of all, I want to thank all of you on this forum. I am in the process of purchasing my first compact utility tractor, and I appreciate the opinions and knowledge offered here throughout this forum.

I’ll get to the point:

R4 tires, two sizes, what are the advantages of paying for the taller tire? I will be using the tractor mainly for mowing (5 acres), light landscaping, and some bucket work. From reading other posts, the R4’s seem to be relatively easy on the grass while providing more traction then turf tires.

I have already signed the purchase agreement. The dealer is trying to locate a tractor for me today. 3320, 300cx, 72 inch rear frontier mower.

I also welcome any other suggestions, or criticisms. This is a learning process for me.

Thank you,

Jerry Slinger/tarious
tarious@hotmail.com

/ Tires #2  
You probably will not be happy with turf tires if you are going to do any significant bucket work as the traction is just not there. Also, if you have any hills to mow, the R4s will provide better traction. My R4s on a NH TC45DA are pretty easy on the grass unless the ground is wet.

/ Tires #3  
For your purposes, I don't see any real advantage. I wasn't actually aware that one would have a choice of a taller tire on the model.
John

/ Tires
I am confused, maybe they are not taller, perhaps just larger rims or wider tires? Here are the options:

25x8.50-14 6PR Front R4 Ind 2 Pos.
15-19.5 6PR Rear R4 Ind. 2 Pos.

Or 150.00 more for:

27x8.5-15 6PR Front R4 Ind. 2 Pos.
43x16-20 4PR Rear R4 Ind. 2 Pos.

Thanks again,

/ Tires #6  
Jerry,

I just purchased the same tractor and took delivery last week. I opted for the larger R4's for similar use as you stated.

I have a 6' Bush Hog finish mower and gave the new tractor a work out last weekend. We just finished our house (at least in the final stages) and don't have the lawn in yet. My 10 acres was all fescue (now have about 2 acres of dirt!) but from what I saw I don't think the R4's will be a problem. I have a couple of areas that don't drain well and had to use the differential lock a couple of times but was able to drive right out.

Did you get a delivery date? As I posted a little while ago on the Deere forum, when I ordered mine Deere quoted a mid June delivery and said the delay was the larger R4's. So my dealer ordered with R1's and swapped tires with a 3520 he had on the floor.

Hope this helpsl

Steve

/ Tires
Thanks Steve! They told me today the tractor should be here next week, with the larger R4's.

How do you like your tractor so far? Is it what you expected? No trouble with the 6' mower?

Thanks,

/ Tires
Steve,

I am curious how you are approaching seeding the 2 acres. I am strongly considering converting some pasture into more lawn and building a small shop.

Till, herbicide, wait a week and plant grass? How do you plant the grass, some kind of grass seeder?

Thanks,

/ Tires #9  
You'd have a little larger rim, 15 and a little more height. May give you better traction, and the price isn't all that much more.
John

/ Tires
Thanks John! Would the taller tire result in less HP/TQ to the ground?

Thanks,