MMM or RFM

/ MMM or RFM #1  

tarious

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I have read a few posts here discussing mower decks. I plan to do a fair amount of FEL work and I am considering the RFM because it can be easily dropped.

My tractor will be here next week, and I need to make a mower decision by then.

First, the dealer is recommending Farm King, a local brand. Is anyone familiar with them? I would be looking at about 1500.00 for a 72 RFM.

I have noticed most here seem to prefer MMMs. What are the advantages/disadvantages to MMMs or RFMs?

Thank you,

/ MMM or RFM #2  
I have a 84" RFM. I suppose the advantage is for one, as you mentioned, its pretty simple to add/remove from the tractor. It also allows you to mow by backing up into low trees or over edges as I often do. The drawback is that you tend to overlap more then you otherwise would simply because you need to in order to be sure you don't overshoot which is easy to do when one little flinch on the steering wheel results in quite a bit of movement on the rear. If your using the loader frequently on rough areas, I would think the rear mount would be more advantageous. The mmm is surely easy to watch and know exactly where you need to be.

/ MMM or RFM
Thanks for your post.

I read someplace in a post that RFMs do not chop the grass as fine. Consequently, the end result is a "rougher" looking end result. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks

/ MMM or RFM #4  
Mine throws all the grass out the back somewhat evenly. It is also available in a right side discharge. I can get mulcher blades for mine and I suppose they would be comparable to a MMM as I don't really see the difference. My blades are turning quite fast.

/ MMM or RFM #5  
Jerry, I've used RFM and MMM and I prefer the MMM but that is mainly because I find it easier to mow up close to all the trees and shrubs and things we have planted. A good quality RFM will give a good cut, just like a MMM. A rotary cutter will give a rougher cut, it is sometimes confused with a RFM but they are different.

By the way Farm King is made by Buhler, it is a Canadian brand and pretty good quality stuff. I have a Farm King snow blower and like it a lot. I've looked at their box blades and rakes and find them to be of good quality also. My favorite brand of RFM is Befco, but you will likely pay an even higher price than the Buhler/Farm King. Befco makes a couple different quality levels, their top of the line is truely top of the line. I traded in a 10 year old unit and got $600 for it, it was resold by the dealer for $800. . . not bad for something that was that old and used weekly!

/ MMM or RFM #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What are the advantages/disadvantages to MMMs or RFMs? )</font>

Well, to quote my opinion from one of my old posts from nearly 3 years ago:

"Personally, I used the rear discharge 3-point Bush Hog finish mower and can't imagine anything I'd have liked better. Perhaps the main advantage of the mid-mount is that you don't have to look back; you can just look down at the mower to see how close you're getting to obstacles. It may also enable you to turn tighter around some obstacles without backing up. However, the mid-mount mower is tractor specific; only good for that particular brand and model of tractor (well, maybe some of them fit more than one model anyway), while the rear mower can be changed from one tractor to another if you ever decide to do any trading of tractors (or want to sell the mower in which case you have a much broader potential buyer base). The mid-mount mower usually costs more than the rear finish mower. The rear mower can be backed into corners, under trees and bushes, etc. The rear mower is easier to hook up and unhook. But of course, you also have to get used to it swinging in the opposite direction when you turn. The mid-mount mower can probably have a bagger added, if you wish; doubt that any rear mower can. The rear mower can be picked up higher by the 3-point hitch for cleaning underneath and/or removing the blades for sharpening and/or replacing (block it up instead of trusting the hydraulics, of course). As far as the quality of the cutting is concerned, I doubt there's any difference."

/ MMM or RFM #7  
Mark me up for another RFM person. I like being able to back under trees and absolutely LOVE the rear discharge. No matter how thick the grass is with the rear discharge, the clippings are evenly distributed (as opposed to windrowed like a side discharge). It requires neither bagging nor raking because it is evenly distributed. Sun can still get down and it doesn't kill the grass.

A couple of other reasons I went with RFM:

1) MMM = proprietary to each model of tractor. Potentially harder to replace/repair in the future. Nearly always much more expensive than a standardized CAT1 RFM.
2) No loss of ground clearance with RFM. Can be lifted high or taken completely off much easier.
3) Easier to work on or grease. In most cases don't even have to remove it from the tractor. Sometimes don't even turn the tractor off (I'm joking /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ MMM or RFM
Thanks for all of the posts... You guys are quick to respond!

Now that I think of it, I ordered the tractor without a mid PTO. Even if I purchase a RFM, will I regret not having the mid PTO?

Thanks

/ MMM or RFM #9  
I like the RFM , but then again i am just cutting grass in my fields that looks like lawn, for up close to the house and yard i use a GT.

/ MMM or RFM #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( will I regret not having the mid PTO? )</font>

Both of my Kubotas had a mid PTO; neither was ever used. But I live in Texas. In your part of the country, do you think you might want a front snowblower sometime?