Tractor Sizing Question about tractor size / capability..........

/ Question about tractor size / capability.......... #1  

smokepole

I have about 7-10 acres gently rolling pasture to bushhog (maximum 3% grade). About 2-3 acres will have numerous trees randomly set out about 30 feet apart. I am considering a B series Kubota (30hp), however, I have been told the largest bushog I could run would be 4 ft with the B series. A dealer says I need at least a L2800 to run a 5 ft bushog. I like the lighter weight of the B series (about 1700 lb) vs the 2600 lb for the L2800. I will also do some tilling (4 ft tiller is fine). Regardless of choice, I will be spending at least 12,500 for the tractor. Thanks in advance.

/ Question about tractor size / capability.......... #2  
I'm pretty conservative in what I recommend or use. I stick with manufaturer's recommendations, I believe in running PTO equipment at 540 rpm, and my soil conditions have proven that I need to be that way. Your conditions may vary.

There are bush hogs and then there are BUSH HOGS. The reality is a lightweight like a B7800 or a B3030 is not designed to take a heavy duty rotary cutter. However, there is no reason why you can't use a 5' light to medium duty rotary cutter with either of those tractors. However, I would not recommend using them to cut down trees, they should be fine for heavy grass and some light brush. Both of those tractors will easily handle a 72" finish mower for your fine mowing. Also I would easily recommend a tiller in the 60" range, even if you have heavy clay soils. If your soil is lighter, you could go up in size another 6" or so.

/ Question about tractor size / capability..........
Thanks for your input. I had not considered the "level" of bush hog duty. That makes alot of sense to me. All I will be cutting is pasture grass, no thick brush or saplings. I had a guy cut it a couple of weeks ago and it was high. He used a 20 hp tractor and said he had no problem getting through it. Thanks again.

/ Question about tractor size / capability.......... #4  
5hp per foot of shredder is a good rule of thumb for general cutting.

/ Question about tractor size / capability.......... #5  
1st of all welcome to the forum /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and 2nd Bob pretty much said it all, the level of duty will determine what you can and can not do with you tractor. You also mentinoed that you expect to pay $12,500 for the tractor? i imagine that is without a FEL or any implements?

/ Question about tractor size / capability..........
I was quoted 12,500 for an HST L2800 without implements. I hope to pay a total of about 15,000 including a tiller and 5 ft bush hog.

/ Question about tractor size / capability.......... #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was quoted 12,500 for an HST L2800 without implements. I hope to pay a total of about 15,000 including a tiller and 5 ft bush hog. )</font>

You will probably need weights on the front to keep the front wheels down if you are hanging a 5 foot bush hog on the back.

Alternatively, you could get a loader... the weight of that generally is enough, plus it's one of the more usefull attachments you'll ever come across. If you are thinking of getting a loader, it's generally cheaper to buy it at the same time as the tractor, rather than adding it later... though some have been able to negotiate a decent deal with their dealer if they agree to buy a loader within a specified amount of time of the original tractor purchase.

John Mc.