Ford 601 Series

/ Ford 601 Series #11  
a25223.jpg

Ok.. what you just saw is my 1955 ford 660 with a ford 722 1-arm loader. Those and the 711 loaders are a tad rare.. don't expect to see one like that.. but rather a more standard laoder with 2 arms and a slightly bigger bucket... Also.. notice that bucket.. they were called maneuer buckets.. Many of the loaders from that ere were similar... they weren't the big hulking loaders you see today. Not bad if you have some stock piled material.. -not real good at diging. Rear scoops dig fairly decently.

Backhoes were available at that time.. I've seen lots of 8ns with them... dearborn made a decent one. A buddy I know dug a pool and basement with one.. took probably 1.5x as long compaired to a 'real' backhoe you would see on a 30hp compact today.

Also.. power steering was optional on many of the hundred series.. as were other options.. like tranny and pto..

6** 4 wheel adjustable axle, 134ci gas / lp gas or 144 ci diesel

*X* 1- selectoospeed SOS, 2- 4 spd no pto/hyds, 3- 4spd no pto, 4- 4spd, 5- 5spd w/ tranny pto, 6- 5 spd w/ live pto, 7- SOS with 1spd pto, 8- SOS w/ 2 spd & ground drive pto

**X 1 built 1958-1962

It's a good strong machine.. like I said.. may have live pto, 5 spd tranny and power steering depending on model. The 5spd was nice compaired tot he 4 spd. On the 5 spd you have 2 gears top, middle, and bottom. on top, 3rd and revers are forward and back.. makes for almost like a 'shuttle shift.... 3rd still had decent power, and you ended up doing most of your work between 3rd and R...

If no PS.. then hang a big box or scrape blade on it... helps with steering. Here's a weight i made from concrete...

i2442.jpg

Great tractor if it is in good condition... Figure 33hp if gas.. will tote a 6' rotary mower..

As for mounting a loader.. the hundred series had more 'modern' tranny mounting holes on the R & L sides.

It's not your be-all-do all tractor.. but if it's engine is good,, you can drop in 6qts oil, filter, new plug wires, plugs, points, condensor, rotor, and cap for about 56 bucks from tractor supply... Add another 40$ if you do the tranny, hyds, and diffy oil as well.

Soundguy

/ Ford 601 Series #12  
Great looking tractor. I have never seen that type of loader. Alot of great information you put out there.

/ Ford 601 Series #13  
Yep.. it's a decent machinbe.. I'm tickled to death with mine. Even as old as it is.. the loader saves my back often.

The 711 loaders were power up, gravity down, and trip bucket. The 722 loaders were power up, gravity down, but had hyd 'curl', so you had power dump, and could do back dragging, etc. Again.. fairly rare.. but good workers.

The more common '2-post' loaders would dig a tad better due to not being offset mounted.

a25224.jpg

This doesn't show it well, but as I mentioned.. the hundred series had flat tapped boss's on the sides of the tranny to accept implements specifically like loaders, and subframes for mowers / backhoes, etc.

http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a25225.jpg

here's a closer shot of the bucket. Many loaders had light duty/low capacity buckets called maneuer or muck buckets.. denoted by the large 'toothbar'.. great for digging into loose stockpiles.. those tines are over a foot long..... Mine has the plate attachment on it that fits up to the bucket, and lays over the tines...giving it more payload area, and only exposing about 3"-4" of tines. I's decent for scooping piled dirt.. even clay.. Here I am scooping some clay for my horse stalls.

Once we find out what version of the 601 series it is.. the options will be known.

Soundguy

/ Ford 601 Series
Thank you all VERY much for the replies. Sorry for the delay on my part, I've been extremely busy.

The ditch that needs filling is a weird situation... It is basically water runoff from a couple streets that is emptied between my property and my neighbor's property (although the ditch is 90% on my property). For the past 50 years it has been eroding and is now about 20 ft deep and 300 ft long. The previous owner has tried taking legal action against the city to no avail. If I tried pursuing that avenue again it would probably cost me more in legal fees than it would cost to fix the problem.

My game plan is to obtain dirt from various sources when it is available (ie When people are trying to get rid of it). The tractor will just be used to transport "fluff" dirt from wherever it is dumped on my property.

If I can get enough dirt at once I will definitely consider renting something big (or hiring out like some of you suggest). But if I can only get a truckload here and there, a smaller tractor should suffice.

I'll try to go a couple feet at a time in order to get good compaction. Once filled, I will have someone lay an open brow ditch or the like.

Let me know your thoughts on all of this.

Now, back on topic about the tractor(s)!

I have been trying to contact the owner about the Ford 601 Series tractor. I will try to get the exact model and other information about the FEL as well. For some reason I neglected to mention in my first post that the owner said this tractor does have PTO.

Unless this tractor is in good condition and I can get it for a deal, I will probably move on... I have heard great things about these old Fords, so I'm not going to scratch it off the list just yet. Once I get some more details I/we will be able to make a more educated decision. If it doesn't have power steering that will be a big red mark. I didn't even think of that but it makes perfect sense and RonR spelled it out nicely.

"Another thing: If the 601 doesn't have power steering that works, having a load on the front makes it almost impossible to steer. You will curse every hour you drive it with something in the bucket....."

SteveM you made a great point as well.

"....going from no tractor experience to an antique is a tough leap, and most people end up frustrated or worse."

I really do have to consider that...

Also Steve, what you said about a backhoe is a good point as well. They are expensive and I could probably get all of my backhoe work done in a day on a rental as well. Great advice!

Soundguy, thanks for the great information. Once I find out the exact version I'll let you know and I'm sure you can give me another load of info. If it turns out to be one of the more "loaded" models I will give it some more thought. Right now I think I'm just looking for something that will be able to move dirt rather easily and be a real workhorse. Like I said earlier, I'm not going to rule this one out until I find what version it is. Beautiful tractor there by the way. That one arm loader is very cool looking!

Charlie, Frank, Donny, Keith and anybody else I didn't mention thanks for all of your input as well! It is much appreciated.

Additionally, I was thinking of making a new topic about this, but I'm not sure of the forum rules and I don't want to impose. Now that you guys know what I'll be using a tractor for, can someone suggest the best "bang for the buck" that fits this bill?

Used and in the $7k-$10k range.
Proficient FEL
Four Wheel Drive
PTO (for possible future implements)
Box Scraper (Optional)

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Carter

PS Charlie, I'm from Orange County, (Southern) California.

/ Ford 601 Series #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( SteveM you made a great point as well.
"....going from no tractor experience to an antique is a tough leap, and most people end up frustrated or worse."
)</font>

I see that as a real point of view issue. As a matter of fact, I would imagine that if a person had 'modern' tractor experience.. then switched to an antique.. that's wher ethe frustration would be.. going from 4x4, hydro, PS, live everything, rops, etc.. to pan seat, gear tranny/tranny pto, gas engine.. 2wd no ps.. etc. To go from no tractor experience to an antique would probably be a neutral experience... imho.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "Another thing: If the 601 doesn't have power steering that works, having a load on the front makes it almost impossible to steer. You will curse every hour you drive it with something in the bucket....."
)</font>

Not incorrect.. but perhaps.. exagerated? A good large rear counterweight does offset the weight on a front end on a 2wd tractor with fel. Also.. when rolling.. steering isn't that bad.. it's when you try to start off 'dead' turning, and have no counterweight that a laoded bucket on a 2wd tractor is tough... Adding that counterweight to my 660 made it 'feel' like ps after moving clay with it all day, the day before.. It drove so much more smoothly after the counterweight.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For some reason I neglected to mention in my first post that the owner said this tractor does have PTO.
)</font>

That makes it a *4* or better.. if it does have pto, as 1,2,3 had no pto.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Ford 601 Series
You bring up and interesting and seemingly valid point. I can sure attest to the fact that the saying "they don't make 'em like they used to" is pretty darn true. And like you say they are probably a lot simpler as well. Not so many gadgets and stuff. Throws a whole different spin on the situation…

The power steering issue still adds a little damper... I'm not gung-ho on adding weight. From what I’ve read people are adding weight so maybe it’s not a bad idea anyway. If the tractor does end up having PS all the better!

I'm still waiting for a response from the owner.

Again, thanks for the input. It's valuable indeed.

Best Regards,
Carter

/ Ford 601 Series #17  
Weight is easy to add. I did mine for less than 30 bucks.. mostly a tub of concrete bolted tot he drawbar.

If you are hanging a box blade on the back you could simply load it up with scrap iron.. railroad iron, suitcase weights.. or even barbell weights with easy to fab brackets.

good luck

Soundguy

/ Ford 601 Series #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My game plan is to obtain dirt from various sources when it is available (ie When people are trying to get rid of it). )</font>
=============
<font color="green"> A good way to get free dirt and free hauling of it is when the state county or township is cleaning out road ditches is to have them dump it at your place. </font>

I have gotten a lot of free truck loads of dirt this way.

It's surprising how many dump truck loads of dirt are removed from a road side ditch when it's cleaned out.

The road crews have to haul and dump it somewhere and are willing to give it to you especially if it's a short haul from where they're working.

***************</font>
GET THE BASICS HERE.</font>
http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=410243#post410243
*****************</font>
>