Tractor purchase

/ Tractor purchase #1  

LouHill

Tractor
John Deere 770
I am a newbie. I just purchased a 1998 John Deere 770. It looks showroom new. It had 70 hours on the machine. It was purchase by a gentlemen who later found he didn't have time to mow his own yard. It came with Turf tires, a front hydraulic selector valve, 4 wheel drive, a rm 660 wooods finish mower (six foot) and a five foot woods scraper blade. The implements look brand new with only a few hours on them.

The gentlemen was asking $12,000 based upon advice from the local Cincinnati John Deere Dealer. He paid approx. $15,000 in 1999.) I picked up the package for $10,500.

The dealer changed the oil in the year 2000 when the machine had 66 hours. I immediately changed the oil (not the filter since almost new) and changed the antifreeze.

Any thoughts on this machine or the purchase price?

/ Tractor purchase #2  
Lou,

First of all welcome to TBN. The machine is a good machine from what I have read here. As far as pricing I think you did ok, but it is hard to tell as pricing varies from area to area. If you go back and fill in your profile in regards to the area you live in then people from your area can tell you if you got a good deal or not.

Good luck with your new rig and if you get a chance to get some pictures please post them as we all love them.

murph

/ Tractor purchase #3  
Welcome to the forum! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The price sounds ok but you did not mention if it had a FEL or not. Also, what is your main use and various tasks that you wish to perform?

/ Tractor purchase
I mainly purchased it for mowing grass and moving my 21 foot boat around the house. Someday I want to get a FEL for miscellaneous jobs around the house. Currently, I live in a subdivision with a 1.5 acre yard. I intend to move up to house and barn on 5 to 10 acres within the next ten years. I currently live in Cincinnati.

/ Tractor purchase #5  
For the property you have, I'll think you'll find that model is just fine. The price was pretty good as well for what you got.
I think you'll be happy to get a loader on it though, as you will find MANY jobs around even a small property that fit with using a loader.
Nothing like having a $10K wheelbarrow!
Welcome to the forum.
For future posting and help, it would be nice for you to fill out your profile. Go to My Home at the top of page, and then choose personal settings to fill in your info.
John