Just Bought Property - Need Tractor!

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #1  

John_B32

My wife and I recently closed escrow on a 3.3 acre piece of land with plans to build a home. Our contractor tells us we should be in ground in a month or so.

Now that the house design is in order, it’s time to turn my attention to the land maintenance. Here’s a description of the land:
* 3.3 Acres
* 600’ paved driveway
* Rolling Terrain (20% max slope)
* 100 citrus trees

The backyard pad will only be approx 4000 sf. After that there will be a 3’ fill slope and then it’s back to the current, natural terrain. So, for now I’m not planning on having a huge grass backyard. What I will have though is a couple of acres of natural, weedy land.

That being said, here’s what I think I need in a tractor:
* Mow 2 acres of weeds 5 or 6 times a year
* Haul my trashcans approx 600’ to the street every week
* Maintenance of the citrus trees (picking, pruning, irrigation repair, etc.)
* General grading and landscaping on the property

I’m assuming I’ll use a different mower to mow by grass backyard.

So, what would you recommend? I’ve looked at the Kubota B7510 and like it. The salesman says a mid-mower won’t work for the weeds so I’ll need to get a rear PTO weed mower (Please let me know if you disagree with his assessment). Finally, do I really need a FEL? I was thinking about just getting a rear PTO mower, box scrapper and fork lift attachment (for trashcans).

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #2  
Your dealer is right about the mid mower. You need a brush hog type mower for the taller grasses/weeds.

The B7510 would be a good tractor for all around. From what you say, finish mowing would not be much but I do see all kinds of oportunities with a FEL. If I was you, I would look at buying a riding lawn mower for your finish mowing needs and and maybe go up one class in your tractor. With all of them fruit trees you will be using your loader a lot and tend to think the loader on the smaller compact will be tad bit light. Just something to think about.

murph

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #3  
I'd gues you need a scut, or smalish cut.. like 18-24hp range.

4wd will be nice on the slopes, if you can swing it... deffinately if you get a fel.

A 4' rough mower will handle the weeds. Box blade is a great tool, and a pallet carrier as a work platform, and haul your trash cans. A rear scoop may handle your small digging needs, unless you do really want a front end loader.

Soundguy

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #4  
I just want to say that I would definitely go with a FEL. You will find 100 uses for it and never use a wheel barrow again. I also think it would be a simpler feat to rest your trash in the bucket or get a set of bucket forks rather than swapping 3ph attachments just to haul trash once a week.

I don't know why a belly mount wouldn't cut weeds. I have a G2160 and have cut foot high "grass" with it before. I just didn't lower it all the way. If you won't be mixing saplings and brush in your cutting I just don't know why you would need a rotary cutter. Just mow more often, which shouldn't take too long.

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #5  
I'd check out both the JD 2210 and 4010. Definitely recommend an FEL. Also consider a carryall to fit on the 3 pt. You might even want the larger carryall with dump capability. The combo of the FEL plus carryall would hold A LOT of citrus fruit or pruned limbs, etc. A brush hog will do fine for the weeds and for cutting between the trees. Try mowing your yard with the brush hog. You might find it okay. You'll want front and rear guards on it in cutting anywhere near the house. They'll help to mulch the grass rather than have it slung out the back without a guard. Actually, you might want to check out getting a flail mower for doing both the weeds and the grass. They don't windrow like a rotary. Agri-Supply has a couple different flail models on their web site. You'll very likely like the flail not sticking out the back so far to be more maneuverable around those trees, etc.

I drove a B7510, BX1830, JD 2210 and JD 4010 and bought a 4010. The fixed ROPS on the 2210 and 4010 is lower than the folding ROPS of the 7510. You'll be surprised how many tree branches you'll snag with ROPS. The lower the better to avoid this. My main drive was a ROPS low enough to drive right under regular doors, but I also have lots of trees on my property and properties across which I maintain trails.

Ralph

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #6  
JohnB32,check out the tractor dealer on hwy 67 just as you get into Romona. I didn't get mine there, wish that I had though. He should be able to help you out. I believe that he has better prices than most everybody else around this area.One more thing, you will use a loader more than you could possibly imagine.

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #7  
FEL = front end jack, wheelbarrow, earth/gravel/sand mover, general lifting device or rock tosser, man lift to work on tree tops or house shutters, etc. Only disadvantage is a little bit more sticking out in front to learn to gauge for in making turns and around $2600 more out of your pocket. May save that in future in medical work on your back.

Ralph

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #8  
I pretty much agree. Having built my own home, and over the last four years worked on the landscaping myself, I can say you should definitely have a front end loader. I have done things with mine that I never really imagined. I just built a 60 foot retaining wall that would have been impossible without it. Just go ahead and get the 4wd also. I upped to the B2410 with my three acres, and was glad I did then; And I just purchased 10 more, so now I am glad I did. Besides, grass is not the GREEN stuff that decides the size of your tractor...

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #9  
for slopes like that I would say a SCUT with it's low center of gravity would be best. The JD 2210 is very stable mowing slopes. I would say this class tractor is about right for what you will do.though I know nothing about fruit tree maintenance.

/ Just Bought Property - Need Tractor! #10  
i will just reenforce what the other posters did. mid 20 hp range, 4wd WITH FEL.