Another first time buyer

/ Another first time buyer #1  

grwoolf

Bronze Member
My property is about 5 acres. Main uses will be grading, moving rocks, brush hogging, install gravel driveway and yard. I may try to mow with the tractor some day, but that is a secondary concern. My main concerns are running a 5ft brush hog and getting a FEL with as much capacity as possible. I would also like hydro drive. I have only looked at the Kubotas (Big B's and small L's), and the dealer recommended the L2800 because of the larger frame and FEL capacity (compared to the B series). He quoted me $15,300 with FEL and I don't want to spend much more than that. I called the John Deere dealer and he said their comparable machine is a 3120 and this would run me $18,900. I asked if they had a machine similar to the L2800 in HP and size for less that $17k and he said no, but the JD was much nicer than the Kubota, but couldn't give me any details. I'm not going to spend that kind of $, so I am not going to bother driving to look at the JD's. I really like the Kubota dealer, but hate to pull the trigger on something without looking at other options. Any recommendations on other models/brands that are similar to the L2800? Any feedback (good or bad) on the L2800 would also be greatly appreciated.

/ Another first time buyer #2  
As a Kubota and New Holland owner/operator, the one model from Kubota that I really dislike is the L2800. And let me state I really like Kubota, I think they have the best engines in the tractor industry. They are often a very good value in terms of price. I think the L2800 is their weakest offering. The transmission driven PTO, and low feature set really makes this tractor pretty unattractive compared to some other brands. It would be marginal in terms of power for a 5' rotary cutter. I would suggest you take a good look at Massey Ferguson, Farmtrac, Kioti or Mahindra, they have tractors that are nicer than the L2800 (in terms of features and sophistication) in the same price range.

/ Another first time buyer #3  
Yeah I wouldn't spend that kind of money on the Kubota when you could get a FarmTrac 300 DTC for around $16,000 and its a lot more machine. Not just Farmtrac but there are other makes that "out class" that particular Kubota for around the same price range.

/ Another first time buyer #4  
I'd look at a tc 29 / 30.. go fo rthe hst and 4x4.. see where the price falls.

If you like orange.. Kioti is a great brand too.

The 29/30 will get you in 5' mower options.

Soundguy

/ Another first time buyer #5  
You need to look at Kiotis. They are great tractors.

/ Another first time buyer #6  
you live in south texas!!!!!!!! for gods sake atleast look at mahindra before you pull the trigger. their main factory is in tomball, and they make great machines.

tom

/ Another first time buyer
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunatly, there are no Mihindra or Kioti dealers in Austin that I could find using the web search on their sites. For that matter, there are no John Deere or Hew Holland either, but at least there are some withing 25 miles or so. The Kubota dealer has been in business for over 50 years and has 2 locations. One pretty close to my work, the other very close to the property I am buying the tractor for. I want to look at other options, but dealer location and reputation are pretty important to me. I was at the Kubota dealer at lunch today and looked at/test drove an L2800 and also looked at the L3400 and L3130. the 3400 is only about $1k more with 5 more PTO HP, and the L3130 is $2k more than the 3400, with less HP, but more options. I don't really care about the tilt wheel, electronic dash, etc., but the 3pt on the 3130 is a lot nicer, and I have read some negative things about the hydraulics on the L2800/L3400 3pt being very jerky. The other advantage of the 3130 that I care about is I can get an upgraded FEL with 1600 lb capacity vs. around 1000 on the 3400. Right now, I am leaning toward the L3400 just for the extra HP and to save a couple grand. I am still open to other options and will probably drive to the JD dealer to look at what they offer.

/ Another first time buyer #8  
grwoolf,

I assume you're talking about Lanford Equipment. I have been in their Marble Falls location and was impressed by their friendliness and inventory. I hope they can develop a big enough customer base to stay out there. One day, I'll be upgrading my old tractor, but not until I can live with it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Another first time buyer
Yes, I am talking about Lanford

/ Another first time buyer #10  
Which side of Austin is your property?

When you get up to a L3130, you are talking more money. If saving money is one of your main concerns, look at the Mahindra. If you might need to resell someday, I feel it is worth finding a slightly used machine (even Deere) that someone else has taken the depreciation hit.

You need 4x4 and hydro is nice. The JD dealer here in Giddings has the tractors in the open where you can sit on all of them anytime you want. They might have a little better pricing. The 3120 JD is much nicer than an L2800. I can't believe the salesman couldn't tell you the differences. Do a search here for Loadmatch. It is a feature that alone could be worth the price if you understand what it does and how to use it. I dealt with Lanford while I was looking for a tractor. They tried to push a B7500 on me and I have 26 acres... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I can tell you now that even my 4310 is small for this land. It would be a great machine for what you are needing. Luckily, we have a nice 5420 in the family at my beck and call.

Definitely shop around. Keep an eye on the want ads. Pour over the spec's but don't fret if one model might lift 150 lbs more than another. But, when you start comparing apples to apples you'll find a JD doesn't cost anymore than a comparable Kubota. At least around here they don't.