JD 4115 vs. Kubota B2630

/ JD 4115 vs. Kubota B2630 #1  

seapea

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubtoa B2620
Can someone tell me why I should by a JD 4115 instead of a Kubota B2630? Both dealers are quoting about 14% off list for the tractor + FEL, but the Kubota is about $2000 less than the JD. I've charted out the specs to make sure I'm not missing anything, and from what I can tell the Kubota comes out ahead:<ul type="square">[*]2HP more[*]stronger loader[*]much stronger Backhoe (if I ever go that route)[*]much stronger 3PH[*]3 HST ranges[*]telescopic lift arm[*]tilt steering[/list]
The only advantages I can see that the JD4115 has is that it is a bit smaller, which I want, especially the width, which is about 7" narrower, and it also has a better alternator. Am I missing something? Is there something inherently better about the 4115 the doesn't show up in the specs? Is the 4115 usually discounted more than the B2630 and I should be pushing the JD dealer for more than 14% off? I was surpised I even got this discount, since good discounts are hard to come by around here, although I did warn him that the Kubota dealer was giving me 14% off.

I'm sure plenty of JD owner will chime in with how much they love their 4115, and Kubota B2630 owners will do the same (although there probably aren't too many of them yet). I'm sure they are both great tractors. What I'm really looking for is a concrete comparison of the two based on facts or direct comparisons of the two, not just experiences people have had with one or the other.

Yes, I know there are other things to consider, like the dealer I'm working with, how much he charges for other equipment I'll be buying, and which tractor is actually best for me. I'm just trying to first get a better grip on the comparative values of these two tractors.

thanks,

Chris

/ JD 4115 vs. Kubota B2630
FYI:

JD 4115, folding ROPS, R4's, 410 FEL w/ 53" bucket: ~$18,000
Kubota B2630, folding ROPS, R4's, LA403 FEL w/ 54" bucket: ~16,100

/ JD 4115 vs. Kubota B2630 #3  
<font color="blue"> What I'm really looking for is a concrete comparison of the two based on facts or direct comparisons of the two, not just experiences people have had with one or the other. </font>
I don't think you are going to get many responses. When asking for that type of comparison. TBN is about experiences. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Have you tried to use the <font color="green"> JD </font> Compare feature when looking at their site for the 4115?
<font color="orange"> Kubota </font> has an alternator upgrade kit that is dealer installed. It has 40+ amps output. Less than $200.

/ JD 4115 vs. Kubota B2630 #4  
Seapea,

Welcome to TBN. You might also help us to help you out by going back in and filling out your profile as to the whereabouts of where you live. Prices vary from area to area and this way people in your area can help you.

murph

/ JD 4115 vs. Kubota B2630 #5  
Some of the issues you mention relate directly to the 4115 being smaller. Smaller machines tend to have lower performance numbers. Also a bit of smoke and mirrors goes on in those numbers. On paper the Kub is abetter buy (and you would not be making a mistake buying it) But will the 4115 do what you need? Is it possible that in real life there is little difference in the performance.

In the Kub's favor, is it really too big? Will it go where you need it to? Someone here said well that we can grow into a larger tractor a lot more quickly than we expect.

Finally, the manufacturers tend to leap frog each other. The xx30 Kub is their latest model, the Deere is the end of the model run. Their new models are rumored out in August. You might not be able to wait for them. But you can bet that a week after you get a Kub, you will see something really cool from Deere. At least that is what would happen to me!

Kubota makes a fine machine. Get it and save $2 grand!

Or ask for more/better bids on the Deere if that is what you want. They may be able to get closer to keep you off a tractor that doesn't even have a yellow seat..

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't think you are going to get many responses. When asking for that type of comparison. TBN is about experiences.)</font>
Yes, but then I've read plenty of experiences already to know what I would expect with each, and would probably be happy with either.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have you tried to use the JD Compare feature when looking at their site for the 4115?)</font>
I've actually done much more than this. JD Compare, Kubota Compare, spec sheets, brochures.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kubota has an alternator upgrade kit that is dealer installed. It has 40 amps output. Less than $200. )</font>
I'm not necessarily looking for a better alternator, but just wanted to consider that 4115 already has a better one.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Welcome to TBN. You might also help us to help you out by going back in and filling out your profile as to the whereabouts of where you live. Prices vary from area to area and this way people in your area can help you. )</font>

Thought I had alredy done that, but I guess not. I live in the SF Bay area. Prices are high here. The two closest Kubota Dealers (about 30 miles away each) gave little or no discount. I went 60+ miles away to get the 14% Kubota discount. The JD dealer is also about 30 miles away and very close to one of the Kubota Dealers.

Since I'm getting similar discounts from JD and Kubota, I was mostly wondering if JD's are usually discounted more to get them into the same price range as the Kubotas.

/ JD 4115 vs. Kubota B2630 #8  
I've bought more than one new tractor from both Kubota and JD. They honestly have been very good tractors and I've gotten tremendous resale out of each tractor. I've actually made money on some after using them for a couple of years. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Both companies have excellent reputations and they are the top two companies in compact tractor sales. I think you would be well served by either. I have not personally used either particular model you are considering, but I don't think they would be any different in quality than the models I've owned. I'm sort of surprised that there is that much price difference though. If you can't tell, I really can't recommend one manufacturer over the other. I'd say to just buy which you like the best. However, when you weigh the stats, and especially the price, it appears that one has an advantage over the other for you. Good luck!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Some of the issues you mention relate directly to the 4115 being smaller. Smaller machines tend to have lower performance numbers. Also a bit of smoke and mirrors goes on in those numbers. On paper the Kub is abetter buy (and you would not be making a mistake buying it) But will the 4115 do what you need? Is it possible that in real life there is little difference in the performance.

In the Kub's favor, is it really too big? Will it go where you need it to? Someone here said well that we can grow into a larger tractor a lot more quickly than we expect.)</font>

If I want to compare something a bit more apple to apples, I would compare the 4115 to the Kubota B7610. In terms of size and performance, the two are almost identical, except the 4115 is heaver, but I could alway add weight. I am close to buying the B7610, but want position control, so I started looking at the B2630. I really didn't want to go to larger tractor like the B2630, so that got me to the JD 4110 or 4115, which are similar in size to the B7610, but have position control.

However, if you compare the 4115 to the B7610, things look even worse for the 4115. Like I said, they are similar in size and performance, but the 4115 is about $4300 more when both machines are discounted similarly. What do you get for the $4300? Mainly position control and independent PTO, plus a few other rather small things, like the bigger alternator. Hardly worth $4300.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Finally, the manufacturers tend to leap frog each other. The xx30 Kub is their latest model, the Deere is the end of the model run. Their new models are rumored out in August. You might not be able to wait for them. But you can bet that a week after you get a Kub, you will see something really cool from Deere. At least that is what would happen to me!)</font>
...and they both have 0% financing ending at the end of the month. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kubota makes a fine machine. Get it and save $2 grand! )</font>
That's where I'm leaning, although probably with the B7610.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Or ask for more/better bids on the Deere if that is what you want. They may be able to get closer to keep you off a tractor that doesn't even have a yellow seat.. )</font>
I might be able to squeeze a few hundred more out of him, but given I'm already getting a 14% dicount and this is an expensive area, I doubt I'll get enough off to convince me it's worth buying the 4115