Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #1  

Akebalan

Due to budgetary concerns I am looking a 2 tractors and am having a hard time deciding between the 2. First of all I have 48 AC that I current live on, of which about 7 is cleared with several trees the remainder is thick woods. Two of the 7 is yard and I use a JD-L130 to mow. I have hired a local guy to rough cut the other 5 for about $125 - $150.

I want to purchase a tractor to cut the 5 acres I currently pay someone to do and maintain or make the woods usable (ie cut trails, install food plots and some minor clearing). I also know that I will placing cattle in the woods and will have to unload and move round bales in the near future.

That being said, me and the Boss have agreed upon a $19K budget to purchase a new tractor with loader and mower. We don't want to go used because we want something with a warrenty because of bad luck buying used automobiles and other stuff and we only want to by 1 tractor for the next 10 to 15 years from a company who will definately be around during that time frame.

I have narrowed my choices down to a Kubota L3130 / 3330 (4wd) and JD 5103 (2wd), both are within budget based on local dealer quotes. I guess I'm trying to dicide which will better suit my long term needs.

What are your suggestions any and all will be useful.

Thanks

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #2  
Welcome to Tractorbynet. As far as brand and models, the two you named are both good. In my opinion, you will not be happy with any small tractor equipped with a front end loader unless you get the 4WD. Beyond that, happy shopping, because the best one is the one you like best.

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #3  
If you have a dealer near by, check out Kioti. Welcome aboard.

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #4  
I,m looking to buy a new tractor also. I,ve looked at the JD 4120, Kubota GrandL 4330 HST, and the Mahindra 4530. All are 4wd and have FEL. The JD was priced to me at 22,790 the kubota was 22,500, and the mahindra was 18,600 and the mahindra seemed to be built very heavy duty. Mahindra also has a great warranty to and at this price I'll be able to get a brush hog and box blade and still stay under JD and kubota.

One thing I looked at was the specs on these tractors and i found that the mahindra weighs appr. 2200lbs more and has a lot more lift cappacity so to me the mahindra seems to be more for your money. However, I'll still havent purchased a tractor yet and I'm not counting out the JD or Kubota.

From the info i gather all of these tractors would be a great machine and it all boils down to which one you like best.

Boy..That sure helps... Doesnt it?

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice
I've looked at the Manhindra, but I'm not sure about
1. Resale value
2. How long the company will be in the US.
3. Part's availability down the road

From what I've heard, even while visiting this board, stick with on of the big 3 (JD, Kubota, and NH), but if you must go with a second tier go with a MF or maybe Kioti.

I have no doubt that Mahindra makes a fine product, but I need a level of comfort knowing that they will still be in the picture and supporting their customers later on down the road.

I have also recently seen some discorouging news about Mahindra & their growing pains on this board.

Thanks

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #6  
WELCOME TO THE FORUM /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and as for your question you defenitly want 4wd, small tractors without 4wd can't do much and even tho both of those machines a LARGER than mine, i would still HIGHLy recommend 4 wd

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #7  
Since you are not accepting PMs, I guess I'll have to say it to you in front of everyone: Since you don't seem to own a tractor at all (based on bio), and as most people don't buy a tractor based on "re-sale", and as you obviously have not done any research on MAHINDRA (worldwide) i'm not sure if I'd put much stock in your statement, but would defend your right to state it to the death....BobG in VA

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #8  
I have to agree strongly with the 4wd suggestion if you plan on a loader. Also, I think you have made very good decisions on your choices, and your 2nd tier choices. Sorry, but in general if someone tells you to not worry about resale at all, they probably own a tractor that has poor resale. It very well may not be a reflection on the quality of the tractor, but unless you are 100% positive you will purchase the exact right tractor for you, and that you will undoubtedly keep it for 20 years or more, resale does have to play into the equation. It could mean the difference between making a thousand dollar mistake or a 10 thousand dollar mistake.

Other than be sure to get 4wd if you plan on a loader, I think you are on the right track. Buy the one on your list that fits you best; feel, drive, dealer, and budget. Good luck!!

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #9  
Welcome to TBN. Somehow an L3130 doesn’t seem synonymous with budget, but I guess everyone has different limits. You do not mention what transmission system you’re looking for (gear or HST), or if you want a mid mount or rear mount mower. I would get 4WD in this size of tractor for sure, especially with a loader. Personally, I think you could get all the capability you need for considerably less money than you’ll spend on a L3130, although I understand the L3130 has a very powerful loader. Check out the Kioti LK3054XS, CK30, and the DK models for comparison.

/ Trying to Make a Good Tractor Choice #10  
<font color="blue">but if you must go with a second tier go with a MF or maybe Kioti. </font>

WOW! I didn't know the number one selling brand of tractor in the world (MF) is 2nd class. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Good luck in your choices, and get 4wd.

RedDog