40 hp tractor, who has best product?

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #21  
"Dealer can make you satified or miserable, regardless of brand"

I guess that is the way most folks feel about it. I bought my first Kubota from Carvers, 3000 miles away. I never had a single issue where I needed anything from the dealer. I sold my L48 after several hundred hours and replaced it with a Kubota L3830. I got this one from my local dealer. I haven't used him either after 500 hours. I am either lucky or just not a dealer dependent type. I did buy my first set of filters from him but have resorted to Tractorsmart for the others. Its just so much easier since my delaer is 4 miles away. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #22  
No contradiction at all. I disagree with you. You also fall right into the category of using a disclaimer "for the value". The post was about "who has the best product". I missed the disclaimer of "for the money" or "for the best value". If any insult, you seem to be trying to insult anyone who bought what they deemed to simply be the best product. You try to discount those by claiming that they are trying to impress neighbors. Nothing personal, but I couldn't possibly give a rat's *** about what you think of what I buy. I simply buy what I think is the best product. Period. No additional disclaimer needed.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #23  
Brent,

Lately, your posts and 'thread closed' are becoming synonymous. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Don

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #24  
Dargo,

We do disagree. As you have acknowledged, most posts discuss a tractors quality in relation to price. By analyzing both price and quality the posters are not considering only price; hence the contradiction in your earlier post. My point is value (quality, features, experience of owners, dealer support in relation to price) is the better basis for comparison then strictly price or strictly quality. You’ve already pointed out some of the pitfalls associated with buying only on price. The issue with quality is it can’t be determined by visual observation; in fact many of the most important areas for quality construction would require disassembling the machine to examine. At best we can only see the quality of the fit and finish. Believing otherwise is self diluting.

<font color="blue">"… you seem to be trying to insult anyone who bought what they deemed to simply be the best product " </font> My observations on people who buy on price alone highlighted there are two price extremes, the highest and the lowest. For some folk's needs, the most expensive brand may be the best value. My comments are only insulting to those who selected their tractor based only on a high price. In retrospect I see that is unfair, as there are people who believe the myth that the best always comes with the highest price tag.

<font color="blue">"You also fall right into the category of using a disclaimer "for the value" "</font> Yes I bought my tractor based on value, neither the cheapest nor the most expensive tractor available. After several months conducting a costs benefits analysis (something I do at work) of the various tractors on the market, I selected the model offering the most value to me. Cost was a factor, but NOT the ONLY factor in selection process. In my professional experience, the best value tends to be neither the least nor the most expensive options.

I don’t believe there is an absolute answer to the original question, “40 hp tractor, who has best product”. Some much of determining what is “best” is subjective and most be weighed in respect to how the owner will be using the machine and other personal considerations.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product?
I have about 25 acres around the house. Mostly wooded with trials to keep up that my kids create ruts in with their quads. I have a zero turn mower to cut my couple of acres of grass. Drive is about 1/4 mile long and although paved, it is in bad shape due to drainage problems. I am going to add a service road to my barn, which will mean cutting a few tress and pulling my box blade to level the ground. I want to put in drainage ditch pipe along the drive, add new culverts and replace a few old ones, plant trees, transplant trees, build open ditching through the woods as the property slopes to the west to a creek. Low spots in the woods create mosquito nests which I want to dry up. Will be doing alot of landscaping work, patio on back of house, want to bury my propane tank, just alot of all around work. At some point it would me a nice added feature if the tractor could pull a 6' rotary cutter to help out on farm. So, major attributes are size and power. I am a firm believer in buying as much hp as you can for the size. I have owned tractors under hp and it is very frustrating. I really do need something that is nimble, tough, and strong.

I did stop at the kubota dealer and looked at the L39. That seems to be a good size tractor for my application. Not too big, but not too small either. Anyone with experience with that size tractor and info on whether I am on the right track? Although I did mention a brand, it was only made for purposes of describing the type and size of tractor relevant to my general question about the "best" tractor. The way I like to approach the buying process is find the best tractor I can find. By best I mean, who make the absolute best tractor taking into account all the features, quality, fit, finish, creature features, warranty, performance, hp, durability, etc. Then I look at the price. The next step for me is to determine if the "best" tractor is the worth the price, and what are the runners up and their price. If I think the best tractor is worth the price, then it will end up in my yard. If not, then I look to the alternatives.

I know my question was loaded, but I was looking for different views on what folks like and dislike about the different brands. I am not wedded to a particular color or brand. I have owned many different ones using my method of purchase. I guess it relates to the old saying, "who is the best man for the job" with out concern for external considerations. Your advice and input continue to be appriciated. Please remember that I am looking for tractor, bh, and FEL, 4wd. Thanks!

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product?
Oh, and buy the way, I picked 40 hp because it seems to be the upper range in power for the size tractor I am considering. It can be a little smaller or bigger in hp as long as it meets the nimble, etc, requirements.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #27  
I have 16 acres, half tillable, half forested.... and my 40 HP tractor is absolutely the right sized tractor for me and the things I use it for. I think I would struggle with smaller or bigger.

As for brands... bells and whistles, or basic workhorse...that's up to you.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #28  
Fendt makes a 200 series tractor that has all the deluxe features plus 60-80HP and is 42" wide

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #29  
Of course MOST people are going to ask for the best tractor for the dollar. Not all of us can afford to just go out and pick a tractor without considering cost. No tractor has it all and we understand that. Money does play a big factor for me, and to not put that into the equation would be foolish. You all write what is the best tractor, and then I have to post again saying, "these are the best, but now name one I can afford".
You are smart to put that clause in these posts, not the opposite. Just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #30  
<font color="blue"> Of course MOST people are going to ask for the best tractor for the dollar. Not all of us can afford to just go out and pick a tractor without considering cost. </font>

rico304 . . . I'm going to have to disagree with the theory of shopping by price as I think it is limiting. There are 2 issues here. They are different issues that intertwine differently for different people.
#1 = what is the best for the jobs I have to do?
#2 = what is the best for the given $$$ I can spend?

My general feeling is that all tractors should be considered, and then based on the jobs that need to be done, the tractors should be ranked in terms of the "best" for the tasks that YOU will ask of the tractor. "Best" will of course be a series of compramises simply because tasks very from user to user so each user must determine the features that are needed versus simply desirable ("needs" vs "wants"). After the tractors are considered and then they are ranked from best to worst (in terms of suitability) then price can be factored in. By doing this, you can be assured of getting the "best machine for the money" for the jobs you need to do.

JMHO