L3400 vs. TC33DA - Buying tomorrow

/ L3400 vs. TC33DA - Buying tomorrow #1  

grwoolf

Bronze Member
I am trying to decide on a tractor and plan to buy tomorrow. I have never owned a tractor before, but have rented equipment quite a bit. I am still debating over 2 machines and would appreciate any final advice or guidance from the experts on this site. Thanks for all the help many of you have already given.

Kubota L3400 HST, R4 tires
LA463 FEL with 66" HD L2253 bucket
Wells Ag Canopy
Multi-seal in tires
Kubota is going to install control valve from L3130 on 3pt.
$17,580 delivered

NH TC33DA HST, R4 Tires
14LA FEL with HD Bucket with Skid Steer Quick release
Wells Ag Canopy
Multi-Seal in Tires
$19,217 delivered ($1,637 more than the Kubota)

I will be doing a lot of loader and grading work over the next few years and pull 5ft brush hog. Lots of rocks, but fairly flat property. Also plan to run 6ft RFM once my lawn is in (around 2 acres).

The PTO HP is about the same for both machines and should be more than enough for what I'm doing (always good to have more than enough).

The Kubota dealer has been around a long time, sells a lot of tractors, and seems like a well run company. The salesman has bent over backwards for me, especially on the valve issue. The L3400 is very basic, but seems like a solid machine that would do every thing I need.

The TC33DA is approx the same same size, weight, and HP, but has quite a few nice features. It is more like a Kubota L3130, with adjustable seat, tilt wheel, extendable rear links, mid PTO (probably never use), skid-steer quick release bucket, etc. It also has an edge on most specs like Hyd. flow, FEL capacity, and 3pt capacity, but not substantial difference. I also really like the curved hood and the curved arm loader looks well engineered with the cast ends and the skid steer disconnect. The dealer seems OK, but they focus more on commercial equipment than small tractors. The sales guy has been very good and I think he has put together a good deal for me. Another note: I have not been able to drive a 33DA with hydro because the dealer does not have one. I would be buying with the hope that I like the pedel location, etc.

I would pay the extra $1,600 for all the features on the NH without much thought if I was more comfortable with NH and the dealer I am working with. Kubota seems like the safe choice, the NH seems more risky. I see a lot more Kubotas and JD's in central Texas than NH's and I don't know anyone personally that has a NH I can talk with about reliability, service, etc.

I have read a handful of post that raise big concerns about how NH deals with their customers (warranty work and parts availability). I have not read too many posts about how NH has bent over backward for their customers. I'm not sure how well this site represents all the NH owners out there, but it is all I have to go on. The dealer is another issue that is harder to control, but I expect the manufacturer to make something right if I have a problem down the road.

Any additional information on these 2 machines/companies would be greatly appreciated.

/ L3400 vs. TC33DA - Buying tomorrow #2  
<font color="red">
I will be doing a lot of loader and grading work over the next few years and pull 5ft brush hog. Lots of rocks, but fairly flat property. Also plan to run 6ft RFM once my lawn is in (around 2 acres). </font>

To me both of those tasks SCREAM for the New Holland. The visibility on the NH is going to make the FEL work much easier and more efficient. I use both a NH and a Kubota, my NH is smaller, but I prefer it for FEL work because the loader is far easier to use.

The NH also would get the edge for mowing, in my mind. Bear in mind that the NH comes with a skid steer bucket so you can drop that alone to get into places easier. The whole loader comes off quickly also, and with it off, the sloped curved hood of the NH will give you much better visibility while working up close to trees, shrubs, etc.

This picture tell a lot: Front View over Hood

You also wrote that the TC has <font color="red"> adjustable seat, tilt wheel, extendable rear links. </font> Trust me, the suspension seat will make your back happy at the end of a long tractor session. Tilt wheel is no big deal to me, I can't remember tilting mine, the B2910 I use has that feature, the TC24 I use does not. But the extendable lower links are worth their weight in gold, and gold is heavy, just like heavy implements, and the heavier they are the harder they are to hook up. Those extendable lower links simplify the job substantially and limit the bloody knuckles, swear words, and general frustration that go along with trying to connect up a bush hog on traditional ball eyes.

<font color="red">
I would pay the extra $1,600 for all the features on the NH without much thought if I was more comfortable with NH and the dealer I am working with. Kubota seems like the safe choice, the NH seems more risky. I see a lot more Kubotas and JD's in central Texas than NH's and I don't know anyone personally that has a NH I can talk with about reliability, service, etc. </font>

Well that is tougher to address, Kubota is growing its market share numbers and in some areas is at 60% of the market based on dealer information I received. John Deere has about 20% of the compact tractor market and New Holland is #3 in the country with something under 15% of the total market. No question that Kubota is the king of the hill in sales, and the fact that they are growing is a testiment to their quality. But that said, the L3400 simply does not compare. Now if you want to compare a Grand L class Kubota, then I think the Kubota is probably going to be superior in many ways, but you are not comparing the Grand L series to the TC, and the TC is clearly the superior tractor in this line up. However, dealer comfort level is important. If you feel the dealer on one machine is vastly inferior to the other dealer, then I would seriously going with the quality dealer, regardless of brand. I simply won't buy from a crummy dealership.

/ L3400 vs. TC33DA - Buying tomorrow #3  
What exactly do you mean by installed the 3130 valve on the 3400. Thats not somthing I have heard of.

/ L3400 vs. TC33DA - Buying tomorrow
What exactly do you mean by installed the 3130 valve on the 3400. Thats not somthing I have heard of.

The 3pt on the L2800/L3400 is very jerky. There is a post on this in the Kubota owning/op section. It is pretty bad, but operating as designed per my Kubota dealer. In that post, somebody talks about having their 3pt control valve replaced with another and this fixed the problem. It sounded like this was done under warranty. My Kubota dealer offerred to replace the valve in the L3400 with the L3130 valve if I buy the L3400. I'm not sure if he is eating the cost or not, but I believe he talked with Kubota about the issue.

I decided to go with the TC33DA. Dealer is throwing in a toothbar and knocking off $350 for the price of the skid steer disconnect. I am going to sign paperwork at lunch today. Thanks for all the help from those on this board.

/ L3400 vs. TC33DA - Buying tomorrow #7  
I think you'll love your TC333DA. Good luck and post pics!!

It's a done deal. The NH dealer really wanted my business and I think I got a a good deal.

TC33DA Hydro
R4's
14LA
Skid Steer Disconnect HD Bucket
Toothbar
Canopy
Multi-seal in tires
Bush Hog SBX600 Box Blade

$19,367.50 out the door, including delivery

They were trying to get shipped from the factory today or it may be Monday. Either way, I should have it late next week or early the following week. The toothbar may not be in by then, but should be able to install myself no problem. I am already thinking of buckets hooks, work lights, trailer hitch, etc., but really just want to get out to my property and knock out some jobs I have been putting off.

/ L3400 vs. TC33DA - Buying tomorrow #9  
Now is the time to get a couple of remotes with that new purchase. You won't regret it.

/ L3400 vs. TC33DA - Buying tomorrow #10  
That is a nice deal. Tell the dealer you need a couple of hats too. Enjoy it and take lots of pictures.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif