CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is.

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #1  

cart99

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
After an incredible amount of time spent on research and comparison shopping, I finally committed and purchased a Kubota B3030 with FEL, toothbar, chain hook, HD alternator, work lights, filled R4s, brush cutter and back-blade from Neil Messick of Messick's in Elizabethtown PA. The fact that Neil was active on these boards was part of the decision to buy from him, and dealing with him in person only reinforced the positive first impression he made on me.

Additionally, the responses I got from my various posts on this board were a HUGE help in the process. I've learned everything I know about tractors in the last three weeks on this web site, which turned out to be more knowledge than even a few of the dealers I dealt with.

Anyway I thought it might be helpful for others to briefly describe each unit I tested and why I made my decision. Feel free to PM me with *any* questions!!

First, my needs. My primary needs are as follows:
1. brush cut approx. 8 acres of gently sloping pasture - far and away the thing I will do most with this tractor (I figured min. 22 PTO HP for 5ft. hog)
2. barn/horse keeping chores for 1-3 horses
3. snow plowing and maintenance of 175' gravel driveway
4. have fun
5. hydro, 4wd
6. not break the bank

In comparing models, I test drove or at least sat on:
Kubota B7800, B3030, L2800, L3400
New Holland TC30, TC33DA, TC33DA supersteer, CASE 33 something or other
John Deere 3320
Kioti CK30HST

Kioti CK30HST - This is lots of tractor and features for the money, good features, quiet/smoothness almost on par with John Deere, but I eliminated it for two reasons. First and foremost, the turning radius was the worst of anything I tested. This had alot to do with the size, but my priorities put manuverability over size. The second was concerns I had about getting support from dealers who were just starting to sell tractors, and perhaps were not as prepared to do so as they should've been. The price was outstanding, but the product was not for me, and the smaller Kiotis did not have the power I wanted/needed.

John Deere 3320 - Of everything I test drove, absolutely my favorite. Beautiful station layout, everything logical and well thought out, very nice overall design and great visibility with curved loader arms. I have a John Deere lawn tractor and push mower and love the engineering/design of their equipment. I also definitely prefer two pedal hydro setup versus single pedal. If it had only been cheaper (or if I had more money), I would've bought it in a heartbeat, but that is not to say it's not worth what they are charging for it. Perhaps a little more tractor than I needed, but definitely worth the money in my opinion.

New Holland TC30 - Apologies to any TC30 fans, but I didn't even drive it. I sat on it and immediately got a sense of how just plain OLD this tractor design is. Maybe it was the thin plastic steering wheel, but it made me feel like I was sitting in the Ford Pinto that got me (barely) through my last year of college. On paper it matches up pretty well on the B7800, and probably would've done everything I needed, but I doubt I'd ever smile while doing it.

New Holland TC33DA - Another fine machine and for what I wanted, it was the PERFECT size and robust capabilities. Small enough to be amazingly manuverable, yet big and heavy enough for some serious jobs. Fantastic visibility around the curved FEL arms. Nice station design, although the seat seemed maybe a little too high. I do prefer the loader joystick next to the seat versus Kubota's next to the steering wheel. Again, I felt like the price was right for what I would be getting, but bottom line is that I would've dropped the extra $1k to get the JD 3320 instead. And it's hard to ignore JD and Kubota's bulletproof reputation and resale value.

CASE 33?? - nearly identical tractor to the TC33DA, but I liked the red better than the blue and the headlight design seemed less controversial than the NH. All personal preference. If I decided the TC33, I would've bought the CASE version.

New Holland TC33DA Supersteer - The supersteer was definitely impressive and the auto-fwd appeals to me, but the turning radius was already so tight without it, that I did not feel the ss option was worth an extra $1k.

Kubota B7800 - lost my tractor virginity on my neighbor's B7800 bush hogging my field for the first time. Big enough for light/medium FEL work, small enough to be very nimble, and powerful enough to run a 5ft. bush hog, all at a great price and with Kubota reliability. (There may be times when I wish for a heavier tractor, but filling the rears should help, and I'll never have to worry about driving across the lawn, and I can trailer it easily). However, I did not like the fact that I had to keep tweaking the height of the brush-cutter, and although the hydro peddle was the same basic setup as all the other single-pedal versions I tried out, I liked it the least. The key difference on the B7800 is that only the ends of the pedals are above the floor, the middle part is under it. For doing alot of small forward/backward motions with the single peddle, I found it easier to put my foot in the middle of the pedal. This is something you can't do on the B7800. However, the price for the tractor was great, especially for a 30hp tractor and Kubota's reputation for reliability is stellar. I *almost* bought this tractor.

Kubota L3400 - O man, what a TANK! (and I mean that in a GOOD way) I still can't believe that such a heavy duty, big powerful orange machine sells for the low price these do, but yes you do give up alot of the "nice" features to get to that price. However, in the end I decided this was just way more tractor than I needed, and I'd get more out of having the features versus the capabilities. If I needed 3000 lbs. and 27HP at the PTO for as little money as possible, this would've been a no-brainer.

Kubota L2800 - with the price difference between this and the L3400, I'm not sure why you wouldn't buy the L3400.

Kubota B3030 - this is what I bought, and even though I wanted the JD, I really don't feel like I "settled" for the B3030. Most of the same comments about the B7800 apply to this with a couple differences. First, the hydro peddle is entirely above the floor, allowing you to put your foot in the middle if you are doing "little bit forward, little bit back" work. Other features that stood out over the B7800: 23 PTO HP (vs 22 on B7800), 3ph position control vs. 1/4" valving, sliding 3ph arms versus fixed, tilt-wheel, arm-rests, cup-holder, black on white gauges (just like my Contour SVT), folding ROPS (although this might be standard on B7800 now?), sloped hood/sloped loader (not nearly as much as the NH, but slightly better than the "boxy, but good" B7800), and last but not least, no clutch peddle. This last one is controversial. I agree that for post-hole digging, the B7800 would probably be better because it has a clutch, but on the flip side, my wife will have an easier time learning to drive it (not that I ever want her on it!!) and I like being able to stop the PTO without stopping the tractor. Anyway, if I need to dig post-holes my other neighbor will let me borrow his L series (or do it for me if I ask nicely).

Hope this helps someone else who is trying to make the same/similar decision. Bottom line is I bought what was best for me, and these are all good, solid machines.

Good Luck and see you in the Kubota Owning/Operating Forum!!!

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #2  
Thank you for the very well reasoned and written analysis. It is nice to see objective analysis. One thing I think you did very well was that you figured out what was best for your situation.

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #3  
Good choice, great post, congratulations.

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #4  
I believe Bob summed it up. Great objective analysis and the most important thing is you purchased the tractor that fits you Great job on your post. Good luck to you.

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #5  
I would like to see posts like this more often.
Very nicely done !!

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #6  
Nice post well done. Good luck with your new tractor.

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ... R4s, brush cutter and back-blade from Neil Messick of Messick's in Elizabethtown PA. The fact that Neil was active on these boards was part of the decision to buy from him, and dealing with him in person only reinforced the positive first impression he made on me. )</font>

isn't he one good lookin guy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #8  
<font color="blue"> ( ... R4s, brush cutter and back-blade from Neil Messick of Messick's in Elizabethtown PA. The fact that Neil was active on these boards was part of the decision to buy from him, and dealing with him in person only reinforced the positive first impression he made on me. )
</font> <font color="red">

isn't he one good lookin guy
</font>

Neil, that is pretty much as shameless of a bit of personal promotion as I have ever seen. I think I have to barf /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I suppose I too would buy from Neil but as I wear glasses I probably wouldn't be blinded by good looks!

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is.
Don't let him fool ya. In real life Neil is about 65, mostly bald with a beer gut that barely fits between the desk and the chair in which he obviously spends that vast majority of his day. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ CK30 3320 B7800 B3030 L3400 TC33DA TC30 winner is. #10  
Thank you for sharing your thoughtful analysis. I've no doubt you selected the best machine for your needs. Happy tractoring.