Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions #1  

BX1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 1500 and Bolens ST125
I posted this in the Kubota forum with more price specifics but I thought this was a good general question that could pertain to any brand. I just looked at a BX1500D today. The dealer states that the tractor was delivered to him on Nov. 03. Looks clean. It has obviously faded some but still looks good. Nice waxing might clear some of that up. The plastics do not appear to have suffered much UV damage. The thing started right up. Ran it for about 10 minutes. Mow deck seemed a bit noisy but that might just be the nature of the beast. I requested a complete fluid/filter change and lube if I take delivery. I wondered about moisture and corrosion after sitting and not running over the course of a year and a half. Should I not care that it has sat for so long? It has 4.5 hr.s What do ya'll think?

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions #2  
You're gonna have to get a cool sig before I answer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If the price was right and it wasn't leaking anywhere I'd consider it. I'd also run it as much as possible before buying.

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions #3  
I'd give it a thorough inspection and do what you and RedRocker have mentioned.
Many tractors sit outside their entire life (30-50+ years) and have no real problems from being exposed to the elements.

Is the dealer giving you a good deal on it?

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions #4  
BX1,

Be sure you consider one small detail... two identical tractors sitting on a lot... one is a 2004 model with 4.5 hours, the other is a 2005 model with 4.5 hours. Which one would be worth less? If you are buying the older one, be sure the deal you negotiate takes this depreciation into account although the tractor is new. Of course if you gonna keep it quite a few years then sell it, you'll never know the difference.

If the seat is vinyl and has been in the sun this whole time, you might pay special attention to that, or ask for a new one in the deal.

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions
Thanks for the information and suggestions everybody. I appreciate it. Are there any dealers here that would share a comment from their perspective?

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions #6  
I'm not a dealer.. but I own a few tractors. IMHO.. that's a 1.5 year old 'new' tractor. As long as you are getting a good price on it.. I'd go for it. Make a dollar per hp.. comparison with it on a new identical machine.. Since it is unused.. it will still be as new and strong with no wear on the wear items... so it's still an apples to apples comparison.

Soundguy

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions #7  
What kind of warrenty is he going to give you, full? like a new tractor? then go for it if the price is right. But use it extensivly to make sure all seals are sound.

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions #8  
I have to agree with frank f15.... my first question would be concern over the seals and then the warranty. If you are getting a new warranty, and the price is right.... I'd definately have a go at it. Let us know... and if it goes through... don't forget to post pictures... good luck!

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions #9  
Is that the model you are looking for or were "steered" towards this one? I would back up some and ask myself what I need. It is sitting this long for a reason..............................without sounding redundant, what do you need for a machine to get your jobs done?

I think that might be a better question

/ Tractor on dealer lot for 1 1/2 years. Opinions
The price is $9430 with AG tires, LA181FL FEL and 54" MMM. I was not steered toward this particular size tractor. The 1830 and 2230 are more than I need. Thanks to all who replied. Your experiences and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I apologize if I broke forum etiquette and posted about this particular tractor but I honestly think this experience fit a general category that could be applied to any tractor.