Need advice for a new Tractor:)

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #31  
I mow 2 arces with my craftmans tractor. I've had it for about 6 year's. No problems to report as of yet, other then a new battery. It's a 16.5 Kolher moter. I purchased for 1100,00. When I'm using my ck30 the wife is mowing the lawn, which gets the job done faster. Also puts the wife to work /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. My choice would be a small frame cut with either MMM or a pull behind mower; or the Craftsman lawn tractor. Save the money of the MMM.

Regards
Glen

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #32  
I find having the riding mower to pull a small trailer around the yard is quite an asset. While a tractor can be used for the loader work...moving compost, dirt..etc. Simultaneously the lawn mower and trailer transports plants, tools etc.

Don

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #33  
Don,
I agree it would be nice to have two machines if your property dictated but we are talking 2-3 acres and with that size property probably storage of the additional machine would be an issue it would be with me. I was not saying your idea was bad but I do not think in the posters instance it was the most prudent way to go. You are a very valuable member with very good insight, I was not attacking you, but rather just stating my opinion which happened to agree with Bob.

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:)
Storage room is an issue for us as well. The boss said no to tractors so one will have to do all the jobs listed.

On another point. I don't plan on buying tiller, PHD or seeder but I can get them for use when I need them at no/minimum charge from a local dealer. So the tractor would need to be able to handle those attachments.

KC
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don,
I agree it would be nice to have two machines if your property dictated but we are talking 2-3 acres and with that size property probably storage of the additional machine would be an issue it would be with me. I was not saying your idea was bad but I do not think in the posters instance it was the most prudent way to go. You are a very valuable member with very good insight, I was not attacking you, but rather just stating my opinion which happened to agree with Bob. )</font>

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #35  
Gee, we can all proselytize endlessly, but I think kcook has a pretty good handle on his own needs It sounds to me that his idea of a diesel tractor in addition to his existing push mowers sounds like a well thought out judicious decision by an erudite individual.

There must be a reason that lawn tractors have seen a precipitous drop in sales as of late. It seems that actual usefullness of a piece of equipment is now being weighed more heavily than how it looks. Lawn tractors were spawned by the desires of people needing a lawn mower, but wanting the looks of a tractor. The majority of people now are becoming more interested in productive capability than looks.

Consumers now are more often buying the tool to fit their needs, an actual mowing machine; i.e. a ZTR, for mowing rather than a miniature version of a tractor that really excels at nothing. The basic lawn tractor is too small and weak to do any heavy work, doesn't have a PTO, doesn't have a 3 pt. hitch, and yet it is poorly designed to meet the needs of mowing because the manufacturers try to look like a tractor so it will sell. The venerable lawn tractor is in that gap where it isn't a tractor, and it isn't designed to be a proficient mowing machine. Sorry, but who is kidding who here? They still will sell, but I believe their sales numbers will continue to drop as consumers buy for their needs, rather than for looks.
So, based on actual needs, kcook seems to be certainly on the right track in my opinion.

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #36  
kcook,
Sorry your post got off topic, good luck with your purchase I'm sure your going to enjoy your machine whichever one you choose, try all brands and pick the one you like the best with a dealer you feel comfortable with. We do a great job of spending others money. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #37  
<font color="blue">You are a very valuable member with very good insight, </font>

Thanks Crown....your thoughts are appreciated.

I see Brent/Dargo has posted....I feel a closed thread coming on. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Wouldn't it be interesting if we had to limit the verbosity to 100 words or less per post to save on bandwidth (the bandwidth that's graciously provided to us free of charge). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good luck kcook with the tractor buying process......

Don

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #38  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I see Brent/Dargo has posted....I feel a closed thread coming on. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )</font>

For commenting that the original poster seems to have a good grasp on what he needs?! I can't imagine what has ruffled your feathers. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll just dismiss your post as you not grabbing your dictionary to understand what is written. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've never seen a thread closed for complimenting a person.

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:) #39  
I bought the Huskie 25HP riding mower (TSC) 2 weeks before the DK for the light mowing but more important to keep the wife involved in the outside "chores". She loves it and it keeps me in the "BIG SEAT". Gotta love it, it was worth the extra $2000..........LOL /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Need advice for a new Tractor:)
Guys there is not enough money for two tractor or the storage space for two so I will be getting one to do it all. I will still have a small hand mower but no other riding tractor.

I do like all the advice. Any other comments or suggestions.

Thanks

KC