Largest HP for lawn and 40 acres?

/ Largest HP for lawn and 40 acres?
OrangeGuy

At least snow won't be on my "to do list" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, I want to make sure I get the lawn "taken care of".

For the first month or so I was "trying" to use my pushmower on the land, and honestly, it was getting both tiring and depressing.

Since my other home should now sell, I will have some extra capital and less debt, which is making me look "hard" at what I want to spend some money on.

I appreciate all your feedback.

Now I'll just have to ask the wife /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Largest HP for lawn and 40 acres? #12  
I agree with others with getting a lawnmower or compact with MMM. Can do some gardening with the compact swings a vote over the ZTR though. All that said, I think one TBNer mows lawn with a DK45 though.
It seems from your bio you're still working. so when it comes to the other 35a (assuming pasture), I'd go bigger than 40-50hp.that would only give 6-8ft cut and eat up your spare time. I'd lean toward 80-100 with 15' cutter. I have 50hp and it's really just not quite enough. A JD4020 (or similar in other colors) is almost as nimble and can get a lot more done. A farm is ridiculously time consuming. My personal insight.

/ Largest HP for lawn and 40 acres? #13  
With that much land.. i think I'd get a tractor that could haul a minimum.. 10' mower.. preferably a 12' or 15'.. depending on how much is grassed / how often you want to mow / how long you want to mow each 'session'.

I have only 13 ac and use a 90hp tractor and 10' mower.. It's about a 3 hr job by the time I grease, and fuel and mow.. I like it like that. Overkill? yes.. still like it though..

Id think you'd want to be in that range too.. 75hp and up..

and have a good riding lawnmower for a couple ac around the house..

Other option is to buy a good 3x hp tractor with mmm and then get a used large ag tractor with cheap 10' mower or used 12/15' mower... ( ag tractors usually don't hold value and go cheap... you can pick up ford 7/8xxx case 1xxx etc.. around here for 4000 or so. Big MF and also ford tw series tractors in the 6000-8000 and something with a mower for under 10k$

Soundguy