General Forum Posting Guidelines

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #11  
It is only my take, but I think TBN does lose a bit when dozens of long time veterns of TBN no longer post, answer questions, or offer advice based upon their experience. If they happen to not plug someone's favorite tractor for whatever reason, they are subject to a bunch of nonsense and inflamatory attacks by several people who happen to live and die by a particular brand. Rather than engauge in an absurd debate, it is simply easier for them to not offer their expertise. I think that is when TBN loses. I'm sure that all of these veterens are quite capable of backing up their point, their facts, or advice, but if it becomes no fun and an annoyance, why would they bother to post?

For what it's worth, here is my analogy. If I go to a restaurant and I have to argue with the waiter about what I want to order, it's honestly not going to take long before I just pick a different restaurant. I'm open to hear the waiter's suggestions, but I'll be darned if I'm going to go there if I have to argue with him every time I order. I really don't care if he likes fried spam in a creamy reduction sauce with pepper jack cheese on top. I don't want it. He can eat it all he wants, that's great and I'm happy he likes it, but I don't want him to expect me to eat it.

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #12  
I migrated here from a community that is experiencing the same sort of difficulties. I participated for about 3 yrs. It got to a point that I no longer felt like "my compadres" and I were of the the same mind set. This troubled me!!!

I have learned that an open forum has to expect that there will be comments made that are considered counter productive.

I, and I repeat I...have come to the conclusion that if we are going to promote open discussion... about anything!!! ....we have to accept that there will be posts that APPEAR to not understand what it is that TBN considers Ideal.

Interpretation has sooo much to do with this. Society as a whole is experiencing a new "what is acceptable" issue.

so long as no one disparages or enflames "without regard" for others...I can, for the most part live with it.

It's really all about respect for one another!!!

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #14  
I want to follow this up!!!

I have come to feel that TBN and CBN are about the best thing since sliced bread!!!

No...I don't always agree with what's said, but....I can tell you that I have found (what I believe) the most informational, educational and personable websites around!!!!

My favorites column has been reduced to about 5 places and TBN & CBN are two of them.

You folks work awefully hard on this and it shows.

I'd hate to think I have to go somewhere else.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #15  
John; Very well put, I agree with everything you posted. Hopefully others will do the same. I wonder if a little more liberal, and I usually don't use that word, use of the smilies and an inflection of humour would help. I, myself, try to do that whenever I post to a thread that could be contraversial. Some times I suceed, sometimes my humour is lost. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #16  
Brent,
That is a very good analogy. It sums up a lot that is going on.

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #17  
Thank you Muhammad&Co. for working so hard to make this a place worth coming to.

Thank yoiu to all the folks who have taken the time to provide insight and fun to the rest of us.

The point has been made that this is a public forum. That is somewhat true. What is posted is up for anyone to read and to make their own judgement of its merit.

But in a larger sense we are guests in Muhammad's 'house'. He has laid the groundrules for what he feels are reasonable behavior at his place. Let's show respect to our host.

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #18  
As a newbie to this forum I am interested in other's opinions and found some of those opinions very helpful. My wife claims I am addicted to this forum.

I have a concern directed at all the older members. Be careful in your arguements with each other as future members are watching. As with all forums, this one requires new blood to keep it alive. Without new blood you/we will have the same members with the same thoughts posting the same threads. New and potential members will see the fighting and simply move on. The forum will become stagnant. I'm not meaning to flame anyone. I just don't want to see the discussion die. As a rule, things ignored usually fade away. Responses to bad threads tend to create more bad threads.

Just my opinion.

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #19  
You are right on JD3520. There is absolutely a risk of stagnating. There is too much fear of disagreement.

I've said this before and been smacked down hard for saying it but... people with 1000+ posts seem to be given more credence and their advice taken more seriously....because they post computer messages a lot?? It doesn't make sense. I have either been reading or a member of this site since 2001, but I only post if (1) I have something useful to say or (2) something different to say. Therefore, I have a low post count. (not a lot useful to say I guess)

Many people have 1000+ posts just because they chime in on every topic or post just to say 'right on'.

If I am reading advice I usually pay particular attention to the poster who has come from nowhere that I do not recognize. He often times is the person with the true credentials, not necessarily the post count.

/ General Forum Posting Guidelines #20  
TBN is all about discussing, and politely disagreeing at times, about all things tractor related. A web site doesn't get over 800,000 posts and 24,000 members by most people simply saying 'right on'.

I agree that number of posts, whether large or small, is not an indicator of experience or value of advice. However, posting a lot is not a vice and posting a little is not a virtue. Everyone's posts stand or fall on their own merit. Even new people can determine if someone has provided the facts to support what they post or mention personal experiences to go with their opinion. They can also determine when someone is simply trying to start a fight, which most TBNers simply ignore or notify a Moderator. Perhaps you get 'smacked down' because others simply disagree with you or are looking for evidence that people with a lot of posts are given more 'credence'. I've been a member since 2001 and can not recall seeing a thread where someone with a lot of posts is given more credence than someone with a few. I am not even sure how this would happen.

What makes TBN great are the members. Members who are willing to share their experiences, whether they have many or few. Members who are here to learn, here to teach and here to help others learn from their successes as well as their failures. With very, very few exceptions, TBNers are polite, knowledgeable people who come here to learn and stay around to teach.