PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #1  

gooberjkf

I've read all that I can stand to read, but I still can't decide which of these three units I should buy. I have 6 acres of gentle rolling land, located on my inlaws 58 acre farm. 90% of the tractor will be used for mowing. I'll mow 4-5 acres reguarly, i.e. 2 times each week and I want to mow fast because I would rather spend my time riding my motorcycle or playing with my 5 year old.

I also need something to clear snow from a 600 ft paved drive. In addition, I want something that has the abilitiy to do some limited bush hogging on my inlaws land when needed, which consists primarily of tall thick grass and thistles.

Beyond that, I need some loader use for moving mulch, some dirt, brush and stone in order to aide in landscaping my new house that is being constructed on this 6 acre plat.

I'm concerned that the PT is not a very capable mower. From all that I've read, it seems that it can't touch the Ventrac in mowing. Further, I've read a number of reports of problems with the mower wheels and the requirement of lubing every 8 hours which seems to be completely ridiculous. I've also read that many don't like the stock front/rear wheels on the PT mower. Further, the 425 will only accept a 48" bush hog which I think is quite small for bush hogging open fields.

I like the idea of the PT, with the exception of the lack of a dealer network for servicing. I also like the price much better than the Ventrac, but I'm still leaning that direction.

Your thoughts?

Joel

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #2  
Just a couple of points:

1. You can order an upgrade to the wheels for the rough-cut mower that eliminates the problems you've read about... plus, I think you can now upgrade the ones on the finish mowers also.

2. To drive a 5-foot rough-cut mower, you'd need something in the 30HP class... does Ventrac make a machine that size?

3. The requirement for lubing some attachments is pretty common -- if you read the instructions for many of them, they'll tell you to grease them before each use...

4. I've only seen the Ventrac demonstrations -- never driven one personally -- but IMO, the PTs are a much more capable loader, and a more versatile machine overall.

Just some thoughts from a pretty new PT owner...

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #3  
Joel:
4-5 acres twice a week will get old in a hurry with any mower. Twice a week is formal lawn/golf course frequency. I'm down to less than once a week even in a wet summer. If you're really going to do it that often, you need an Exmark ZTR and a PT 425 for everything else.
If it's smooth, and you cut that often, a 1430 can probably handle a 72" finish deck and do a good job. It will also handle the brush hog and snow chores, and will outdo nearly anything in its horsepower class for bucket work. I'd go with the 1430 (and cut less often) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #4  
I only have a 422 with a 4' mower...I cut almost as much as you and it takes me 2.5 hours...start(lube, etc) to finish(clean underside of mower and park the PT). I have several hills that are so steep I can mow part of them downhill only which requires more time than normal mowing.....so if your land is fairly flat you'll be spending pretty close to my mowing time each time you cut...so a faster ZTR would be ideal....but you'll lose the versatility of the PT and with the landscaping I've done(along with many other FEL "projects") I'll trade off that possible hour saved for the versatility every time!....and, mowing twice a week seems to be a lot of cutting, you're grass must grow fast!

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #5  
<font color="blue"> (1. You can order an upgrade to the wheels for the rough-cut mower that eliminates the problems you've read about... plus, I think you can now upgrade the ones on the finish mowers also.) </font>

Are you talking about something from PT for the fronts or the rears? How about some details, please? Inquiring minds and all that....

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #6  
You know for my 422 pt I do mow with it and it does an ok job. I almost consider it demeaning for the PT to do the finish mowing. It takes a large percentage of the machines hours for this job. As much as I depend on the 422 for other jobs I would hate to ware it out mowing. There are many cheaper machines that can mow and do a good job but not that many that will do all the other things that I require of the PT.

Things such as Splitting wood, moving dirt, rock moss, grass, etc., Raking weeds out of the ponds, Bushing hogging, lifting moving things, digging holes and post holes, removing stumps, digging trenches, spearing poison oak vines off of trees, moving round hay bales, and moving and backing trailers. I am sure I have left several things out. So if all you really have to do is mow, forget the PT!!! All the other things and for a good price (DO THE PT).
O yes if you do do the pt. The 425 will most likely be your best bet. Even the 422 would work fine in your case.

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #7  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="blue"> (1. You can order an upgrade to the wheels for the rough-cut mower that eliminates the problems you've read about... plus, I think you can now upgrade the ones on the finish mowers also.) </font>

Are you talking about something from PT for the fronts or the rears? How about some details, please? Inquiring minds and all that....
)</font>

It's been mentioned on here a few times that PT now offers a different "front wheel" that doesn't break the rim seal so quickly... costs $30 more, or something like that.

They don't offer an upgrade for the small rear wheels that I recall...

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #8  
I've looked at the Ventracs, they are nicely built machines. They do seem to have a better reputation as finish mowers that do the Power Tracs, but the PTs aren't really bad. I doubt the Ventracs are as rugged as the PTs, but I prefer the Ventrac controls over the Power Trac controls. Without any other information, I would guess the PT is much better at loader work.

We have a PT-425 with 48" finish and brush mowers. The only reason we have the 48" finish mower instead of the 60" is the row width constraint imposed by our trees. Actually, that's the only reason we have the PT-425 instead of a PT-1430.

The PT mowers have a couple of irritating problems:

1. The front wheels are one piece with tubeless tires. The tires like to roll off of the rim. I replaced ours with aftermarket split rims with tubes. No problems since.

2. The rear wheels are hard plastic and they "adjust" by unbolting them and moving them to a different hole. If you are always going to mow at the same height, it's a non problem. If you need to change the mowing height, it's a royal pain.

For finish mowing, the mower in front setup is ideal. For rough mowing it is less than ideal. Tall grass wraps itself around the front axles and jams the front wheels so that they don't turn properly. At least, that it what happens with the PT-425's rough cut mower. Also, brush can snag the lynch pins on the front wheels and pop them out. You can replace them with bolts to prevent this.

I also have a 35 HP conventional tractor with a 6' bush hog. I find bush hogging with the rear mounted mower to be superior to running one on the front.

From the description of how much and how often you intend to mow, I would have to say you will be burning a lot of gas if you buy a PT-425. That's a lot of jerry jugging of gasoline. With a diesel PT-1430 (or Ventrac), you could probably install a tank and get fuel delivered directly to your place.

My call, get the biggest diesel powered machine you can afford, with the widest finish mower it will handle. Ventrac or Power Trac? Without doing a price comparison of comparably equipped machines, not to mention not knowing your tolerance for added costs, I think it's too tough to call.

Edits:

Despite being on Snow Ridge (hence the name /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif), we hardly ever get any snow, so I can't really comment on snow removal with the PT.

The reason the PT-425 will only accept a 48" bush hog is available power, I'm sure. A 25 HP gas burner will a fully hydraulic drive and hydraulic PTO is pretty well maxed out running a 48" rough cut mower.

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #9  
Welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Use the search function here on TBN and search for ventrac. Bob S. did some excellent write ups on the Ventracs and why he went with one over a PT. For mowing, they appear to be superior to the PT. Put it this way...

The Ventrac appears to be a great mower that can also do other utility tasks while the Power Trac appears to be a great utility platform that also does acceptable mowing.

We currently live on one acre of flat land that is mostly grass. The 60" PT mower does an excellent job for us. We also own 20 acres that we plan to build on some day. We will have even less lawn out there if I have anything to say about it. It takes about 20 minutes to mow the one acre if I go really fast and beat the tractor, which I do not like to do. If I take my time, it takes about a half an hour. So my guess is 4-5 acres will take you 3-4 hours. Twice a week = 6-8 hours. If you want to spend less time mowing, the PT400 series is not the machine you want. I don't think the Ventrac will do it much faster. You should either look at a dedicated mowing machine like a ZTR or a larger tractor that can handle a bigger mowing deck or decks.

One other thing to consider is towing a self powered wing mower offset behind the PT or Ventrac to get a large cutting swath. Could cut your mowing time almost in half.

As for the brush hog, I've had great success with the front mounted design. I like it better than the rear mounted 5' brush hog on our 50PTO HP conventional tractor. Just the opposite of SnowRidge. That's why you need to test drive both types! Sorry for the shouting /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. But seriously, you have to get in the saddle and ride. Find the one that suites you and your needs best. Use us for general thoughts and recommendations, but use your own experiences for the final decision. After all, you are the one that has to live with the purchase. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For the paved driveway, the snow blade works great on ours. I don't have a rubber lip on it and haven't had any marking problems, but you may want that added protection for you asphalt. Being able to stack snow 6' high with a little 25HP tractor is lots of fun. I feel the front mounted design is superior for snow removal, for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good luck in your search. Keep us up to date in your thought process. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ PT 425, PT 1430 or Ventrac 4200 #10  
As far as I know, I am probably one of the few, (perhaps the only) person on here that has owned a Ventrac 4200 AND a PT 425. I will try to answer your questions from my experiences. Just an FYI, I had the Ventrac 4200 31hp tractor, slip scoop, 60” deck and duals. I own 5 acres of which I mow 3 acres of grass. I live in Lancaster County, PA, which is hilly with lots of slopes to cut on.

“90% of the tractor will be used for mowing. I'll mow 4-5 acres regularly, i.e. 2 times each week and I want to mow fast.”

Neither tractor will “mow fast” if that is what you want to do. The Ventrac will cut a little better, but I am VERY pleased with the PT cut. One thing that I found when mowing faster was that the Ventrac’s weight distribution system would “float” the deck over dips in the yard causing high grass spots when you go fast. The PT actually does not do this. If you really want to mow fast, buy the PT and take the extra $5k+ that you will save and buy a dedicated ZT mower. It will store in about the same space as your 60” or 72” deck and cut MUCH faster than either the PT or Ventrac. Then you will also have the PT for the FEL work which the Ventrac cannot touch the PTs versatility.

”I also need something to clear snow from a 600 ft paved drive. In addition, I want something that has the ability to do some limited bush hogging on my in-laws land when needed, which consists primarily of tall thick grass and thistles.”

Both tractors will plow the drive; although the PT will do it better with greater pushing force. Plus I like the way that the PT’s hydraulic blade works better. As far as bush hogging, I don’t know that one tractor has an advantage over the other except if you are mowing on VERY steep slopes. There, the dual wheels on the VT help with stability. One thing that I found with my PT that I liked better with the Ventrac is the ability to mow up steeper hills with the PTO running. If you find yourself mowing up a 20+ degree slope with a PT, you will have to really slow down or it will bog. With the Ventrac, you can go a little faster as it will climb the hill better with the mower deck running.

”Beyond that, I need some loader use for moving mulch, some dirt, brush and stone in order to aid in landscaping my new house that is being constructed on this 6-acre plat.”

Although the Ventrac does have a FEL, it is no match for the PT, plus you will spend a nice piece of change to get it. Add that to the higher cost of an already more expensive machine and you are spending a lot more money than you need to. The PT’s attachments are generally built stronger and cost less. The VT does not have the lifting force of the 425, and unless you buy the FEL, you have to settle for the 12” of lift with the slip scoop. I found that I use the FEL attachments on my PT MUCH more than I ever thought I would. It’s kind of like you never knew you could do all of that stuff until you actually had the equipment to do it with.

”I'm concerned that the PT is not a very capable mower. From all that I've read, it seems that it can't touch the Ventrac in mowing.”

IMHO, the PT mows 95% as well as my Ventrac did. This is from a guy who owned both. I had a Ventrac 400 for 3 years, then a 4200 after that, so I did a lot of grass cutting with their tractors. One thing the VT does better than the PT is mow on steeper slopes. The weight distribution system helps with traction and the duals help with anti rollover stability.

“Further, I've read a number of reports of problems with the mower wheels and the requirement of lubing every 8 hours, which seems to be completely ridiculous.”

Many implements that you buy require frequent lubrication. I think you just hear the guys on here talk about it more because they really take care of their machines. Since frequenting TBN, I must admit that I lube more often than I used to, (boy that sounded bad!!) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

“I've also read that many don't like the stock front/rear wheels on the PT mower.”

You are right. That is why I replaced the rear wheels with a $9.95 set from Tractor Supply Company. They also allowed me to get the deck lower. As for the front, I called Terry at PT and requested the new solid rubber wheels, and have not had a problem since. Just request those when you order your PT. One thing I really liked better with the VT is the way you set the deck cut height. It’s a single lever that takes about 15 seconds. With PT, you must unbolt the wheels and re-bolt to set the rear height. On the front, you pull a pin and adjust some spacers. My Massey deck was like that.

Let me try to point out some strengths of each.

(PT - PT-425, VT - Ventrac 4200)

PT(9), VT(10) - Grass cutting
PT(8), VT(10) - Working on slopes
PT(9), VT(8) - Heavy duty construction
PT(9), VT(9) - Simplicity
PT(9), VT(8) - Maneuverability
PT(9), VT(8) - Easy to repair
PT(8), VT(7) - Reliability
PT(6), VT(7) - Features
PT(8), VT(7) - Easy to drive
PT(9), VT(5) - Versatility
PT(9), VT(5) - Cost
PT(2), VT(8) - Dealer support

Don’t get me wrong, the VT is a very nice machine, Jack, who frequents this forum could probably highlight some more of the strengths of what it can do as he has owned articulating tractors for some time now. I moved to the PT because I needed to cut 3 acres and do a bit of FEL work. Little did I know how much of that FEL work I would do until I actually had one around all the time, wow! It was the right decision for me.

Also, check out MossRoad's site, (click on his tractor icon) as he has some pretty good videos of the 425 with a bush hog.

Finally, if you are really going to cut that much, you may want to consider a diesel machine. Maybe the 1430, or the 31 HP Turbo Diesel from VT. The VT will be more money, but it more compact too.