prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #1  

geish

Comparing tractors of the same caliber, which of the above companies would have the lowest price.

I've been searching around, and been hearing that Kioti tractors are sturdy. I'm thinking they're cheaper also.

I'm just trying to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #2  
Be sure to compare apples to apples. I have found that for the same thing, the order is JD, Kubota, and then Kioti from highest to lowest price. All are great tractors with Kioti having the smallest, though very adequate, dealer availability.

I'm shopping for a Kioti DK40 as we speak.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #3  
It's very, very rare to ever find a Kubota or JD at a lower price than a Kioti on similar/comparable machines. Your needs should help determine your choice.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #4  
You've asked a loaded question and will undoubtedly get many opinions. I do however feel it is safe to say the feature to feature, size to size the Kioti will be cheaper. For instance I was leaning strongly toward a Kubota L3400 which is a great tractor for the price range. I heard about the Kioti's and went to check them out. I was impressed with the build and quality and it "out featured" the 3400 for the same money or a bit less. I ended up buying a DK35 Kioti. It is probably more comparable to the more expensive grand L 3130 or 3430 (gear models) in the features it has and actually has a couple more that those do not. If you are a fan of HST only the 30HP and below Kioti models have it. I understand that the DK35 and 40 will come out with it later this year. Anyway, if you want HST in larger HP then you can rule out Kioti for now. There is no question the JD and Kubota make some great machines that I would be happy to have, but in basic response to your question I think that in an apples to apples comparison Kioti would be cheaper. By the way, mine has been a great tractor and I have no regrets. Also, prices vary to pretty large degrees around the country. Neal

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #5  
Generally speaking, Kioti will be the least expensive. However, pricing may be different in your local area. Some TBNers have personally experienced situations where either JD or Kubota was the least expensive. It all depends on how much competition there is, how bad the dealer wants to sell, etc.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #6  
Yes, apples to apples. I compared the Kubota 5030HSTC (Kioti does not even have a hydro in this size) to the 50hp Kioti last year. I found that the weights were basically identical (not what you'd be lead to believe), the Kubota had more power, a stronger loader, a nicer cab, and a lower price. That was in addition to the Kubota dealer being required to stock nearly every commonly used part and to also have their technicians trained by Kubota. The Kioti dealer was nice enough, but his price was higher, he basically stocked no parts, he stocked about 4 or 5 Kioti tractors, and had no mechanics Kioti trained.

Pricing is very regional, but make sure that you do compare apples to apples. Kioti is a pretty decent looking relatively new company here in the states, and relatively new overall when compared to Kubota. For some reason Kioti does not have near the requirements as Kubota for their dealers, so you will certainly see a much larger variety of sizes in Kioti dealers. The largest I've personally seen stocked about a half a dozen models. I assume that is why you generally see posts that people just "ordered" their new Kioti. Their dealers are not required to stock near the number of tractors or parts as Kubota. Be it fair or not, there is a rather large disparity in resale values of the tractors as well. For me, there was considerably more bang for my buck with Kubota over Kioti.

I was actually able to get a JD priced within a few hundred dollars of the Kioti model when I was shopping. Again, to compare "apples to apples", they don't compare. You cannot compare the company history, the dealer network, the dealer trained technicians, or the parts inventory required to be stocked.

If you opt to not weigh the above mentioned factors, I'd recommend that you go look at a Tractor King at Rural King. You will get more hp and weight for the dollar, and there is less of a chance that the Rural King store will close shop and be gone next week. I'm not blaming the Kioti tractor, but two of the three Kioti dealers in my area have closed and the last one is now selling more Branson tractors than Kioti. The Branson tractors weigh more and cost less. You can also get the Cummins engine in the Branson tractors. Also, you can get a heck of a deal on a Jinma tractor. There are lots of guys on here why say that they would put their Jinma tractors up against any other tractor.

Really, make sure that you do shop apples to apples. It does cost, and most people think it is worth something, to have factory trained technicians and dealers that have a good supply of tractors on hand and are required to stock most parts that are needed on a regular basis. These are the items that I discovered when I was under the impression that I could buy "the same thing" for less money. In general, I've found that nothing in life is free. If you really do get more for less money, it would seem that Kubota would not have over 60% of the compact tractor market in the U.S. If you take John Deere and Case New Holland into the formula, I just don't see where over 90% of the tractor buying public can be making such foolish decisions.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti
What are the advantages to having 4wd vs 2wd?

The land we have is pretty flat and we're using the tractor for mowing only. Do ya'll think I need a 4WD?
I'm thinking no, am I right?

Can someone also explain to me what PTO is and how is it related to horsepower?

Sorry to be of so much trouble; just a newbie at all this. Thank God for this site.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #8  
For mowing flat property, 4wd offers limited help. For ground engaging work, 4wd is going to be a big benifit. Some tasks are well suited to 4wd. Some terrain is well suited to 4wd. For mowing you can do without it.

PTO HP is the available horsepower that can power your mower deck or other PTO powered implement. The PTO HP will be lower than the engine HP. The engine HP is often quoted as gross HP, which is typically the engine only, without alternator or other drag on the engine. The PTO power is available after the drag is added to the engine and after the transmission subtracts a bit of power too.

You may want to take a look at this thread: HP quesiton thread

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #9  
geish, I've had both hydro and regular gear transmissions. I have no preference. If you have a bad knee, are just learning to drive a tractor, do mostly loader work or mowing, perhaps (only perhaps) the hydro may be better.

You are right, it is sort of like an automatic transmission of sorts on a tractor. If you don't mind shifting, I'd save the money and get you a gear tractor.

Your other question on 4wd vs 2wd; I know you said that you have relatively flat land, but do you plan on doing any loader work? If you have relatively flat land and do not plan on using a loader, I'd say a 2wd would be fine for you. A 4wd tractor really helps if you use a loader. Good luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #10  
Hello Geish, You heard correctly about Kiotis quality. I shopped the same brands as you and found Kioti to be around 3 -4 thousand less for similar tasked machines here in Upstate NY. My dealership sells about 80+ tractors a year and is rapidly growing.He also has 4 factory trained techs. So id you find a good dealership, go for it. The new Ck and DK units are very impressive and resale wont be a problem as they are becoming very popular models . Your other tractor choices are fine as well, get as many prices as you can on these tractors and weigh there prices with the dealership quality and youll find what your looking for.. Good luck