Cub Cadet 7254

/ Cub Cadet 7254 #1  

beck22

I have been lurking here for a while, trying to get a feel on different types of tractors from peope who actually use them.

I own a little over 10 acres in Minnesota and raise about 7 steers every year. I have owned used tractors in the past, but with new kids, work, etc. I am a little tired of working on them. So I set my mind on buying a brand new tractor.

The primary use of the CUT will be to mow my 2.5 acres of lawn. I also want a FEL to occasionally scrape manure, haul hay, etc. I already own a 72" Woods Brush Bull that is only few years old. It weighs 702 lbs, and I need a CUT that will run it.

I have been looking at all of the brands offered by dealers in the area: Kubota, JD, NH, Case-IH, and Cub Cadet. I've priced out the tractors they sell to fit my needs, and the prices are a little high for me to afford right now. I was planning to wait 2 summers, and hopefully have the funds by then to purchase whatever was the nicest tractor and best deal at that time.

I plan on owning the tractor til it dies or I do, whichever comes first.

Anyways, long story longer, at the county fair this week there is a new Cub Cadet 7254 with the "Blowout Price" of $9999. That price includes a new FEL. The tractor has a 25 HP Gas Kawasaki. The salesman will also throw in a new 60" belly mower for $900.

I looked up the specs on the tractor, and it should run my 72" rotary cutter. My question is, does this sound like a good deal? I know that the tractor model is being discontinued, but I havn't heard any bad things about this model from anyone, or anywhere on this board.

If I can get the guy to sell the whole works to me for between $10k to $10,500, should I do it? I can afford that price, but not much more.

Is there another new CUT with an FEL and 60" belly mower that sells for anywhere near $11,000 that also has enough horses and 3-pt. hitch lifting capacity for my existing rotary cutter? I havn't found it yet, maybe you guys have some models that I have passed over or not thought of that would fit my price range.

Any answers are appreciated. Thanks for the time. I appreciate the information you guys offer here.

/ Cub Cadet 7254
I should also mention that the original price of the Cub Cadet 7254 with FEL was about $13,150. They are willing to sell it for $9999. Heck, maybe that isn't even that great of a deal. I'm not sure, i've never bought a new tractor before.

Thanks again for any information.

/ Cub Cadet 7254 #3  
I don't have any experience with the tractor, but reading the specifications at 7254 Slick Sheet makes me think it isn't going to work for you. The 7254 is listed at 20 PTO HP, Woods says the BB72 requires a minimum of 30 PTO HP. If its anything like my BB720 take that as an absolute minimum. Another big factor to consider is weight, the BB72 weighs almost half as much as the tractor. Considering the geometry I doubt the tractor would be able to lift the load, even if it did the front wheels are going to be in the air.

I think your going to need at least a 35hp CUT to use the BB72 on anything other than very spares weeds. Do you actually need to use the BB72, if you've already knocked the brush down maybe the belly mower could handle the regular mowing? Or consider buying an inexpensive light duty 4' or 5' cutter.

/ Cub Cadet 7254 #4  
I was at the tractor auction last month. There were a number of low hours CubCadet 7xxx seies tractors. By low hours, I mean less than 50. I don't remeber what they paid folks to haul them off, but it was scary...

I am afraid that you would have wished that you'd have held out for something more suitable, and the resale would be worse than you'd hope...

Just my opinion...

/ Cub Cadet 7254
Dk45 Jeff-

That is a great point. My old tractor had about the same HP as a 7254, but it was made entirely of steel and easily handled the 72" cutter.

I would certainly trade in my 72" Brush Bull for a smaller model if I knew that the deal I was getting on the tractor and FEL was a real good one. I only use the Brush Bull a few times a year to knock down any weeds on my 8 acres of pasture, so a smaller model would work fine.

/ Cub Cadet 7254 #6  
Yeah, there is just no way you can use that 6ft Woods mower with at 25hp CUT...much less a 25hp gas powered CUT. I too would want something at least 35hp, diesel, 4wd to pull that 6ft mower. I just don't think you would be happy with that machine, and I sell Cubs so this is not a biased opinion....just telling you that I would not buy that tractor if I were in your shoes.

/ Cub Cadet 7254 #7  
The thing that would cause me to pause is that the dealer is willing to knock almost 25% off the price without breathing hard. Is he a good dealer? Purchase in haste, repent in leisure.

/ Cub Cadet 7254
Everyone-

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm glad I asked, it sounds like I would have to get a different rotary cutter if I wanted to buy the 7254. And if I do that, I might as well look at all of the smaller HP CUTs and maybe find a better model for even less than $11,000.

Or maybe just hold out a few more years, like the original plan, and get something bigger that I know will be able to accomplish everything I want to do. I've heard about those CUT's with FELs that are compatible with Bobcat attachments. There is a place in town that rents nearly every Bobcat attachment. That would really be nice.

gamble77-

If you don't feel comfortable answering, I understand. But in your opinion, was $11,000 for a new 7254 with a loader and belly mower a deal, or is that a typical price you might pay anywhere?

/ Cub Cadet 7254 #9  
Don't know honestly. We never carried those machines and it is not a 04 or 05 model that I know of. Guess it was an 02 or 03 thats why it "must go". Anyway, I would not buy a tractor with a gas motor, and I won't carry anything with a three point hitch with a gas motor. Just wait until you can spend the $ on a new diesel powered unit, you will thank yourself later.

/ Cub Cadet 7254 #10  
Having just emerged from my first tractor search I'll offer my observations:

Everything I've heard says don't get a gas tractor -- a 20 HP diesel is a lot stronger than a 20 HP gas.

Consider some of the 2nd tier brands. FarmTrac, Branson, Mahindra, etc. They are substantially cheaper and lots of folks in here are happy with them. The one thing I see here a lot is "check out the dealer" -- will he stand by it and will he be here next year.

Just a thought.