Comparison compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #1  

Ripley

We have 12 acres of land. We currently have a 12 year old Ingersoll garden tractor with many attachments but it isn't substantial enough to do the work we want to do on about four acres of brush.

We plan to keep the garden tractor for the snow blower, chipper/shredder, roto tiller and mower deck. We need a tractor with a front loader and brush hog in order to clean up four acres that are flat. They contain trees that we want to keep, some bushes that we want to keep in order to retain wildlife, some grape vines and posts that we want to remove as well as general brush and poison ivy. We are aware of the need to get rid of the grape wire as it can be a big problem for any size tractor.

Part of the land is somewhat soggy in Spring.

Our local dealer recommends the Masssey ferguson GC2300 over the Kubota 2230 but offers both tractors. The finance deal is better on the Kubota.

What are the pros and cons for these two tractors?

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #2  
Your dealer should have a little cardbord display thingy with the GC2300 spec'd out against the Kubota and JD2210 (at least the dealer I visited did) that does a direct comparison between the machines and highlights where the GC2300 has an advantage.

Some things I remember offhand being better on the M-F were: HP developed at lower RPM, engine larger displacement, better hydraulic flow. Your dealer sells both and is recommending one over the other for a reason. I doubt it's for a bigger margin since you're likely to be able to price out similar setups on each to within a hundred bucks or so. IIRC, the M-F financing is 0.9% for 3 years as opposed to 0%.

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #3  
Ripley,
I have a BX2200. I looked long and hard at the MF GC2300. I really liked it but availability was an issue at the time so I purchased the BX. But I think the differences between the two are minor and you would be happy with either.

That being said you may want to look at a larger tractor for your 12 acres. Since you are keeping the Ingersoll for yard work you could purchase a larger tractor, a CUT, w/o the mower deck and be close to the price of the subCUT.

When I was looking I could have purchased the JD 4010 for cheaper than the JD2210 subcut - both with mower and FEL.

Just a thought.

Phil

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #4  
Either of these machines has plenty of power to do the work they were designed to do (I have a BX22). I wouldn't place too much emphasis on those specs. On the other hand, which one feels better to you? How big is the Kubota financing advantage? Admittedly, the GC is a much more handsome lookin' thang (I think the BX is just outright UGLY). Since you're using the same dealer for either brand, try 'em out and see which one feels better.

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #5  
I looked at both of these too. Ended up getting a Simplicity Legacy XL. Less $$ and does just the same. Bigger diesel, 4WD all the bells and whistles. You might want to give it a look.
http://www.simplicitymfg.com/

Good luck!!

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #6  
Like PhilNH5 said, you might consider looking at something a bit bigger. A B series Kubota would be a good fit for your needs and not much (if any) more expensive. You also can get larger engines, bigger tires, more ground clearance (which would really help with clearing land), etc. Since you have the old Ingersoll to mow with, I would be inclined to move "up the tractor chain" a few notches instead of just one.

On the original question... I think both tractors are very comparable. The MF is definately more attractive! And if you are happy with the dealer, I don't think you would regret buying either one.

Good luck!

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #7  
I have 12 wooded acres also and started with a 21hp B7500 and recently went with a L2800 at 29hp, it fits my place perfectly and does great with everything I want at a much higher production rate than the B7500 did.
I agree with others that you may want to upsize your tractor for your heavy work.

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230
Thank you for the information you all have provided. I will talk with the dealer and take a look at both tractors as well as consider an upgrade, including the Simplicity. From what I have read on this board, it looks like the most difficult part of the deal is done--deciding which tractor dealership to work with.

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #9  
<font color="blue"> 1*Our local dealer recommends the Masssey Ferguson GC2300 over the Kubota 2230 but offers both tractors.
2*The finance deal is better on the Kubota.
3*including the Simplicity.
Ripley
++++++++++++++++++++ </font>
1*The 2230 has been a proven model while the GC2300 is a relative new comer.
The 2230 far out sells the 2300. Popularity may affect resale value.
Kubota must be doing something right.
I would buy the MF 2300 over the Kubota BX2230 if the money was enough less.
2*This is a biggie in favor of going with the 2230.
You pay interest on the 2300 or you collect interest on the 2230
I have also heard there is a 500 rebate on the 2230.
3*A Simplicity Garden tractor would not be an upgrade
I have never seen a simplicity beat a kubota price.
When I got my BX 23 the simplicity was $5000 more than my BX23.

/ compare Massey ferguson GC2300 with Kubota 2230 #10  
Actually Massey has 0% for 36 months and better rates for 48, 60 & 72 compared to Kubota. So the statement that you pay interest on the GC2300 is incorrect. Same as Kubota at 36 months, less than Kubota at 48-72. As far as a newcomer, the GC2300 has been around since 2002 and has proven itself. Talk to your dealer.