What Tractor is right to buy?

/ What Tractor is right to buy? #1  

grejef

I am trying to find the right tractor for maintenance of my property, (Bottom-line, which size is right?). I have found that the deciphering of the salesmen who are “quote school trained” is getting a little old and somewhat pocket padded to which a Ford 8N with a bush hog for $2800 is a steal. The property is 5-1/2 acres with a one acre pond, wooded on one side with a 5% grade in the front. 2 -1/2 acres are brush and the rest is grass. We will also acquire and additional 5 acres which is all brush and trees and planning a ¼ acre garden (tiller) and have a requirement for a loader to move numerous items and future use for the landscaping and a 4-5 foot box scraper. Based on what I have found through research on my own and talking to the sellers of Kubota, JD, New Holland, Mihindra and Kioti the size and power that they state which ranges from 15-26 appears not right, the low GPM for hydraulics 4-7.9 GPM, 900 to 2500RPM for the rear PTO and the 1500-2000 RPM for the mid all seem a little off. In the subcompact size tractors, there seems to be no real comparison side by side since none are similar in nature and all have something different besides color. Help, because buying a car is easier.

/ What Tractor is right to buy? #2  
Welcome
You seem to be pretty negative, or very suspicious, with information you have been getting from various sources so far.

I'd suggest, find a dealer or salesman and mechanic that you can put some faith into, and go with that brand. Maybe you can 'be satisfied' and maybe not. But just as well jump in and get your feet wet. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a Deere X485 for the lawn and lawn care work, and a Deere 4300 for the firewood, brush, woods, digging, etc. work. Great combination, along with a Deere 4x2 Gator (just to keep the grandkids happy, of course). /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ What Tractor is right to buy? #3  
I went through the process a couple months ago and yes it is way more complicated than buying a car. Check out this post on my final decision.

Also, I wish I had included some specs. in my writeup, so see the attached PDF of my spreadsheet for things like PTO HP, lift capacity, etc... (wish i could attach the actual ss!)

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 717122-Tractors.pdf
    5.5 KB · Views: 185