Allright, beginning to get overwhelmed

/ Allright, beginning to get overwhelmed #1  

LSmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I am finally in the market for a new tractor. I am leaning toward a Kubota because that what I've had before & the dealer is only 5 miles away. I mainly want to acomplish two things: 1) Mow grass in about 8 ac of our 60 ac place & 2) keep deadfall and brush picked up. I am confused because in talking to several dealers I get conflicting info, such as My local dealer says L-2800 HST is the best tractor for my needs but don't get the MMM because it's a pain to remove & install. Another Kubota dealer in MS says the L-2800HST is crap with hydraulic and shift problems and I should get a Grand L with shuttleshift instead (More Money) and a RFM is just a manuverable as a MMM. I have had to coax both of them to quote me brushforks with a grapple! Personally I think both these tractors are too much for my land uses. Finally I'm kinda eveing the Powertrac but with 800# lift and no local support I don't know if it's right either. HELP! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lane Smith

/ Allright, beginning to get overwhelmed #2  
Lane,

Welcome! The selection process can be overwhelming, but there is that right machine for you and your needs out there.

With 60 acres, including your desire to finish mow 8 acres, grab brush/limbs and perhaps do brushcutting, I encourage you to consider machines that offer easily-changeable, FRONT-mounted attachments including a wide (72") finish mower, rotary brush cutter, root rake brush grapple, dirt bucket, and more.

Some to consider include the larger diesel Power Trac articulated tractor loaders ( Power Trac products) with lift capacities of 1200, 1800 or 2400 pounds, or the Bobcat Toolcat work machine with 4-wheel-steering, 1500-lb. ROC lift to 84" and much more. If you go this direction instead of a conventional CUT, there are various models and pricing levels.

I just bought a Bobcat Toolcat 5600T from a full-service dealer (there are 900+ Bobcat dealers), and here's a link to thread I started just before I decided: Bobcat Toolcat 5600 or Power Trac 1850 for 168 ac?

With 60 acres, you should take the time to consider a range of tractor sizes and types before buying new, and be sure to arrange free demos on your property, WITH multiple attachments! Good luck in your search.

/ Allright, beginning to get overwhelmed #3  
I have no troubles with the Power Trac. If I run into any I will fix them myself. That's fine, for me. It may not be for you. Everyone has different needs, desires and skills to be considered.

As for the Kubota line in general, they are great machines. If you have a good dealer, you have it made. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now you just have to determine which size unit you actually need for your tasks. The dealer can't do that for you. They can make suggestions, but you have to make the decision. Will a smaller unit be big enough for your tasks? Will a larger unit be too big to mow the lawn? Will the MMM get in the way of other tasks? Will a RFM stick out like a dog's tail and whack into things when you turn? Do you like hooking up 3PT implements?(that is the thing I hated the most).

These are the hard questions you have to answer before purchasing any machine so you won't be disappointed afterwards. It can be a brutal task to weed it all out.

Have you made a PRO and CON list for all the makes/models you are considering? I did and it really helped me out.

/ Allright, beginning to get overwhelmed #4  
Here is something to think about.. are you ever going to 'utilize' more than 8ac of that 60ac.. if so.. you don't want too small a tractor.. though a smaller 'new' tractor fits in fine with a 'cheap' old ag tractor for the big tasks.

I'd have to say that for manuverability.. a MMM will be best.. wherever your tires can go.. usually it can too.. baring ground clearance problems. as for the rear mower.. turning will be the issue with manuvering.. it swings wide inthe rear.. course.. all that said.. I prefer the rear 3pt implements...

Soundguy

/ Allright, beginning to get overwhelmed #5  
In my book for 8 acres of mowing, the best combination to do your projects would be the B7800 with a 72"MMM. This mower is as easy as a 3PH attachment to take off and install. It should fall into the same price range as the L2800HST.
Using a RFM with either of these tractors that is 72" wide will require some type of counter weight on front of tractor. This would have to be weights or FEL. Weights will be in the way of installing the FEL. Leaving the FEL on tractor while cutting lawn will always have it in the way around obstacles.
To cut around your pond get a Rotary Cutter (Bush Hog).
The only fault I have with the B7800 tractor is the 1/4 inching 3PH. But with your task this should not be a problem.
I do not suggest the B3030 because it does not have the same 72" mower as B7800. But most owners will tell this mower is not hard to remove and install either.
With a 402 FEL you will have similar load capacity to the L2800 FEL.
Do some research on TBN for B7800, B2710, B2910, and B3030. These are all the same size tractor with more features up to the B2910 and it's replacement B3030.
My B2910 with 72"MMM will cut 2 acres in less than 1 hour. I run Mid-range. Which is 5.5 MPH. I have turf tires that do most of my work with out problems. If you plan doing work in the woods. You may want to consider R-4s for tire choice.

/ Allright, beginning to get overwhelmed #6  
Ok on the 8 acres that class machine should be OK.... but what do you plan on doing with the 60?

I have found the RFM to be more to MY liking than the MMM for my B7800. It offered me quick changing and did not limit my clearance when we ventured into the woods. YMMV.

Do the pro/con list thingy, don't count out other brands, unless your dealer makes it a mute point.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif