Loader Demo Material

/ Loader Demo Material #1  

Dutch445

Elite Member
Tractor
JD X585
I am creating a small dirt area to allow customers to demo tractor's with loaders/backhoes. I would like to ask the question of what material would you like to see in this pit. We have different ideas, from gravel to mulch to sand etc. Our local soil is mostly gravel, bony stuff. But, would it be better to have a more fine material to demo backdragging etc..
any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks,
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Loader Demo Material #2  
How about some good size rocks?

/ Loader Demo Material #3  
I think Gravel and sand would also be good. A lot of people have gravel driveways and sand for everything from foundation work to childerns play areas. Plus the weight is high for both and would show the lifting power. If it can lift a load of sand mulch will be a walk in the park. Good luck

/ Loader Demo Material #4  
Dutch, a lot of the work i do up here for others is moving #2 stone and topsoil. I also do some pea gravel but not to much sand. Our crappy clay around here is tough on a tractor but if your selling bobcats or backhoes it would be a good idea to have a big clump of the clay around to try it out. Maybe have an area where they can dig the ground with the hoe and back fill with a loader or bob cat. Where you at ? maybe i'll stop by and see your set up.

/ Loader Demo Material
JJ,
I'm over near Syr,, and this is a relatively small area so far,
but we lined it with some big concrete barriers to keep it confined to one area. As soon as we get the go ahead from the big boss, we will be dumping something in to demo loaders.. not so sure about deep backhoe digs, but that could be ok just to get the feel
i guess...
should probably UFPO first eh?

hehe

/ Loader Demo Material #6  
I would go with small stone or rocks. They won't wash away in the rain, they won't get the demo tractor all dusty like topsoil would, and could be raked back into the pile easily.

Just my opinion...

/ Loader Demo Material #7  
Dutch445,

I would suggest sand. As mentioned in another post, stone would be cleaner but could cause a lot of damage to the tractor if the operator allowed the load to spill back over the bucket and onto the hood of the tractor. Dirt might get too muddy from rain and won't drain well. Sand may not be the best thing to expose the front axle seals to. May want to hose off the front end after play time.

Jeff

/ Loader Demo Material
Thanks for the ideas.
I'm still not sure yet, but the idea of rocks dropping on the hood isn't all that cool!
Maybe some nice white golf course sand!
Soon enough though, it'll be white around here
anyway... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Keep your ideas coming
thanks

/ Loader Demo Material #9  
Why are you worried about dropping stuff on the hoods? Did you pick up a line of those TinHood tractors?!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like a great idea. I really need to drop by sometime...

/ Loader Demo Material #10  
What about something like rubber pellets. They shouldn't wash away nearly as easily as sand, would still offer some weight and if they hit the tractor would probably just bounce right off.