Fair/Reasonable Demo/Loaner Usage Opinions Wanted

/ Fair/Reasonable Demo/Loaner Usage Opinions Wanted #1  

odleefs

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Bobcat/Toolcat 5600T C, 2000 Yamaha Grizzly
I just wanted to get TBNers feedback on what they think is a reasonable number of hours for demo'ing a piece of equipment?

Along the same subject, what is a fair number of hours for using a loaner unit while yours is being fixed/serviced/warranty work, etc.?

Thanks!

/ Fair/Reasonable Demo/Loaner Usage Opinions Wanted #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just wanted to get TBNers feedback on what they think is a reasonable number of hours for demo'ing a piece of equipment?

Along the same subject, what is a fair number of hours for using a loaner unit while yours is being fixed/serviced/warranty work, etc.? Thanks! )</font>

Rules of thumb may not apply to all situations, but a time that benefits both the customer and dealer would be best. The dealer wants you to demo a unit long enough for you to decide you want to purchase it. And if the dealer is taking longer for repair or machine prep than anticipated, he'd be ok with the customer using the loaner for more hours to get jobs done and be happy.

With demos, I would think many more hours would be reasonable on a machine that is assigned full-time to the demo/loaner/rental fleet than with a machine the dealer intends to sell as a new unit after a few demos.

Also, more demo hours would be ok for higher-priced and unusual equipment than with low-end equipment.

My Bobcat dealer had no problem with me demoing a brand new Toolcat for 13.8 seat hours over 4 days. The used attachments I demoed extensively came out of his dedicated rental equipment. But I understand some tractor dealers have a five-hours of machine use expectation for demos.

/ Fair/Reasonable Demo/Loaner Usage Opinions Wanted
Brian,
Thanks for your honest appraisal. As you know, I have had an extended demonstration of the Toolcat for over 1 month, and I have the keys hidden with 17.8 hours on it as I eagerly await my unit. My feelings regarding proper time/hours are mixed; on one hand, you need to try it out it on all of the tasks that you will require of it, and yet, you don't want to abuse the privilege seeing how long it will take to COMPLETE these tasks!
While initially it was a demo, I feel that its role now is a loaner, as mine is on order. That said, I am still trying to keep it parked...but you know how hard that is! I will be calling my dealer tomorrow for an update.
Thanks Again,
Steve