New Tractor Guidance

/ New Tractor Guidance #1  

EFR2441

Tractor
NH TC40A with 16LA FEL. Ford 4500 loader/backhoe
I am in the market for a new tractor for around the house. The tractor will primarily be used for hauling timber from the woods, small chores around the house, as well as snow removal from a 700+ ft. driveway. I have 105 acres of mostly hardwoods that I cut 15-20 chord from a year. The land is mostly rolling hills that has numerous skidder roads running through it. The last two years I borrowed my fathers Ford 1320. It worked well and got the job done, but it was just too small; low ground clearance, and I could only pull out a single tree if it was over 18" thick. I would like to put a Farmi or Fransgard winch on a 40+/- horsepower 4wd tractor. I don't want too big of a tractor, for I already have a full size backhoe and I want to be able to go over the lawn occasionally without it sinking in (like the backhoe). I have looked at the JD 990 and liked it a lot. The JD 3020 series had too little ground clearance I felt and the 4020 seemed a little larger than I needed. I am partial to JD, but I am looking at and open to Kubota and NH as well. My question to the experienced on this site is; Am I on the right track? Will a 40+/-hp 4wd pull three or four good sized trees (12-20" X full length) trees? This tractor will never see a back hoe or baler, but maybe a brush hog, definitely a skidding winch of some sort, york rake and grader blade, snow plow etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

/ New Tractor Guidance #2  
A 990 should do the job. You might want to think about tires. If you are doing TSM (timber stand managment) the R4's float a little better than the AGs will. The AGs have better traction but will rip and tear more.

If you put 4-40' trees 20" around behind it you better be on the flat or down hill and hope they dont roll off to the side, they will take you with them. I really think that that is asking to much for a CUT, take 2 trips, its part of the fun.... errr.... job.

I have about 1/2 your property in hardwood and do the same thing with a 3510 Mahindra. One of the reasons I went with the Mahindra was for the weight for skidding. You might want to look at the Mahindra 4110, 40hp or even the 3510, 35 hp. More weight and bang for your buck, more feaures than the 90's Deere's.

I dont use a winch, I skid with chains or cut in the woods depending on where the trees are. I have been liking cutting to about 7-8 foot and loading the carryall and hauling them out. Less dirt to run the chainsaw though, less damage to my trails, less damage to the trees along the corners of the trails. If I have a decent opening, I will haul the trailer back and cut to length in the woods.

/ New Tractor Guidance #3  
The R-4's might come with a higher ply rating for less chance of flats in the woods vs. the R-1 ag tires. I'm not 100% positive, just throwing the idea out there.

/ New Tractor Guidance #4  
Look at the NH TC 4X /d/da series... hydro, DO get 4wd.. and watch about loading that will make you flip. Look into weights to lower your center of gravity.. and help anchor you with the winch.. but that you can take off when not needed.. I.e. frame weights... etc...

Soundguy

/ New Tractor Guidance #5  
Hi EFR,

I would like to mention a Montana 4340 with Tajfun log winch. The Tajfun (pronounced Typhoon) is awesome and the 4 ton winch on the Montana 4340 is a great combination.

I have several people who use this exact combination as we are in heavy timber country and it works beautiful. The tractor and winch combo will easily handle multiple large trees with ease.

Here are some pictures Montana 4340 with 4 ton Tajfun winch I have posted months ago with that setup. I prefer the Tajfun over any brand log winch and if you post in the implements section there are many users of Tajfun here.

Here is the Tajfun website Tajfun

Hope this is of help.

Thanks,
Maka

/ New Tractor Guidance #6  
I'd like the Deere 4x20. The R1s are 6 ply, and whatever you go with, you could go foam filled to get planty of weight to the ground, and no flats. The polymer hood and fenders will take brutal punishment without even wincing. You'd be hard pressed to find a more robust package.

That said, there are lotsa fine machines on the market. Just be sure you get with a dealer you like, and read up on BobSkurkas post on comparing apples to apples on specs, so you can be sure that what you get is what you expect.

/ New Tractor Guidance
Thanks to everyone for your input. I've been checking this site a couple times a weeks since I found it. I will be making a decision before December on a new tractor, but I've got some leg work to do before then. I appreciate all the information that is put out here. I had never even heard of the Tajfun winch before Maka mentioned it. I looked it up and his pictures. Thanks. Erik.

/ New Tractor Guidance #8  
Do you know if any manufacturer posts what metal they use in their tractors? People get hung up on the weight of a tractor issue, but there most certainly is a big difference in metal strengths. Since I am into metal work and welding quite a bit, I can buy a lot more "weight" of low carbon recycled (lower quality control) steel than high strength first run steel. If you want a good example of high weight, poor strength steel, go buy a "heavy" vice or something similar at Harbor Freight. Not all steel is created equal. Besides, it is nice to be able to add weight when needed to a strong frame, and take it off when not needed.

/ New Tractor Guidance #9  
Not all plastic is created equal either /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He asked about skidding. You need weight for skidding. You need a lot of weight to skid a lot of logs. If you dont get hung up on weight before you drag logs, you will get hung up by weight while skidding.

If you want to buy wheel weights, and frame weights, and suitcase weights for the front and take your loader off every time you skid, by all means buy a light tractor.

Who is to say that good steel is going into the big three tractors in the first place /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Odds are good that they are getting their bulk steel at the same place in this global economy. There is less weight, therfore there is just as good, if not better, chance that there is just less steel.

/ New Tractor Guidance #10  
The raw material is only part of the equation. the metalurgy and cast process is another.

Soundguy