Winter question

/ Winter question #1  

mountainair

I would like to buy a four wheel drive tractor for the primary purpose of snow blowing. I do not have a specific need for a tractor other than snow removal. I live in Pennsylvania, so we can get some severe storms. I have 110 feet of 48" sidewalk and about 80 feet of driveway with a steep incline at one point. I currently have a track drive snow blower; however, it can be physically challenging at times.

What would you recommend in my situation? I feel foolish spending big money on something that will mostly sit 8 months out of the year. Is there an economical solution?

/ Winter question #2  
Wow.. hard decision since it will have no other uses.

Side walk.. what's it like on either side? ( dropoff? ).. you'd either have to get a tractor skinny enough to run the walk.. or one wide enough to straddle it, but not so wide that it causes interference problems. I think we are talking Kubota BX series, or NH TZ series.. Sorta like 'super' riding lawn mowers.. etc.

I'm sure each brand has a SCUT.. etc.. those two I mentioned are the only ones I've really laid hands on.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Winter question #3  
I would actually go smaller than Soundguy is recommending. I would look at the Garden Tractors from your local Cub Cadet or John Deere shop. I've got a 13 or 14 year old Cub that has a front mount blower on it does a great job, is small enough to go down a sidewalk and can easily take care of a driveway.

/ Winter question #4  
Both SOUNDGUY AND BOB make excellent points. but i think in your particular case as Bob says a good Garden tractor with snowblower will probably do the job and not be as costly as a SCUT. you might need chains on it and a soft cab will make snowblowing easier. you really need to go look at both options and price them out. Then you can make your decesion.

/ Winter question #5  
Welcome to the forum.
If I were in your shoes, and had the problem, I would look seriously at the Deere 4wd X585 (gas) or X595 (diesel) with a front blower, as a place to start. That is probably an 'ultimate' machine for you, but you can back off from there and settle at a price/function that fits your desire.

Just snowblowing with anything you ride on will seem a bit pricey for what you get, but its your party and you should get what you want, IMO.
I suggest Deere only because I am familiar with what is available, but there are other brands to look at as well. Much will depend on the dealer that is of your liking. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I will wish for snow too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Winter question #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do not have a specific need for a tractor other than snow removal. )</font>

You might be surprised the uses you find for it as it sits there for 8 months. The versatility of a SCUT will impress you.

As far as what to get, I would say it depends on that steep incline to decide between a garden tractor and a FWD SCUT. Either way, chains and weights are strongly recommended since the front blowers are heavy and will rob you of traction on the rear end. That weight up front also makes the power steering in the SCUTs a big plus.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Brad

/ Winter question #7  
Can you hire it out? I have a 300 ft drive plus a cople of pullouts or turnarounds. I pay $35 to get plowed - if the plowguy beats me to it. Otherwise I use a BX2200 and a walk behind snowblower.

Prior to getting the BX I would get plowed 8 - 10 times a year. So $350/year. It would take a very long time to come out ahead if the BX was only used for plowing. Even if you buy a Sears tractor with a blower you could be spending 2 - 3K, enough for 5 to 8 years of plow service.

Just a thought.

Phil

/ Winter question
Thank you for your responses. I wish I could find someone reliable to handle the snow removal. However, I usually cannot wait for the person to show up. I will research the SCUT because that is the only recommendation I am not familiar with. I should have kept my Kubota front mower with the 42 inch blower when I moved. It was 4WD and moved snow quickly.

/ Winter question #9  
Whatever brand you do choose, look at thair smallest SCUT they have. For example, kubota BX or NH TZ series. Both look like 'beefy' lawnmowers.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Winter question #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ......... I should have kept my Kubota front mower with the 42 inch blower when I moved. It was 4WD and moved snow quickly. )</font>

Looks like you have found your answer......I rest my case.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif