Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #1  

GHawk

My first time to posting here.
I’ve been reading this forum, lurking in the background for some time now. I’m in the market for a new tractor and obviously the choices are overwhelming.
I have some land I moved onto last year and need to clear some 8-12 inch trees, prep the land and do mowing and cleanup of under growth. I’ll do some bucket work and pasture maintenance as well.
I’m impressed with the Mahindra overall weight I’d like to have under me when I grab these trees and they fight back. The Branson dealer offered a pkg deal that was very appealing due to the $$ but that tractor may not have the donkey behind it for what I need. And of course you have to check out the Kubota and John Deere.
EVERYONE has their opinions and I take a little from them all. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Branson 4220i 4WD – BL20A Loader - 18’ 14Klb trailer – 6’ Howse cutter - 6’ Howse BB - Middle Buster Plow –
LOWEST $$$$
Kubota L4400DT-F 4WD – LA703 Loader – NO TAILER – 6’ Rhino Cutter – 6’ Rhino BB –
ADD $1,278
Mahindra 4530 4WD – ML245 Loader with quick loader attachment – 20’ 14Klb Trailer – 6’ “heavy duty” cutter – 6’ “heavy duty” BB –
ADD $6,172
Kubota M4900SD2F4WD – NO TRAILER – LA1002 Loader - 6’ Rhino Cutter – 6’ Rhino BB –
ADD $10,545
John Deere – No price given (yet)

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #2  
Nothing in your bio.. we need a bit more info.. like.. where are yuo.. type of terain... altitude.. snow? acerage? how much of that will be mowed? how often? other future uses.. etc.

Welcome to TBN

soundguy

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks
I guess that would help a bit more. New to the tractor world.
I have 24 acres of live oak ridge and sugar sand in Florida. It is very dense with water oak, live oak, wild magnolia and wax myrtle. The property is flat with a slight slope towards the west and north due to boundaries of creeks that pan out into cypress knees and marsh. I will cut trails through about ½ and want to clear 3 – 5 more acres. Not clean cut like I hired professionals to do where my barn and main pasture are. I’ll most likely do selective clearing of 8” – 15” diameter trees and leave the big canopy oaks. I’ll need to bush hog ALL the areas cleared including the trails.
There has been a lot of dumping here over the last 50 years, well not like a landfill. There are old piles of debris hidden under growth scattered around a little here and there and needs to be buried.
After I get this work done I’ll maintain the seeded grass in the pasture and mow the trails, keep down any under growth through the oak clearings and do bucket work from time to time. I’d like to take a cord or two of oak for winter firewood. We like a fireplace and campfires during the hard winter months. (Ha! All 1 ½ of them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
I guess the initial clearing is the most important of the reasons for this purchase. I have family with Bobcats that I borrow for bucket work if needed. They can clear brush and scrape roughed up soil back to a smooth grade but in no way can take out trees like this. ( SEE ATTACHED)

Attachments

• 745488-IMAGE02B.jpg
    745488-IMAGE02B.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 262
   / Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #4  
Based on what you have said and what I saw in your picture, I don't think any of the tractors you have listed will have enough "donkey" behind them to do what you say you want done, at least in the initial phase of your clear out of your land. Even the Mahindra only has 35 ish HP in that model. Suggest you look for a tractor that has 45 to 55 hp at the PTO. This will assure another thousand or so lbs and 10 donkey power. Also if you get a trailer, don't go less than 20' and make sure you have enough donkey in the truck that pulls/gets pushed by it......Good luck with your journey! BobG in VA

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #5  
Just my $0.02 but you seem to like the Mahindra so why not just go with that one?

As for the packages, be really careful because when you are pricing implements you may find that one brand of rotary cutter that is claimed to be H.D. is the equivalent of a regular duty model from a different brand. Exact same can be said about box blades, rakes, loader bucket designs, etc. You are comparing Howse, Rhino & 'heavy duty' whatever the heck that is?!? To see what I mean about the variety & quality differences take a look at this thread on box blades: Box Blade Photo Comparison

There are similar comparisions for operator stations and front loader designs. Also, be very vary careful when you compare your capacities on the front end loaders and the 3pt hitch. If they do not measure from the same point then they are not valid comparisions. This thread starts off talking about bucket size but turns into a thread that really gets in depth about capacity ratings and how they are measured. Bucket Capacity VS Real Capacity

This is another good one:
Comparing Overall Specs: JD, Kubota, Mahindra, etc . . .

So with that stuff said, look closely at the tractors and decide what fits you best, what you like best, what the dealer support will be for you and if the dealer fits your comfort level. Cruise the forums here and do some "searches" in the various forums looking for problems, support issues, etc. As you have some tractors picked out, go to those specific forums and do a 'search' for the model number you are considering to see what other folks say about them.

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #6  
Looking at the tractor comparisons just have several questions.

Do you require a trailer?

Have you considered a backhoe attachment for digging out stumps or burying junk?

What type of transmission will best serve your use?

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #7  
I may be wrong, however I think OkeeDon had a similar situation., Fairly new tractor, but not quite big enough for massive land clearing. He also, lives in FL.. I believe he posted pics here last year of hiring a local contractor and this, cleared the vast majority of his property. You may ask him by private message about this... IF your intent on getting a tractor for yourself, not only look at immediate needs, you should try to figure what you may need long term.. There are many tractor brands out there.. Try as many as you can get to, look at what fits you (ergonomics) what impliments you need, the whole ball of wax. I am sure this thread will receive 100 different (this brand suites your needs best)... Research as best you can and try as many as you can...

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #8  
OkeeDon, like many other good members here, quit TBN.

His last post was weeks ago.

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #9  
Do you have any bias for one manufacturer over another? Is $ a primary consideration. One thing I'd consider is what you can buy if you don't pay the long $ for a high profile name tractor. You mentioned Mahindra, I just finished looking for and buying a tractor to replaced a 1992 Belarus 572. I could've bought a MF 471, Belarus 952, Mahindra 7010. Since I already owned a noname tractor I also looked at the Chinese imports. I didn't necessarily have a budget but wasn't interested in paying a large premium either. I ended up buying a Farm Pro 8240 (newer version of the 8020). This tractor is also imported as Foton 824, Euroleopard 824 and other brands. I was glad I did. Delivered with a Koyker 310 loader with 84" bucket from Indiana to New Hampshire was $26,000. The only drawback to buying this tractor is support. If you aren't willing to work on it when needed, find a local dealer and pay them to do maintenance.

/ Shopping for NEW Tractor - ANY input = many thanks #10  
Small world... I live in central florida.

For 25 ac.. I think 40hp range is a good idea.. 30hp range is a tad light... more like the 7-15 ac range..

Soundguy