Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome

/ Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome #1  

ttowne66

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 HST
Hello Guys

I have been looking at all kinds of compact tractors for the last month or so. Deere, Mahindra, Case, NH, Cat, Kubota, Montana and farmtrack. At this point (with my limited experience) For the money the Mahindra 2810HST looks to be a stout package for 15,800. Anyone dissagree or have any usefull comments, better prices? Uses for this tractor include the following.

1) a one time lanscaping 50 yards around the perimeter of the house (noving piles etc.
2) a one time disc of 10 acres
3) maintinance mowing the 10 acres there after
4) medium to light woods work
5) snow blowing in the snow capital of the east (Tug hill Plateau, east of lake Ontario)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

/ Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome #2  
Hi ttowne66,

Aside from the woods & disk work, sounds like a sub-CUT is right for you... for those you need a little "oomph".

If you've operated each, have established the dealer and support network is suitable for you (machines eventually break--especially when worked), and have the cost in line with what you want to spend, it sounds like you've made a good choice.

The guy I bought from, a long-time friend, spoke very highly of Kubota & NH quality, and said Mahindra & Kioti were making some good machines too (even being strictly a JD dealer), but cautioned me about buying from less-established companies--the words of caution he gave to me were: " You'll always need parts, and JD will always be here. Who's to say how long the newer ones will be?"

That's all I can really mention beyond "buy what you like!" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome
Kevin & Brown

Thanks. Has anyone had any problems getting parts for Mahindr's? I found out they are actually made by TYM. Has TYM been in business for a long time? Thanks.

/ Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome #4  
This suggestion is off track of which tractor to get, but for snow blowing in "the snow capitol of" any area, I would seriously consider an enclosed cab, preferably climate controlled!
You may not consider this a necessity at this time, but in 10 years your bones and joints will thank you for your serious consideration.
Steve
P.S. I'm lazy so I didn't look this up on my own, but what is your average annual snowfall?

Odleefs

Thanks. I live close to the heaviest area east of the lake.

Attachments

• 746459-snwseas.gif
    746459-snwseas.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 159
   / Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome #6  
Wow!!
That is some serious lake effect snow! Back in 2002 at my house here in NEPA we had ~120 inches of snow...and I thought that was alot! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
We always hear about the huge snowfalls that you folks receive up there and I am amazed that you all function as well as you do! We would be in a chronic state of emergency down here if we had those snowfall amounts! As I stated, I would definitely consider an enclosed cab and a decent blower, as you will be using it!

/ Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome #7  
If you will be doing the kind of snow work I think you might want a heated cab it's just about a must. Look at the Farm Pro 70 & 80 hp cab tractors. For around $25,000 you can get one that'll do all you want. Just a note, I'd reconsider the snowblower, a bigger tractor with a rear blade and loader works well and is faster.

/ Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome #8  
If you have 10ac.. I'd lean toward CUT rather than SCUT.. but then.. I like 'big'. If I only had to disc once.. I'd see if i could rent a disc. If you can rent one it would be cheaper than buying a 400-600$ disc for one use. Rental would probably also be cheaper than hireing it out. Other options are to find a good used disc that wasn't 'used-up'. If I could find a disc for twice the price of the rental.. or at least half (or less)the price of the new.. I'd go that route.

As for moving dirt for landscaping one time. I almost though 'rear scoop' but if you will also have 'tree' duty.. a fel is hard to beat.. especially if there may be snow issues.

Mahindra dealers are getting around.. i doubt you will have parts availability issues. That said.. 'dealer' service is a big issue.. almost as important as price. You should be 'very happy' with your dealer before plunking down big cash.

Soundguy

/ Buying first tractor, opinions and insight welcome #9  
Personally, I'm not a fan of the rear blade and loader for primary snow removal, especially around Tug Hill. A blower is what you want IMO. You won't have to deal with massive snow banks and it throws the snow clear of your drive and your corners so they don't get narrower and narrower as the winter moves on.

Loader is a must..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Been away for a few days, Thanks again to all who have responded. Your advise is much appreciated!