Four wheel drive

/ Four wheel drive #1  

EFR2441

Tractor
NH TC40A with 16LA FEL. Ford 4500 loader/backhoe
I looked at a NH TC35A and TC35DA yesterday. Nice tractors. While looking under the machine, I noticed the front drive shaft was noticable smaller in diameter than the JD and Kubota. I asked the salesman about this, who told me it was not a true 4wd, but a front assist. He proceeded to tell me that the front wheels travel at a slightly faster rate than the rear wheels (when engaged) and the 4wd option is primarily for steering and not traction. This was the first time I had heard this, and am wondering if it is true.

Is this true of the NH tractors? If so, what about the other major brands. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Erik

/ Four wheel drive #2  
Hmmm... things that make you wonder.. Im curious what others have to say about it being 'assist' only, I have never heard of that in a tractor..

Keep us informed..

thanks
brian

/ Four wheel drive #3  
Are you sure the shaft is smaller? The reason I ask is because on my MF-1533 you can't see the shaft. The shaft is in the pivot rod (not sure of the right name for it) for the front axle.

Here is what my MF- 1533 book says about the 4x4 part of the tractor...

"When front axle is engaged, ground speed of front tires will vary from ground speed of rear tires. This is to assist in steering when four-wheel drive is selected"

Now with that said above, I think your dealer has misunderstood what 4x4 is all about... IMO and I am sure in most others, 4x4 is for locking 2 axles together to help get traction NOT help in steering. YES it is true that the above statement says "assist in steering", but the main use for 4x4 is for traction. How many times as someone used 4x4 in a truck to HELP steer? Me, I've locked in for traction, not to help me steer (yes I live in Florida, BUT I am from Niagara Falls, NY).

/ Four wheel drive #4  
There have been several times I've forgotten to engage the "front assist' on my 33D while using ground engaging equipment, like a box blade.

Sure does "assist" a lot when going in a straight line. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Like no forward movement to forward movement.

/ Four wheel drive #6  
Um Ok /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Soooo because my tires are SMALLER in front that means I have 4 wheel assist and not 4 wheel drive? Mud in my face... Then why would the Massy book say "Four-Wheel Drive" when it SHOULD say "Four-Wheel Assist"? That's it, I am taking this tractor back /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif .

/ Four wheel drive #7  
I'm not buying it, if all four wheels are "driven", then it's 4 wheel drive, tire size may affect traction but is irrelevant as to whether or not it's 4 wheel drive or not. I've never heard of 4 wheel "assist". I know off roaders that run different size tires front and rear, they have different gear ratios at each end, just like tractors, it's still 4 wheel drive. IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Four wheel drive #8  
I'm far from an authority on the subject, but I believe I have an idea on this topic.

I'm thinking the tractor industry uses the term "4WD" in cases such as big Ag tractors that run in 4WD on a continuous basis, and 4wheel assist is reserved for tractors that are in and out of 4WD as needed.

Some 4 wheel assist tractors dis-engage front drive when brakes are applied. When the front "assist" isn't needed, they function as any 2 wheel drive.

Bottom line is, they do the same thing.

Back a few years, when most front wheel drive systems were hydraulic driven, they were ALL referred to as "front assist". I think that when most manufacturers went to mechanical front wheel drive, they threw out the "assist" to get rid of the "stigma" that hydraulic drives had earned.

/ Four wheel drive #9  
Ok I feel a bit better on the subject. I am sticking with a have 4x4 tractor and I will keep it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

/ Four wheel drive #10  
For what it's worth...

Go the John Deere or New Holland websites. Navigate your way to their Ag tractors page. Both include a "4WD" category. Go ahead and click on it. What do you see?

GIANT articulated steering "4WD" tractors with, typically, same size dual or even triple(!) R1 style tires on all four corners!

I've also noticed in my wanderings around the various tractor websites and locations like MachineFinder.com that the term "MFWD" (mechanical front wheel drive) is generally used to indicate four wheel drive systems used on standard non articulated tractors when the front tires are smaller in diameter than the rear tires.