HST vs. Gear

/ HST vs. Gear #21  
Bob,

Maybe I took it wrong. First I ignored it but it was one of them things that just kept me thinking. I felt the fact my name was top was directed directly at me. And the statement the ability to know how to use a clutch kind of put me in that or anyone that had a HST. And I apologise for striking a lot harder than I should have. And for my signature line, there was someone out there that had the guts to make a HST for tractors and that is why we have them today.

Hope there is no hard feelings.

murph

/ HST vs. Gear #22  
And I thought it was horses, oxen and mules that the original homesteaders used to till the soil! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #23  
Of course there's no hard feelings, murph. My sense of humor has caused trouble before.

Got me thinking about a signature line of my own. How about:
"God,
guns,
guts,
and gears
are what's made America great."

I'll stop now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Bob

/ HST vs. Gear #24  
I'd like to throw in my two cents worth.I bought a shuttle shift in May of last year.I had several reasons.Price was about third in order of priorities as with the difference I put a major dent in the purchase of a rotary cutter.Other reasons were the forever proven gear transmission.With gear one can run engine at a lower speed when full power is not required and then go to the foot throttle when power is needed.The PTO hp. is insignificant but the power difference to the ground drive I believe is.My dealer sells more gear than hydro in my model(Kioti CK30),yet on the Kioti forum I think I'm the only one who has a gear.Having said all of these glowing things in favor of gear transmissions since the purchase I have developed a problem with my left knee and frequent clutching irritates it.Can you believe it?I'd kick myself if I had a leg! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #25  
DieselBoy,
Another comment....
I own a gear tractor, 8 forward and 8 reversem hi-lo, shuttle shift, 2wd-4wd. Very powerful and I'm very happy with it. All kinds of levers to shift the daylights out of it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However, if I were to buy another one I'd choose an HST simply for the comfort and convenience of operating the tractor.

I'm no spring chicken anymore but I'm not pansy either (my opinion, of course). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've shifted the HECK out of the tranny and sometimes it gets old when having to do some REAL work, such as FEL work for extended periods. Pulling stuff is requires much less shifting.

As far as which one is better, lasts longer, resale or more pto power, I could care less once the tractor is big enough to do everything I want around my little 27 acres.

I can conceed an advantage to the HST for convenience and comfort of the operator. Shifting gears is fun, indeed, but you got to look at the comfort and convenience side too.

/ HST vs. Gear #26  
I was going to buy another gear tractor (my fourth) until I started driving HSTs. Now I own an HST. Maybe the tractor won't last as long, but maybe I'll be using one longer than I would have since I am also getting older and like my conveniences. A rotary telephone works just fine. How many of you are still using them?

/ HST vs. Gear #27  
I'm probably like most people. My first dozen or so tractors were gear tractors. They worked just fine. I wanted nothing to do with the "new" hydro things. I then bought a shuttle shift tractor. Then I just knew that it would be a total waste to ever have a hydro tractor! The shuttle shift tractors were great!!

As things would have it, my dealer didn't have a tractor in stock like I wanted except in hydro. Apparently most of the "new" tractor buyers must have wanted hydro, so that is what they stocked. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Rather than wait for a couple of months for a special ordered gear unit to come in, I bought a hydro unit that they were just assembling off of the truck. I figured that it would work out okay until I got my next tractor and could go back to gears.

That was three tractors ago. They have all been hydro ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now I'm just as sure that nobody would want a gear tractor. Why do they even make them anymore? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (said tongue in cheek; I'd said the same about the hydro tractors a few years ago)

/ HST vs. Gear #28  
<font color="blue"> Maybe the tractor won't last as long </font>

And why would it not last as long ???? It may last longer.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...That was three tractors ago. They have all been hydro ever since. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now I'm just as sure that nobody would want a gear tractor. Why do they even make them anymore? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (said tongue in cheek; I'd said the same about the hydro tractors a few years ago))</font>

Dargo...
LOL...LOL...

And that's coming from a guy who had 12 or so gear tractors?...WOW! I think I'm on the right track wanting an HST after only 1 gear tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HST vs. Gear #30  
Hi,
I have a lot of hydro experience and now i've a shuttle shift transmission in my tractor. I love this for all kinds of work, even finish mowing work. After a time it will become very easy to drive with it, You don't realize it when you are shifting!!
A hydro in a larger tractor isn't a dream believe me you will lose a lot of power and torque only with the hydro.
A hydro is a good chose in little lawn mowers.
It depends of your work but when it is in first case mowing, you can consider to buy a hydro but don't go over the 30 hp limit.

A manual tranny will be stronger as a hydro so after a time a hydro will cost more money.