Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase #1  

BIG_R_Jr_3

Silver Member
Southwest Ranches, FL. / Daytona Beach Shores, FL.
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 471-4WD, John Deere L120 MMM
Gentlemen and Ladies I'm looking to purchase a new "brand name" tractor and I really could use this forum's help. The lay of the land is as follows.

Our 52 Acres are Agi-1 property, Hi and dry sand based consisting of trees, brush, fescue, palmetto's, grass, etc.

My intentions are to clean cut the land (not clear cut I want the large trees). But everything else must go !!

The land is vacant, no power no water no buildings.

Purchased property recently, my first project is to build a large garage then hookup ele. & h2o .

NOW comes my delemia which tractor to buy ?

I want a tractor thats big enough to handle the work load and depenable as I plan to keep for long time..

The Following Tractors I've recieved quotes on are as follows:

Kubota M5700 SD Tractor---$21,975
4WD/R1 Tires/ 1 Rear Hyd Valve/ 8F-8R with shuttle
Shift Trans. 57 HP/ 52 HP PTO 5 Cyl.
LA 1002 Loader-----$ 4,450 72" Bucket
TOTAL $26,425

Kubota M4900 SD Tractor---$20,800
4WD/R1 Tires/ Dual remotes/ 8F-4R with shuttle
Shift Trans. 50HP/ 45HP PTO 5 Cyl.
LA 1002 Loader----$ 4,400 72" Bucket
TOTAL $25,200

Kubota M4800 SD Tractor--$17,550
4WD/R1 Tires/no remotes/ 8F-4R with shuttle Shift
Trans. 50HP/ 43 HP PTO 4 Cyl.
LA 1002 Loader---$ 4,400 72" Bucket
TOTAL $21,950

John Deere 5205 Tractor---$20,950
4WD/R1 Tires/ 1 Rear Hyd valve/ 8F-4R Synch Shuttle
Trans. 56HP/ 50 HP PTO 3 Cyl.
522 Loader--------$ 3,650 72" Bucket
TOTAL $24,600

Massey Ferguson 1552 ---$21,514
4WD/R1 Tires/Fluid in Rear/ 12F-12R PowerShuttle
Trans. 52HP/ 41 HP PTO 3 Cyl.
MF 1530 Loader---$ 4,000 72" Bucket
TOTAL $25,514

OK that's what I got so for, I look forward to your response.

Note: during the time I was posting this message I received info on the kubota meeting this month. I was told that the
M4900, M5700, & M6800 are being PHASED OUT. Being replaced by the 5040, 6040, & 7040. What if anything does that matter if I buy one of them being PHASED OUT ? Sounds like time to save Add'l. $$$$.

" Thank God I'm a Country Boy "

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase #2  
Oh I wish I had your problem!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Think any one of them will work for you. Pick the one that feels best under you.

Not much help but you have already done all the work.

Egon

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase #3  
I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them. I just have a deep love for the M-6800 Kubota. It is supposed to be the best farm tractor that Kubtoa ever has made.

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase
I think the Transmission on the Massey might be the best of this group. ( Wet clutch ) However it also has the lowest HP & PTO rating. I'm not sure as to what's most important here Tractor HP & PTO or Transmission Factors. I know I will be running alot of different implements so I need to consider that too. Any thoughts ??

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase #5  

I'm not the Kubota expert a lot of the folks on here are though I own a BX-2200.

But I'll toss in a basic recommedation--get all the transmission you can, gears if not HST/Hydro. I have 32 speeds on my large machine and love every one of them. I wish it was Hydrostatic, though. Depends on your land's contours, too.

Fluid vs wheel wts is getting a lot of discussion elsewhere on TBN.

Have you looked at the Boomer's big brother, the TN? Mine is a TN90F, probably more compact (made for orchard/vineyard use) and expensive than you need but with the regular TN series's 16 speed shuttle, you could be fine. Be sure to get a cab & ac if you can swing it, esp if your climate demands it for comfort. There is a current thread elsewhere on AC and cabs you might want to read.

Happy hunting (almost more fun than using),

Jim

Last edit: FL, yeah, your climate DEMANDS it (cab/AC) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase #6  
I am looking at several of these plus a few others.

One thing is the rear remotes, if you are planning on using alot of different attachments. I posted in owning/operating "How Many Rear Remotes" and received some good advice, check it out.

The M5700 and M4900 I have looked at quite a bit and the M5700 is basically the same as the M4900. Just larger tires and more fuel to get the HP up. Some have said it is not worth the difference in price and just go with the M6800. I think it is up to the individual; its a bigger jump in price from a M4900 to M6800 than M4900 to M5700.

M4800, when I looked at this one it was not a shift-on-the-go, and I have several places I need to down shift or shift up when hogging and don't want to stop to do this. Same for road travel.

JD5205, nice machine, I used one and liked it very much just no shift-on-the-go. So I am now looking at the 5X25.

MF1552, I know they make good Ag tractors but only have one dealer in my area and he is new. I will be getting info from him and adding the MF to my list to strongly consider.

All are good machines, price seems about the same as what I have been getting in my area.

As far as the Kubota M's being replaced, you may be able to get a good price because of this. I am going to talk to the dealers in my area and it may speed up my decision. But I will most likely wait and see what the new bota's have to offer.

Good luck on your decision, that will be a tough choice, but if you get what "you" want it will be the right choice.

Be sure to let us know what you decide.

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase #7  
"....M4900, M5700, & M6800 are being PHASED OUT."

Yes it might be time to save some serious $$. Please let us know if you hear of any programs.

My short list for the next acquisiton lists either an M5700 or an M6800. When the L4300s were phased out they had a $2K cash rebate program to clear out inventory. I might move up the purchase date a year or two if they make it worthwhile.

I've looked at everything on your list but the Massey. No nearby Massey dealers while the nearest Orange and Green dealers are both within 15 miles and very good. The 12x12 transmission does seem to be well ahead of the others. However, you won't go wrong with any of them. As I recall the JD5205 is about 400 or 500 lbs. heavier than the M-series Kubotas you list and runs a larger displacement engine. Those might be a factors to consider.

Those 5 cylinder Kubotas have gotta be smoooooth; but the 4 cylinder M4800 is a good value and will probably do all you want...it definitely should have a couple of remotes though.

If there's alot of serious bush hogging to do you may want to go to a medium or HD hog. They're quite heavy and the weight is back a ways. Make sure whatever you buy has the weight to handle one with the FEL off. Once the place shapes up a bit you may want to mow without the FEL. The dealer should be able to help with this.
Bob

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase #8  
How close are your dealers?

What are the dealerships parts/service depts like?

What is their flat rate per hour on service?

You probably won't need much in the way of service up front, so how long have the dealers been in business?

The tractors you have picked are good machines. I don't know your financial position but, if you look at the JD 5X25 series, you might see some bells and whistles you might like. OTOH, a 4wd 5205 is a solid workhorse as are the Kubotas. Whistles such as easier trannys, isolated work platforms, etc...

Are you going to plant hay? Cows?

Me, I dream of air conditioned cab to extend tractor season (during our hot/humid summers). Watch out, we are known to help spend peoples money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase #9  
How do you plant a cow?

/ Gentlemen I need your help on Tractor Purchase
Thank you for your suggestion site on remotes, now I know a little more insight to that issue.

You also said you like the M6800, ok I have not priced this animal yet, what's it going for w/ loader ?

Waiting for the new Models to come out, I'm curious why, Price incentives ? or Newer Model Improvements ? or what ?

I'm sure I would like to see your data notes on the tractors your looking at I think I might need what you need or close relative. Please stay in touch...

Again, Thank-you