New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase #21  
In my opinion you should consider what I believe to be the top three in the SubCUT line:

Kubota
Massey
John Deere

Ouch!!! COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.... My rating would be like this:

New Holland
Case IH
John Deere
Kubota
Massey

As far as price, the TZ22DA is priced right in line with the BX2230. The JD2210 should be more than the TZ. Regional differences will not be more than $500. If it is, then your dealer is either giving you a deal or selling the tractor at list price.

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase #22  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( The massey has the single toggle type peddle and the others have 2 pedals, one for forward one for reverse. Since I won't be able to get a feel for it before I buy does anybody have an opinion?)</font>

Seems on this site, everybody's got an opinion! Ahh, but back to your question, I tried the JD2210 and the MF GC2300. I honestly thought from a safety standpoint, the rocker pedal suited me better. I was concerned that with the forward and reverse pedals so close together on the JD, I could get 'em confused in a hairy situation and end up going the wrong way. For the most part, the treddle pedal suits me fine.

Be aware that like many have commented about the Kub BX, the pedal on the MF may "stick" a little in forward or reverse (i.e. not coming quite all the way back to the center / neutral position when you let off it). My dealer worked on it, and it got better, but the situation still persisted, though to a lesser extent.

That said, there are rare instances when I'm at the threshold of a hill or backing up to mount an implement that I might have to tap the pedal in the opposite direction so I don't overshoot the other way. The other situation where I can find it a bit awkward is when using an implement on the 3PH and working in reverse. Operating the pedal in that scenario can sometimes put my knee right about at the 3PH lever, so my knee sometimes bumps the lever, inadvertantly lifting the implement. These circumstances are rare; besides them, I like the rocker pedal.

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase #24  
<font color="blue">
2* dropping some trees
3*do you think that the cheaper Kubota 2300 is good enough for what I want to do?
about 10,500 compared to the JD and Massey at 12000.
############### </font>

2*How big are the trees and how many of them? This has a a lot to do with whither you should by bigger or buy smaller for the other jobs and simply hire somebody to take care of the trees .
If you can pay somebody 500 to a 1000 to take care of the trees why pay another 1 to 4 thousand for a bigger tractor?
Another thing buying bigger is not always buying smarter as in some cases the correct combination of 2 tractors could be a more desirable solution rather than 1 bigger tractor.
3*R read my post in the thread link I posted. See what you think then.
Kubota 2300 10,500 compared to the JD and Massey at 12000.
All 3 of these tractors will do the same thing.
Ask yourself if you were going to pay me for doing the task you have in mind would you rather pay me $10500 or $12000 for this same job?
Look at all I accomplished with my BX23 for 15500 now why would in the world would I want to have spent 17000 on doing these task?

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase #25  
I wouldn't worry too much about using your tractor on 1/2 acre. That's what I have and I still use my machine alot. Mostly for landscaping projects and Snow removal.
I still use a push mower for lawn.

One thing you want to think about is safety. You can get hurt really quick if you are not paying attention etc.

Reading through the safety forum wouldn't be a bad idea. Here's an article on safety. web page

Good luck

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied. You have given me plenty to make my decision and also much more to think about with my uses of the tractor.

Thanks Kurt

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase #27  
I just got my Cub5234D Diesal 4x4 a month ago. So far, no major problems. I have a front loader & rear finish mower on it for balance. The only flaws so far has been the control lever for the front loader is a bit geeked up. Seems like it's bent wrong( I still need to look into it)I have the AG tires and already have had a flat, and lastly the hydraulic lines run too close between the front tire and the loader frame. All minor things. The front loader does not have any hooks on it (that sucks) and the frame has VERY little ground clearence. I use mine on 10 acres for general clearing and work. so far, so good. hope that helps

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase #28  
Not to cloud the issue for you any more than it is, but there are two machines made in this area that may be of interest. That would be the Steiner and the Ventrac. Both are low ground clearance articulated machines. Both are used extensively in places like college campuses, golf courses, city parks, etc. Both have an extensive line of attachments.
An articulated machine may offer you more maneuverability than a regular tractor. They have their limitations and their advantages, like anything else, but you might want to look into this type of machine.

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but there are two machines made in this area that may be of interest. That would be the Steiner and the Ventrac.... Both have an extensive line of attachments.... An articulated machine may offer you more maneuverability than a regular tractor...)</font>

Make that THREE in that category. Can't forget the Power Trac /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Compact / sub Compact Tractor Purchase #30  
Just wondering what you ended up going with, I am interested in the same line of tractors...went to Randall in Latham, Sharon Springs in Brunswick for Kubota (did not dicker at all). Where'd you go for MF, Abele...ps I am in Brunswick...small world!