Goodbye Ford 4000...hello...L2800??

/ Goodbye Ford 4000...hello...L2800?? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( He got a good deal.. figure 1500 to reman the mosquito-fogger engine and 1000-1500 to swap in a real tranny.. and he's at 4000$ on the 4000.. that's still a good price in this part of the country! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Soundguy )</font>

I was quoted $2500 for the transmission swap and I don't believe that included the PTO (may have...). Other little things needed attention also like all four tires on their last leg, a power steering pump that needed rebuild or replacement, and a front mounted hydraulic pump and reservoir for the loader that had to be removed before any engine work could start. And it had a cast iron grille that must have weighed nearly 300 lb. I had to remove it by using the loader arms to lift it high enough so I could chain the grille up to a ceiling truss and back the tractor out from under it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyhow, I wanted the guy to be happy with his purchase. I was sure happy to see it go, although I got my money back out of it by using it to clean up a mobile home park after closing it down. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Goodbye Ford 4000...hello...L2800?? #12  
Yeah.. that 1500$ figure was for a working or near working traden in on the sos.. and te purchase of the gear. I know a few places will actualy do that.. buy your sos and sell you a gear... that way they can recon or part out your sos.. I'm sure it is tedious work.. but somebodies got to do it.. lots of SOS trannies running around out there just waiting to give up the ghost! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

300# grill.. now that's cruel!

Soundguy

/ Goodbye Ford 4000...hello...L2800??
Gentlemen, thanks for the replies. I feel much better about the deal now. The radiator just started leaking this week, and we keep having to change plugs on the engine, and yeah, it's smoking. I'm starting to feel like we took THE DEALER on this deal. Dad paid $2300 when he bought it 15 years ago, and is getting $2250 in trade.