short-term vs long-term objectives

/ short-term vs long-term objectives #1  

dogitz

Tractor
Kubota L39
Everybody,

Thanks for all the posts. The whole TBN community is very helpful and forthcoming with great advice. The information is getting me a real education in farm/construction tractors and implements.

I have about 5AC (mixed terrain from flat to 20-degree slopes), mostly under douglas fir and madrone in red clay. I need to clear the merchantable timber and hardwood so I can create a park-like setting with fruit trees, vegetable gardens, and flower beds. Grasses and wildflowers will create a meadow-like setting in the open spaces.

I would like to keep my equipment costs under $20k. However if I am to spend that much, I want the investment to serve both short-term and long-term objectives, like these:

SHORT-TERM OBJECTIVES:

- clear stumps (5-30" diameter); 100-200 in number
- chip/grind and compost debris (<6" diameter)
- make some grade adjustments (major and minor)
- dig trenches for irrigation and rain catchments

LONG-TERM OBJECTIVES:

- chipping of tree limbs
- shredding of green materials
- transport of compost, amendments, materials
- mow, cut or otherwise maintain the open areas

At this point, I believe the large stump removal and major grade adjustments should be contracted out, since they require industrial-class equipment. The other task can probably be accomplished with a single TLB, CUT or other.

I am currently investigating the following issues, but would like to hear what more experienced folks think:

- ballpark estimates of heavy activities if contracted out
- types of equipment for long and short-term objectives
- sizes (HP) of equipment for long and short-term objectives
- cost range of equipment for long and short-term objectives
- best-fit single piece of equipment for total project (type/size)

Since I am not yet familiar with the particular makes/models, I am most interested in generic equipment types/sizes rather than brand-specific models.

Example:
TLB 43HP ENGINE/31HP HYDRAULIC VERSUS JD 110TLB

Thanks for all your feedback. Very much appreciated.

/ short-term vs long-term objectives #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ballpark estimates of heavy activities if contracted out )</font>

I would expect the cost to vary considerably in different parts of the country, and of course the cost per stump for something like stump grinding would probably vary with the number of stumps to be ground. But I had a single weeping willow stump ground down by a stand alone machine (not tractor mounted) for $75 a couple of weeks ago.

/ short-term vs long-term objectives #3  
Wow, on that small acreage and with what you want to do plus the smallish budget I would recommend contracting out all of your short term goals with the exception of trenching irrigation lines which can be easily done in with a rented ditch witch since in the lower areas of the northwest you don't need to go very deep at all.

Your long term goals on 5 acres are all possible with even a smallish tractor and loader. A large number of models exist taht will be very good. Realize that the backhoe attachment adds 5-7 thousand dollars which is a good third of your budget.

I am currently about done with the clearing of a chunk of my land. The logger was contracted to cut and remove everything and in exchange he would remove and burn all slash, stumps, and junk. Leaving clear ground for me to smooth out and build on or in.

What most of us consider major excavation on a residential site is a one day deal with a good sized dozer. Expect 1000$ a day.

Stumping isn't much fun unless you have the right equipment. The logger used a large excavator to push over the 36" or so cedars stumps and all. Some were cut and that machine could pop a stump in no time.

/ short-term vs long-term objectives #4  
I've just cleared a house-site and driveway on a heavily-wooded almost 5-acre lot. Not sure exactly how well it compares to your situation, but you can see what I've done at the Major Lot Clearing link on this page.

Lot Clearing

I found that an excavator (or track-hoe) with a thumb on the bucket to be the most versatile all around machine. I've attached a pic. It will remove stumps much faster than grinding or with a dozer. We also used a dozer, and for just pushing dirt or brush around, it is the best, but the excavator is much more versatile...

Prices vary widely based on area of the country -- I paid $75 an hour -- with a fixed $200 charge to bring the equipment on site...

Also, I found that there was simply far too much slash to consider chipping it... I plan on burning it this winter when the woods around it are good and sopping wet. I'll chip the small stuff that comes from thinning the remaining forest...

Attachments

• 759251-Img_0901_800.jpg
    759251-Img_0901_800.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 161
   / short-term vs long-term objectives
All >>

Thanks for the confirmation. I have removed large stumps manually and with stump grinders. Both were no fun. I suspected that only a large excavator would do the job well, and all of you have confirmed that inclination. With the 100-200 stumps to pull, I will definitely look into contracting out that portion of the work.

Highbeam >>

$1000 per day for excavator is about what I have heard locally too. Will request formal estimates this week.

KentT >>

Your Major Land Clear could've been on my property from the looks of the pics.

Again, thanks guys for your help.

/ short-term vs long-term objectives #6  
There is something pretty satisfying when you finally extract the stump. Kind of a victory made sweeter by the number of hours spent working at it.