To buy local or not to buy local

/ To buy local or not to buy local #21  
I used the $100 as a bargaining chip. The local car dealers literally asked me to shop around and decide exactly what I wanted, then come and see them with the best price I could get from the big city high pressure lots. Inevitably, the local guys could at least match the price, sometimes do better. It holds true for used cars, too. The one I drive now I bought just after 9/11. I bought it locally, in much better shape and for less money than the same model in lots as far as 75 miles away.

Let your local guy know you are shopping and that you value local businesses, and you might be surprized what kind of deal he can cut you.

/ To buy local or not to buy local #22  
How far do you go to save $800? If you don't mind doing all the maintenance yourself and fixing easy stuff yourself why not. Even if you have to go to the local dealer for a major repair, I doubt a salesman will go back to the service department, who also wants your business, to sabotage your repair.

Don't be afraid to say this dealer X is offering me a better deal, what are you going to do for me?

Also remember though, you can develop a business relationship with a local dealer that will last for years. You need a part, an attachment etc. they will know you and try to help. You need a rental of whatever they know you and know where you live. If they're a good dealer they'll tell why buy that attachment, just rent it, we trust you.

Odds are you'll be dealing with the local dealer anyway.

Some small town dealers might not like you because you didn't buy it from them, so you need to figure that out too.

Me, I'm at a stage in my life where I buy American, and pay a premium for it. I'm not wasting money, but investing.

/ To buy local or not to buy local #23  
$800 im not sure, I am running into the same thing but im talking about 3K in difference, we are going to buy 3 hours north!

KC

/ To buy local or not to buy local #24  
3k is sufficient money to look for a deal. If it wer 1k or less.. I'd think about local, depending on the 'extra' special warm feeling the dealer gave me.. but 3k.. heck.. that's 90% of a chinese tractor!!

Soundguy

/ To buy local or not to buy local #25  
Soundguy and KCook,

I went 3 hours South for 3k--the local dealer's salesmen didn't offer any warm and fuzzies to boot /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif He just said "That's our price" /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The parts guys are great, but I think the sales guy gets enough business he could care less about a little old 5203.

gbates.

/ To buy local or not to buy local #26  
I'd go out of state............and I did /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.................but here is why

The dealers I spoke to were about as arrogant as they could possibly be along with rediculous pricing. That is my reason . Shipping or transportation costs is a legitamate concern but $800 is $800 and if a dealer is going to say that warranty work will not be performed because you didn't buy from them a phone call usually takes care of that

/ To buy local or not to buy local #27  
I can understand a dealer saying this is the best I can do but at least be nice about it.So many times the dealers give you the impression if you don't like it tough go somewhere else.It is usually that dealer who is having a tough time to stay in business and can't give you a decent deal anyway.I would likely imagine that if you had a problem after the sale this dealership isn't going to go to bat for you anyways.If you can find a good dealer and a good deal even if it is a little distance away it may be well worth it in the long run.

/ To buy local or not to buy local #28  
If a dealer is not nice to you why would you want to do business with them? I don't gamble much, but, look at this way: If you decide to sit down at a poker game, you know up front everyone there there wants your money. You, bid, you fold, you check, you bluff, and in the end if you play you're all in or maybe you walk out ahead of the game.

A compact utility tractor is a very useful tool. If you own some land you need one. I don't regret getting one, but again it costs real money.

Our family still has our childhood tractors, they're rusting away, but we still got them. You just form an attachment to them because they help you get stuff done. Just an example, a small tree gets knocked over in a midwest storm: old way, get chain saw out cut into pieces throw into cart and haul to burn pile. CUT with FEL: pick up whole tree and put in burn pile.

Look, you have to live with whatever budget you have, so you have to decide where to purchase.

/ To buy local or not to buy local #29  
TO SAVE SALES TAX,ONLY TO GET A BILL FROM THE STATE OF MAINE

Yes, and we also are supposed to declare everything we order online. Also, many private purchases; I.E, used boats, canoes...

I do it /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, and I just KNOW you do, too. Gotta support Gov B's spending, don't we?

/ To buy local or not to buy local #30  
I think most states have something in their income tax form that enables them to collect taxes from out-of-state purchases. Here in Ohio it's pretty much an honor system, but you would have to wonder how long it will be before someone comes up with a law requiring the credit card companies to report interstate sales. Don't you just love it when the government grows it's way deeper into your wallet?