Tractor Mower or Sub-Compact Tractor?

/ Tractor Mower or Sub-Compact Tractor? #1  

Erikthered

Hi. I'm brand new to the forum and would appreciate some advice. My wife and I own a 7-acre estate with 2 acres of lawn. We need a new tractor mower, but I was thinking, would it be better to buy a sub-compact tractor instead? If I bought the sub-compact, I would still need a mower and snowblower attachments.

How much would I pay for a sub-compact tractor? Price, unfortunately, is an issue.

Thanks

/ Tractor Mower or Sub-Compact Tractor?
Anyone know how much the New Holland sub-compact goes for? Or are all sub-compacts about the same price?

/ Tractor Mower or Sub-Compact Tractor? #4  
Depending on where you are located about $1-2K more then the BX, the JD is a about $1-2K more too. Why not fill in your Bio so folks can give you an idea of the local market.

How do I fill in bio information?

I checked with our local New Holland dealer today about a sub-compact. They quoted me $11K. Seems way expensive.

By the way, I'm a Yankees fan too. My grandpa (Joe Gordon)played 2nd base for the Yank's beginning in 1938.

/ Tractor Mower or Sub-Compact Tractor? #6  
With 7c, 2 in lawn.. I'd get mid 18-24 hp somewhere in that range. That way you can pull a 5' finish mower on the mid to upper end, and a 4' hog on any of them.. or at least a 44" on the 18hp unit.

What all you planning on doing with it besides 2ac of finish lawn mowing and possible driveway maintenance?

Soundguy

/ Tractor Mower or Sub-Compact Tractor? #8  
I agree with SoundGuy as far as HP. A few questions...Is the 2 acre lawn part hilly or flat? Are you doing anything with the other 5 acres? Is it wooded or lots of brush? Will you be developing/clearing it? Is your driveway gravel? That may help determine the HP you need or if you need to go to the compact market. If you're hauling/clearing brush on the rest of the acreage, or need to add more gravel then you may need to go bigger. Then it opens you up to the used/reconditioned options which are more than half the price of new.

Good luck.

The other five acres is fenced pasture where we keep our three horses. My wife would like a riding arena in the pasture, which would require leveling an area and placing gravel/sand.

The other two acres are grass and are relatively flat, however, there are lots of trees to negotiate around on the perimeter of the yard.

The driveway consists of two paths each a 100 yards long and graveled. There is some brush to clear on the property and I expect to occassionally have to remove debris from the ditches.

Thoughts?

/ Tractor Mower or Sub-Compact Tractor? #10  
I have 10 acres, pretty flat, with the remnants of an old almond orchard (28 trees) in the middle of the property.

I bought a 21 HP Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 front end loader (FEL) for $12,600 last May (10% down, 36 months at 0% APR). It's in the sub-CUT class.

Added a King Kutter 48" brush hog ($675 at Tractor Supply Co.), a KK 48" box blade ($375 also from TSC) and a used Yanmar RS1200 rototiller (48" wide) for $300 from a local grey market tractor dealer.

Deduct maybe $4K if you don't want an FEL, but I would strongly advise getting the FEL. You'll find a jillion uses for it.

My tractor has ag tires so it's no good for lawn mowing. But you can order the wide landscape tires if you don't mind sacrificing some tire bite.

Like most of the modern CUTs, it can accommodate a mid-mounted mower for landscape work. I don't own a MMM, but, IIRC, they run a couple thousand bucks.

If you're going to use the tractor to mow that 2-acre lawn, be sure you don't make a big mistake and buy a tractor that's too large to navigate around your landscaping features (planting islands, lawn fountains, etc.). CUTs are not zero turn radius machines.